Porth Merryn, Small Cornish Fishing Port

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Much better, Andy, although Jason has a point, too. But low-relief structures only really work against the backscene, I think. Any other location and you will inevitably find a viewing angle that shows them to be false.

The warehouse gave a purpose for the siding; not sure there is one now?

That's a very good point Jason, I'll need to think about that one, the problem with the Fish Warehouse was its width end on, in the original Plan the back scene was going right behind it, so it wouldn't have been so obvious.

I can always say that it was just for Ship Loading in the Old days, now it's just for collecting Fish from the Boats that come into the other part of the Harbour.

• Like 1

That's true Bogie, he has worked so hard to empty the last two wagons and now another has turned up.hahhah

In point of fact he's an old Merit / Model Scene one, I have several around the Layout and on Pencarne that will be replaced as I find decent ones.

Hi Andy,

I agree, this chap looks like he needs a good feed. A pie or two from here in Wigan should do the trick (not that I am fat by any means!)

However, I had a similar scenario a few weeks ago with figures to populate the coal bunkers here on Berry Pomeroy. These two chaps were the solution and fitted in the scene wonderfully. Add in a merchant's lorry or horse and cart and the scene is much enhanced.

post-19925-0-38108800-1465322423_thumb.jpg

Chris :)

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Popped in to see Porth Merryn tonight and the pictures just do not do it justice - it looks much better ... as a viewpoint I think that the harbour master's house actually looks better than the warehouse did and also allows a bit more 'track view'

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Andy - I tend to think of Padstow etc as North Cornwall. West Cornwall sounds like St Ives, maybe even Penzance?

As someone who has been to Padstow recently, definitely North Cornwall and of course just up the road from Padstow is a landlocked St Merryn.

Peter

Popped in to see Porth Merryn tonight and the pictures just do not do it justice - it looks much better ... as a viewpoint I think that the harbour master's house actually looks better than the warehouse did and also allows a bit more 'track view'

Peter

As someone who has been to Padstow recently, definitely North Cornwall and of course just up the road from Padstow is a landlocked St Merryn.

Peter

Thanks Peter for both posts, hopefully Porth Merryn will have a Show sometime soon.

The Harbour has had 6 coats of Varnish so far but it looks like it will need many more yet. When I'm home and its hot like today I can do 3 coats, Morning Tea time and Bed time so another few days and it should look quite good.

• Like 1

The house looks better than the warehouse Andy, but agree the warehouse gives the port some meaning. Would the shed fit across the end of port in low relief, where the store is? Store could take the place of the house.

Thanks Andy in a word NO, I did look at that but the store looked wrong and the warehouse is to long and would mean the other cottages would need to go and there would be no road entrance either.

Good idea though mate.

Never mind. I had a feeling the store would be too long. There are two other options of course.

A) you could extend the front of the layout to add more harbour and then place the store next to the shop at the front.

Or

B) you could build ANOTHER layout!!!!

Hi Andy,

The Warehouse to the house debate, I think the house is better (especially now the wall has been fitted), but as Jason says, the warehouse gave it some purpose.

A difficult one really, although, who's to say that the warehouse isn't just off scene around the corner from the shop.

Lovely work as usual Andy

Jinty ;)

Hi Andy,

The harbour master's house looks much better; who knows the siding could have been for delivering supplies to RAF AIr Sea Rescue launches during the war! Looks great as always and keep up the good work.

Best wishes

Nige

• Like 1

Thanks David and Nige, I must say the House looks so much better, and yes the Fish House could be around the Quay and off scene as are many things on a Model Railway in a limited area.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

THe Warehouse was more reminiscent of the Net Drying Sheds at Hastings (actually Net Storage as they dried them on the beach) fine if it was set in Sussex but not very Cornish.  

Don

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough.

I hadn't got as far as your post when I made the comment about the Sheds or I would have referred to it. Martin brent modelled some when he built Rye Harbour to give that sense of sussex. Something stone built seems more in keeping with Cornwall. I think that is why the house looks better even though it is less appropriate as a function.

Don

Today I've put some rough scrub land to the right hand end near the Coal Yard and built a wall for the Harbour Masters House.

attachicon.gifHarbour Masters House 2 001.JPG

attachicon.gifHarbour Masters House 2 002.JPG

attachicon.gifHarbour Masters House 2 003.JPG

attachicon.gifHarbour Masters House 2 004.JPG

attachicon.gifHarbour Masters House 2 005.JPG

attachicon.gifHarbour Masters House 2 007.JPG

The buildings are much better and fits the bill nicely...

• RMweb Gold

Blimey Andy!

I've already got a list of layouts as long as my arm to catch up on, and now I find you've snuck another one in!

What a great looking little layout, I'm almost tempted to try a little dockside theme myself, now...

Al.

Blimey Andy!

I've already got a list of layouts as long as my arm to catch up on, and now I find you've snuck another one in!

What a great looking little layout, I'm almost tempted to try a little dockside theme myself, now...

Al.

Thanks Al, Firstly it's great to have you back with us mate, yes its a lovely little Layout and started on the 3rd April and influenced by John Flann's small Layouts like Port Breedy.