Just how much room do you need for an O gauge layout?

• RMweb Premium

I've got a pile of (mostly borrowed/stolen/acquired) ideas for minimum space OO layouts, but the prospect of Dapol's 08, along with a few wagon kits mean that quite a few idea scribbles now have O-gauge dimensions added to the bottom, and anything like this to add to the file makes the already slippery slope just that little bit steeper and more slippery.

Will I be able to resist? :O  

Do I want to resist? :no2:

A 3-2-2 inglenook only needs ONE loco and FIVE wagons, EIGHT wagons for the full 5-3-3. There is no need to buy any more than that. 5 wagons will cost about the same as the 08 (or less if you buy secondhand), and you can use a hidden traverser or sector plate to avoid the need for pointwork (and save space), so you just need a few yards of track. There's no need for a slippery slope at all :angel:.

See second link below .......

Not much, is the answer, especially if it folds/packs away neatly for storage. Mine is currently occupying floor space 16"x13", while standing discreetly in a corner. If I draped a cloth over it, and stood a potted aspidistra on top, it might even be more discreet.

And, when Peco, eventually, get round to issuing their small-radius points, things will get a lot easier for those who adhere to "fine" wheel standards.

Kevin

post-26817-0-14331800-1460304700_thumb.jpg

I was always impressed by Halstead, which is only 5' long.

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=9634&highlight=halstead

Cracking little layout - thanks for the link!

Julian Andrews one of the masters of the micro layout built a tiny little layout called 'Micr-0' a few years ago which was about 3' in length. It was based around the same concept as Chase Creamery above (pointless inglenook) but more constrained. It was featured in Railway Modeller, although I cannot remember exactly... (if anyone can enlighten I'd be interested to know so I can try and get hold of it myself). A bit of 'googling' should turn up a couple of pictures.

David

PS - see a cheeky glimpse in a photo in this thread -http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41457-exmoor-rail-saturday-6th-august/?fromsearch=1

Tiny as I said!!

PPS - RM seems to be March 2013 (if anyone can help me with a copy of the article I'd happily reimburse them)

Who'd have ever thought there would be a 'mine's smaller than yours' thread on RMweb. :)

At 8ft long I feel quite inadequate.

Peter

Ha... don't come in here waving your 8ft around like that!!! ;)

I was always impressed by Halstead, which is only 5' long.

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=9634&highlight=halstead

It's a nice little layout, but I'm not sure how satisfying it would be to operate. There's no way to run round a train, without reversing into the fiddle yard and lifting the loco off to put on the other end. It's what I struggled with on my original plan for Holman's End, which is why I'm now planning to make it bigger.

You don't need much space at all for an O Scale shunty-plank, even for American outline.

Some of my layouts, with sizes:-

Portway Terminal, USA, 15ft x 1ft.

Portway Center, USA, 12ft x 2ft.

Withyn Reach, UK, 10ft x 1ft.

Lydllow Goods, UK, 5ft x 1ft,

& finally, I also built a standard gauge O scale layout in an A4 Boxfile, once. ;) :P

Archived