Ixion Fowler Diesel Conversion - Bodgers Away

81A Oldoak

Further progress on the Ixion Fowler conversion. The superstructure has been fixed to the footplate. I had planned to use the sandboxes from the donor corpses, but it proved to be quicker and easier to fabricate them from plasticard strip rather than sawing off the originals. The buffers are Markits from the stores, but I added cosmetic 1.3mm  bolt heads from the military modelling pack. The cab steps are made from scrap plasticard and the air brake reservoirs are from the donors. I think we are almost there. Prototype photos show some simple steps behind each buffer that I will probably solder up from scrap brass strip and wire and the cab doors need handles. A toolbox or two may also appear, but as this is a War Department loco run by the Army I expect it to be kept tidy and bulled-up.

Stay tuned to this frequency.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-60329200-1461407276_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-11886900-1461407279_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Guest Isambarduk

I have only just spotted your write up here of your conversion, Chris.  Like it and I am fascinated to see the end result.

As I said 'elsewhere', I see have some serious competition when it comes to 'knocking about' an Ixion (see: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GCR_Humber.htm)

As for "Is there likely to be any butchery to the chassis?? :butcher:   Pretty please?"  I expect Chris will need but a few minor tweaks but it can easily be done; here is a sandbox disappearing from the frames of an Ixion Hudswell Clarke:

GCR278MillOffSandBoxes.jpg

David

Edited by Isambarduk

I have only just spotted your write up here of your conversion, Chris.  Like it and I am fascinated to see the end result.

As I said 'elsewhere', I see have some serious competition when it comes to 'knocking about' an Ixion (see: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/GCR_Humber.htm)

As for "Is there likely to be any butchery to the chassis?? :butcher:   Pretty please?"  I expect Chris will need but a few minor tweaks but it can easily be done; here is a sandbox disappearing from the frames of an Ixion Hudswell Clarke:

GCR278MillOffSandBoxes.jpg

David

David,

Fortunately, this Fowler conversion is a simple "top and drop". The chassis needs no modification at all so the job is essentially a DIY Airfix kit. One of the pleasing features of industrial railways is that the owners often altered their locomotives to suit particular local needs so we can get away with almost anything unless one belongs to certain school that probably wears hair shirts or, worse still, the age old British Army KF shirt. We had a dour Scottish quartermaster in the Staffords who famously declared, "The KF shirt; another word for discipline".

• Like 1

Monty has been on the receiving end of a drive-by shooting with a can of Halford's primer. Actually, it has pulled the model together nicely. The buffer beams were masked up and a top coat of satin black was applied this evening.

post-13142-0-23897900-1461700826_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-51971500-1461700828_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

MONTY has received a top coat of Halford's satin black and stands in ex-works condition at Cwm Bach awaiting some finishing touches. Nameplates and British Transport Commission registration plates have been commissioned from Narrow Planet. I need to make some later WD transfers with the crow's foot replaced with an inverted V. I have looked at the Modelmaster and Railtec 4mm scale decals, but by the time P&P is included I will have to spend about £8, which seems rather dear so I will hold fire for the time being. The buffers are Markits and look rather undernourished. If I knew how to use my Unimat 3 lathe I could turn some replacements, but that will have to wait too. Weathering will be minimal as this loco will be an Army Brat and kept bulled-up. 

MONTY is shown next to KITCHENER for comparison with an original Ixion Fowler. . There seems to be an optical illusion as both locos have the same length of footplate, but the original Fowler looks longer.

post-13142-0-04469800-1461943484_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-86056900-1461943492_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-06181600-1461943538_thumb.jpg

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

Chris,

OK, that's the concept realised, when's the model going to be released? LOL.

Nice freelance conversion with the right 'feel' of thecentre cab versions.

There looks to be plenty of space in the new engineroom for a decent speaker, too.

Kind regards,

Paul

Excellent conversion Chris, it's strange how the original Fowler looks longer, yet the running plates are the same length. Maybe it's something to do with the angled front on the Fowler.

All in all, a lovely little conversion.

Jinty ;)

So where can we buy the spare fowler bodies to do this sort of conversion? Any factory rejects you are willing to sell off?

Otherwise, there is an opportunity for an after-market parts conversion kit with instructions.

Edited by hartleymartin

THe quality of the Ixion Fowlers was so good that we have only had a couple of returns from about 600 sold. I think it would be quite easy to design and make a cast resin or 3D-printed kit of the centre-cab version, but that still leaves the problem of finding a decent spare chassis.

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

Someone tries to follow your example, but just doesn't have the skill you have :jester:.

So kind :)  Brilliant!   Made me laugh out loud so thank you for that :)  :laugh: David

• 3 years later...

Hi Chris,just dropped on this thread.Somewhere lurking in the "things to do box "is a Judith Edge kit( I think) of a very similar loco.It's been sitting there about 25 or 30 years waiting on............

Phil

Well look what I found...not Judith Edge after all,apologies.

Cant remember what it cost now,but about 80 quid all in seems to ring a bell.(told you it was a long time ago).

20200420_103848.jpg

Edited by 34006

• 1 year later...