Hello, I am new here . . .

GJO

My model railway activities were suspended in the 1980s and I am planning a return to the hobby with a 7mm scale model of Shipston-on-Stour station as it might have been had the GWR 'gone the whole hog' and upgraded the full length of the old tramway for locomotive haulage with a connection via the SMJ at Stratford - all of which would have been possible.

I know that Shipston has been covered in RMWeb topics already and that there are some excellent layouts based on this particular prototype. That is how I first discovered the wisdom of this forum - I had been searching the web for information about the branch and its history! Having 'lurked' and browsed the forum for several months, it is time to introduce myself.

Back in the 1980s, I when did not have the space to build a permanent layout, I thoroughly enjoyed building and painting rolling stock in anticipation of a day when I might find the time and space to build build something bigger. In those days I built or modified kits such as the white metal 43:1 series produced by A.B.S. models and the plastic kits originally supplied by Websters (then Peco) as well as those from Slaters and several other manufacturers. I also built a few from scratch and experimented with casting my own parts in white metal. I have yet to open up all the boxes in my storage container but I am looking forward to building a Springside 48XX 0-4-2T kit which was the last one that I bought and a Vulcan 57XX Pannier tank kit. Both were carefully packed away and are unlikely to have deteriorated. Having now settled on Shipston as a prototype, I regret not having purchased the Vulcan kit for a GWR 2301 Class (Dean Goods) when it was available.

Anyway, my real reason for posting is to seek advice on some of the changes that have obviously taken place over the last 35 years. The first things that come to mind are as follows:

Controllers - I haven't a clue what DCC is but it looks complicated and expensive - is it still possible to obtain reliable straight forward 12 Volt DC controllers? Or are these now regarded as obsolete?

Gearboxes and motors - my original plan for the 48XX and Pannier was to use a Japanese manufactured small motor with a flywheel coupled to a 'Stubs' gearbox. The latter were marketed to G0G members by Sid Stubs and they employed a helical gear train so that if the power was was interrupted (as in poor track conductivity), a nicely weighted locomotive would continue to move under its own inertia instead of having the wheels 'lock up' as would occur on a conventional worm drive. I have been unable to find a current source for this type gearbox and wondered if anyone could point me to a modern alternative?

Modern soldering - temperature controlled irons and low melt solder appear to be readily available - is this now the best route for assembling white metal kits? I ask this because there has also been some tremendous progress with adhesives and modern Epoxy resins may be stronger than low melt solder.

I am sure that I will have many more questions as my plan develops.

Graham

Hello Graham, welcome to the forum, If you can use and iphone, programme sky planner or similar TV boxes, use a PC then I think you can easily use DCC, I suggest you go have a play with some DCC equipment, your local club, or a model shop who sell DCC sholud be able to help by showing you the basics of what it can do, if you are running a few locos it really helps with the flexibility of controlling 1 or 2 locos at any one time.

Or may be someone on here lives locally to you and may be able to give you a demo.

Best regards

Craig.

Graham,

For motors and gears, I recommend ABC Gears. They are not cheap, but like so many things in life and especially in 7mm scale, you get what you pay for. I am a very contented several-times customer and usually use the 5 pole Canon motor. Website link follows and you can download life-size templates to lay against drawings.  http://www.abcgears.co.uk/ 

Regards,

Chriss

Hello Graham, welcome to the funny farm.

I use DCC and the system I use is really simple to use- it has to be as I am a complete numpty with any electronic gizmos. Using DCC you can enjoy sound and that really adds an extra layer of realism to playing trains.

Dougal.

Graham

welcome on board!

I too have a Springside 48 and a Vulcan 57 - the latter is wonderful, the former is ok - but the suspension, such as it is, is a non starter IMO.  I'm hjappy to provide details of my "fix" for this if you want.  I like whitemetal kits, but there is a thread currently on the Wetern Thunder, in which an MOK 14/48 is being built - if I hadn't already built mine, I would be saving up.  http://westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/grumpys-workbench-mok-14xx.4477/page-20#post-133490

I solder my whitemetal kits together -  personal preference.  there are some very good adhesives out there, but solder is somehow "clean".  With brass, I really wouldn't think of any other approach.

Re DCC, I'm a total convert, with sound.  Others have different views, but the level of control that can be achieved with moderm motors, gearboxes and decoders is spectacular.  That said, there are suppliers of analog DC equipment, Gaugemaster springs to mind, also KPC - they advertise in the Guild mag.

ABC gearboxes are excellent as Chris has said, but I would note that with DCC, dirty track is a non-issue, as you can now fit your locos with capacitors that will carry them over breaks in supply - indeed, with sound this is almost a must as a break in supply without is very noticable.

Don't be shy with your questions, there are lots of knowledgeable and helpful people on here.  Oh, and we like photos!

best

Simon

Hi there,

Welcome to 7mm. As already mentioned, there is a lot of help and advice on here, you only have to ask. And as Simon has already mentioned WE DO LIKE A FEW PICTURES!!!

Jinty ;)

Actually, we like rather a lot.

Hello Graham,

Welcome to the forum.

Our club uses Helmsman controllers for our 7mm layout.

Jeff

P.S. It would be useful, with respect to advice, to know

(roughly) where in the world you are!

Hi Graham,

Welcome to the Forum, always good to see a 7mm layout. As noted above DC is by no means outdated, but it's worth a look at DCC to see if it suits. It might be slightly more expensive, but sound is the thing that converts many.

Keep us posted on developments, looking forward to seeing your layout develop.

Peter

Hi Graham

Welcome to forum. Good to have another 7mm modeller.

I don't use DCC and indeed had no interest in it until the advent of quality sound chips. If you want to hear what I mean have a look at the videos on the West Kirby Town thread. The experience is truly awesome.

The downside for me is the cost of 7mm sound chips and I am not convinced about the realism of steam sounds. However like anything you pays your money and takes your choice. I too have a helmsman controller which is rugged and does the job. However I don't like the slider control and would have preferred a round one. It may be possible to change but I haven't looked into it. For now DCC is off the agenda for me.

Keep the posts coming especially photos!

Paul R

Thanks for the warm welcome. To respond to some of your comments, I have already contacted ABC Gears and have received a helpful reply. As to my location, it varies - my wife and I have invested in a small but rather dilapidated cottage in Cropredy near Banbury. However, for the last ten years (and the foreseeable future) we spend most of our time living on our narrow boat. This will slow things down a bit but the cottage has a nicely built brick and slate garage that is almost 20 feet long and this will house the main part of the Shipston station layout - for 'the rest of the World', one idea is to have a hinged section that can be folded down when the garage door is open to act as a link to a separate portable baseboard (outdoors) that can be put away when not required - this might be a fiddle yard or an intermediate station - possibly, Longden Road which will become a junction in my fictional world.

It is all still in the planning stage and it will be some time before I am able to report on progress with the layout or produce photographs. This is partly because I am still working (fortunately my work takes me to the Shipston/Stratford area frequently) and we also have the cottage to rebuild ('the management' probably regard this as a priority) but having said that, it will be possible to build models within the confines of the boat - especially during Winter evenings. I have recovered a few kits from my storage container and plan to start on the 48XX as soon as I have the gears and motor to hand.

For those who demand pictures, here is an external view of our floating home.

ka20068.jpg

Graham,

If you're at Cropredy you're within spitting distance of me on a Club night (Thursdays) at Leamington and Warwick Club , at Knightcote - about 10 miles away. So if you want to drop by for a chat and a look at the Club layout you're welcome. We usually have a running night on the first Thursday of the month, but PM me if you want to pop in to make sure. It will give you a chance to see what's about and see the difference between DC and DCC control etc.

Peter

Many years ago I planned on building a version of Shipston in 4mm and gathered some info. I take it you have a copy of this among your research material? http://britishrailwaybooks.co.uk/books/ISBN/1874103348.php

Somewhere, I have some photos of the goods shed and surrounding area as it was in the late 1980s that I could dig out if they are of help.

steve

I'd be careful if you plan to have a running section outside of the narrow boat, 7mm stuff will make a louder splash than some of the smaller gauge stuff if it derails off the boards.

Hope this helps .....  :mosking:

Nice boat and great location.

Craig.

From memory, narrow boats are something like 70 feet long. This strikes me as perfectly adequate for a splendid 7mm layout, it's just a case of some domestic readjustment . . .

John

Thanks John,

Unfortunately that would involve tunneling through a few bulkheads and negotiating the big lump in the middle!

gf5.jpg

For the inquisitive, the big lump is a Kelvin K3 marine engine, made in Glasgow. It weighs almost three tons and when new, it was conveyed by train to Lowestoft. Each of the three cylinders has a 6 ins bore and 9 ins stroke. It usually runs at between 100 and 300 rpm and the exhaust sounds uncannily like one of Gresley's K3s especially when pressing on through tunnels.

I think I will stick to using the garage at our cottage.

Graham.

Many years ago I planned on building a version of Shipston in 4mm and gathered some info. I take it you have a copy of this among your research material? http://britishrailwaybooks.co.uk/books/ISBN/1874103348.php

Somewhere, I have some photos of the goods shed and surrounding area as it was in the late 1980s that I could dig out if they are of help.

steve

I have books, maps and photographs in abundance but dimensioned photographs and some idea of brick colouring would be extremely helpful. I know that the weighbridge still lives in what is now a private yard and that most of the buildings were still there in the 1980s - so there may be some colour photographs around.

Graham

Stupid question I know but how do you get parcels delivered to a narrow boat?

Paul R

Just the same as everyone else - we have a letter box at our cottage and very helpful neighbours for when a signature is required. And, unlike the old BR parcels service which I remember from my earliest modelling days, these days most things seem to arrive complete and intact!

Graham

As John noted, the engine is a thing of beauty. Isn't it hugely over powered for a narrow boat, which, almost by definition is quite capable of operating on one horse power?

I had the pleasure & priviledge of travelling to St Kilda on a diving trip many years ago. I'm almost sure the boat had twin Kelvins, perhaps a little larger. She was also about 70' long, but about three times as wide as your vessel!

Best

Simon

Graham

As John noted, the engine is a thing of beauty. Isn't it hugely over powered for a narrow boat, which, almost by definition is quite capable of operating on one horse power?

I had the pleasure & priviledge of travelling to St Kilda on a diving trip many years ago. I'm almost sure the boat had twin Kelvins, perhaps a little larger. She was also about 70' long, but about three times as wide as your vessel!

Best

Simon

To quote a famous engineer, the power is 'sufficient' but the real beauty of this this type of power unit is that it will turn a large propeller very slowly, hour after hour, without undue stress. And, when we do need a bit more, it is there - when navigating down the Bristol Channel form Sharpness to Portishead, we covered the 22 mile journey in just over two hours - it might have been less had we not been forced to wait for the lock at Portishead. Which reminds me, and to get back on topic, we discovered some original GWR trackwork at both locations.

Archived