Volunteering

numpty

I've never really enquired about becoming a volunteer on a heritage railway but thinking about it I have a number of useful skills.

Firstly I have an agricultural background and have driven numerous types of machines and also worked on repairing them.

Secondly I have carried out various estate maintenance jobs and some building work.

Thirdly I also have an academic background, so if someone wanted a few thousand words of dribble sorry thesis I should be to research it and bang it out in a couple of hours,allegedly.Editing may take longer!

So what facilities do they have?

How many hours would you have to put in?

I'm roughly about the same distance from the following-

SVR

Llangollen

Churnet

Foxfield

Cambrian

Telford

Chasewater

In my experience (I'm a current volunteer at one of your local lines and a former volunteer at a couple of lines elsewhere) it's not a case of how much time you have to put in but how much time you have available. That can be slightly different in Operating roles, of course, where the training requirements can be more intensive - I have qualified as Signalman on two lines, both of which required me to pass both written and practical exams. Personally, I now spend about two days per month volunteering, but many volunteers do much more and some do less.

The SVR has a Volunteer Liaison office whose website has a brief description of most of the railway's departments (they have missed off S&T for some reason): http://www.svr-vlo.org.uk/ - in general most railways will have a similar range of roles available for volunteers, so it might offer advice as to the skills required.

The other thing that strikes me about your list of potential lines is the variety of types of line you have available - from a large, mature organisation like the SVR to an embryonic railway like the Cambrian. That will definitely have a big effect on both the main focus of work required, and the general "feel" of the organisation.

• RMweb Gold

Back in 2004 I became a volunteer at a major heritage railway in SE England. My experiences were largely positive, but there were a few big egos in senior positions within the hierarchy. Their attitudes could be somewhat supercilious on occasions, which was neither necessary nor welcoming. I attended one weekend in four, which was as much as I could manage, but secured a position on the footplate roster. A change of job meant that even my one weekend in four had to be abandoned in 2005.

I learned a lot in the space of several months and have some fond memories of locos, drivers and firemen. Most of the latter were generous with their advice. It was clear to me that there were quite a few people whose social life revolved around their volunteering and they put in many hours.

On balance, I'm glad I volunteered and I suspect you would find the same. Whatever you think you know, you'll learn an awful lot more!

• RMweb Gold

Hi ,

All I can say is go for it ! 

I have been an active volunteer on the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland since 1978, and have been on paid staff as well, but back to being on the volunteer strength working in the buildings department and as a guard. Yes some training and exams in the guards duties - perhaps 6 months of training from ground zero to qualified and best done in several large chunks of time.  The buildings work is varied from driving a paint brush to mixing concrete. I am about to undertake another training course on erecting scaffold towers to keep up competency.  

The main thing is the great people I work with and the varied task and folk you get to meet - but flexibility is the key as tasks however well planned can be changed if a more urgent task appears.

I have learnt a lot and done a lot and it gives pleasure to see the line continue to grow and be enjoyed - a little buzz in being part of a successful business and added to that I can see many areas where I have worked to make improvements.  This applies to all the lines you list and I am sure a welcome awaits which ever you choose.

see also www.festrail.com  and go to the volunteering pages  ( shameless plug!)

regards

Robert         

Most preserved railways will take the hand off someone with plant maintenance experience, be careful with "building work" as many preserved railways misconstrue this as "painting" and you may get hacked off quite quickly.  The thing to do initially is arrange to meet up with their volunteer coordinator/liaison officer and get them to show you round and discuss what may be the best use of your skills, if they can't arrange that they probably don't really deserve your time and it may be an indication to look elsewhere.

You'll find that you can work quite easily with your skill set on on-track plant (tampers etc) and most preserved railways will also have some form of digger/fork lift/tractor that NEVER works properly so you will likely be in high demand so, as folks say, you can put in as much time as you have or as much as you want to. 

Couple of words of caution, most preserved railways will require you to undergo some form of induction/training before you are allowed to do anything, they days of just turning up and working there are fast disappearing, this may well include some form of personal track safety course depending on what you want to do.  The other thing to remember is to manage your expectations (depending on what you want to do), not everybody is able to be a signalman, a guard or a train driver.  Not being negative, just involved in volunteer recruitment/training and these are things that we point out to everybody.

Depends on what you want to do. I have directly relevant professional skills, and at times I have quite long periods of time available - I have just had four months off over the winter, for example. I've occasionally contacted preserved lines offering to assist projects, when I felt I had the time, and I've never received a reply of any kind. I don't bother any more.

I've just read Boris' post, above, which seems relevant.

As a volunteer at Foxfield I can say that we are always looking for new volunteers, particularly ones with the skill sets you have. We are happy for people to commit to whatever time they have, be that once a month or every weekend. If you are interested PM me and I will pass on some contact details for the best people to talk to initially.

• RMweb Gold

I've been volunteering for 30 years now and on the whole it has been enjoyable, as with any gathering of people you come across those who are building empires, those who think that everything should be as they want it and certainly those whom only their mothers could love. Equally you get to know likeable, knowledgable and friendly people who become lifelong friends, you just have to apply the same filters as you would in any walk of life.

It's possible on the bigger railways that simply because of the number of people involved you may have to wait a little longer to get involved in what you really want to do, as much as you will want to assess the railway, to see if it suits you, the railway will want to do the same with you, to see if you fit in, can you work in a team, are you willing to do jobs which you might consider beneath you etc., etc. Obviously on a smaller enterprise with less volunteers he chances of a quicker advancement could be greater.

Patience is a virtue, you might think that you are a perfect fit for a position or job on the railway, but you might be behind someone who has volunteered for a few years and is after that same job that you might want...he might not possess your skill but is deserving of a chance because of the time nd effort that he has put in over the years. Unfortunately too rapid a 'promotion' can cause resentment amongst those who have been volunteering for a long time and can make for an unpleasant atmosphere on occasion.

Especially in loco departments a thick skin is a useful attribute, sensibilities can be tested in sometimes ribald conversations. I recall the first bit of advice I was given on my very first day of volunteering...'Keep your mouth shut and your ears open', which has stood me in good stead over the years, although not always adhered to!

The good bits...a sense of belonging to something, making lifelong friendships with people of similar interests, learning new and valuable skills, a sense of achievement when projects you have been in involved with come to fruition, in my case as a driver teaching others footplate skills, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Go for it, be prepared for a few knockbacks and disappointments, but if you can stick with it I'm sure you wil find yourself absorbed in a very satisfying hobby...good luck!

• RMweb Gold

Most preserved railways will take the hand off someone with plant maintenance experience, be careful with "building work" as many preserved railways misconstrue this as "painting" and you may get hacked off quite quickly.  The thing to do initially is arrange to meet up with their volunteer coordinator/liaison officer and get them to show you round and discuss what may be the best use of your skills, if they can't arrange that they probably don't really deserve your time and it may be an indication to look elsewhere.

You'll find that you can work quite easily with your skill set on on-track plant (tampers etc) and most preserved railways will also have some form of digger/fork lift/tractor that NEVER works properly so you will likely be in high demand so, as folks say, you can put in as much time as you have or as much as you want to. 

Couple of words of caution, most preserved railways will require you to undergo some form of induction/training before you are allowed to do anything, they days of just turning up and working there are fast disappearing, this may well include some form of personal track safety course depending on what you want to do.  The other thing to remember is to manage your expectations (depending on what you want to do), not everybody is able to be a signalman, a guard or a train driver.  Not being negative, just involved in volunteer recruitment/training and these are things that we point out to everybody.

Another important point and increasingly the case is that on lines with a full SMS procedure in place they should be insisting that people only undertake tasks they are qualified/trained to undertake so things might go wider than basic PTS training.   But someone with skills/experience need not be put off as it is no more really than regularising the position from an H&S viewpoint to make sure that people can safely undertake whatever they are volunteering to do.

(One concern has been prosecuted - albeit under the wrong legislation but still found guilty - for an accident which occurred due to lack of proper work procedures/training for the task they were doing.  So it isn't just 'bureaucratic twaddle' should someone finish up, as in that incident, with a broken leg.)

Another important point and increasingly the case is that on lines with a full SMS procedure in place they should be insisting that people only undertake tasks they are qualified/trained to undertake so things might go wider than basic PTS training.   But someone with skills/experience need not be put off as it is no more really than regularising the position from an H&S viewpoint to make sure that people can safely undertake whatever they are volunteering to do.

(One concern has been prosecuted - albeit under the wrong legislation but still found guilty - for an accident which occurred due to lack of proper work procedures/training for the task they were doing.  So it isn't just 'bureaucratic twaddle' should someone finish up, as in that incident, with a broken leg.)

Good point Mike, be prepared to take evidence with you of any qualifications you intend to use whilst working on your chosen railway.

The best places to volunteer at are probably the small railway as there is a greater chance you will see the same faces.

If the mess room at Middleton is replicated at other railway then you will have a good banter with other staff.

If you are willing to put in the time and effort you will gain a new group of friends and have a good time.

As a regular at Middleton we have reciprocal travel benefits with various lines so you can have days outon these. I know people at many line's so often can get to see things that the public don't.

Key thing is enjoy yourself.

Are preserved lines, individually or in general, authorised to conduct PTS training? Or do they just conduct equivalent courses for their specific requirements?

The reason I ask, is that I receive a steady stream of agency enquiries for positions which WOULD be attractive, but require PTS. I once had PTS (I have held COSS and the old LUL Protection Master in the past) but obtaining a PTS seems to be a closed shop controlled by a limited number of agents, and can cost you dear.

I was involved with one of the larger concerns, which I won't name here.

I felt pretty invisible and unappreciated apart from when I was being told not to do something. Wouldn't do it again, and wouldn't give that particular rsilway any of my money as a potential punter. If time allows at some future point, I'll look for a one man and his dog outfit rather than going to a big commercial operation.

• RMweb Gold

Are preserved lines, individually or in general, authorised to conduct PTS training? Or do they just conduct equivalent courses for their specific requirements?

The reason I ask, is that I receive a steady stream of agency enquiries for positions which WOULD be attractive, but require PTS. I once had PTS (I have held COSS and the old LUL Protection Master in the past) but obtaining a PTS seems to be a closed shop controlled by a limited number of agents, and can cost you dear.

Because I go out as support crew on the national network I have an NR Sentinel card, but I still have to have an MHR PTS card to allow me on the MHR. Neither one is valid for the other.

Because I go out as support crew on the national network I have an NR Sentinel card, but I still have to have an MHR PTS card to allow me on the MHR. Neither one is valid for the other.

I thought that was probably the case.

The various replies seem to fit together. I hate painting things and have never had any interest in being a ticket collector. I don't have the metal skills to be involved in the loco side and I'm still getting paid to concentrate on 12"= 1' scale, which I actually find quite absorbing. TBH I've rather come to the conclusion that I have no real prospect of becoming involved with a preserved line in the sort of work I'd be interested to do; the bigger lines, and some of the smaller ones simply ignore approaches of that sort, and the small ones don't have the requirement.

I can't see volunteering in my retirement plans, at this stage

• RMweb Gold

If you're talking about preserved lines PTS it shouldn't cost anything once you show willing. As for your other post you won't know what is required of you until you turn up, and, just as importantly, you probably won't know what you enjoy in that environment until you do it.

Obviously you won't always get jobs that you enjoy, but they have to be done, it's the old adage you take the rough with the smooth. As long as you are adaptable, willing to learn and can work in a team you can end up doing and enjoying things you never dreamed of.

Give it a whirl!

I'm a fabricator welder by trade, and at the IWSR, i have absolutely nothing to do with loco's rolling stock or P/way.

I move the marquee for the special events, set up and take down Santa's Grotto (ten weeks work in all), in fact anything but my trade.

It's wonderful, a change is definitely as good as a rest.

Good to hear that you're thinking of volunteering.  I've been a maintenance volunteer at a light railway for about a year now, carrying out jobs like track maintenance, hedge trimming and painting; the jobs vary a lot throughout the year.  When I started, I had virtually no skills useful to the railway, but learnt quickly from fellow volunteers, so I've no doubt your skills would be useful.

To echo AMJ's words; it really is a pleasure to work at a smaller railway because you get to know the same group of people; our mess room is probably very similar to the one at Middleton.

• RMweb Gold

Member of the Swanage railway and unable to volunteer regularly, but over the years my wife has worked on projects at The Durlston Country Park so we've gone down there for a week at a time. I was able to give 4-5 days continuous during the week so as I'm a chippy I said you may as well make the most of my skills while I'm here, ended up in the C&W and made to feel most welcome and appreciated. It was a case of painting as well as repairs to Mk1's.

If I was there more often I would probably look at something a bit different like the S&T or operating side - a world away from regular work.

I volunteered on Swanage Railway from 1986 'til 1998, when I just didn't have the spare time available running my own business. I started in the loco department, on maintaining the running locos, but after a couple of years found working in an engineering workshop environment for 7 days a week just wasn't conducive to my well being, so transferred to the S&T department to give me more chance of outside work. I enjoyed every minute of it, some of the semaphore signals I built are still standing :-). And Chris I some times take my dogs for a walk over Durlston, so if you see a huge Leonberger with a German Shepherd, I most probably will be not far away.

• RMweb Premium

I volunteer as a Guard and Travelling Ticket Inspector on the Mid Hants Railway and TTI on the Severn Valley Railway. I have been on the MHR for 14 years and the SVR for 3 years and I have been made to feel welcome on both lines. I retire from London Underground next week and I am looking forward to being able to spend more time on both lines.

• RMweb Gold

I volunteered on Swanage Railway from 1986 'til 1998, when I just didn't have the spare time available running my own business. I started in the loco department, on maintaining the running locos, but after a couple of years found working in an engineering workshop environment for 7 days a week just wasn't conducive to my well being, so transferred to the S&T department to give me more chance of outside work. I enjoyed every minute of it, some of the semaphore signals I built are still standing :-). And Chris I some times take my dogs for a walk over Durlston, so if you see a huge Leonberger with a German Shepherd, I most probably will be not far away.

Frank Roberts by any chance on the S&T? I met him and got on well with him, really friendly chap and had time for me with all my questions. C&W was Jeremy Weller and Mike Stollery,  again both really good to me. 

Jeremy left me to my own devices and gave me what he thought was a weeks work, I rang him part way through Wednesday as I'd done it all, I treated it as a job of work and without the weekend volunteers there wasn't the distraction of banter.

When you go to Durlston next, in the castle on the list of benefactors is our names, shows how much Madam did when there and what I got roped into doing when not at the railway !! 

Thanks for the replies and there's a lot for me to chew on.

I can't believe people that work in the industry or have much needed skills are not fast track and utilised then again I can't believe that spreadable butter isn't margarine. I guess heritage railways don't have HR managers?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the replies and there's a lot for me to chew on.

I can't believe people that work in the industry or have much needed skills are not fast track and utilised then again I can't believe that spreadable butter isn't margarine. I guess heritage railways don't have HR managers?

Heritage railways have to try and be as lean as possible - IIRC the Bluebell for example only has something like 50 paid full time staff - everyone else is a volunteer. As such a dedicated HR manager is not necessarily needed - department heads can potentially manage their volunteers and paid staff themselves

While I don't want to be rude, I'm afraid there is an element of arrogance in what you have said, which comes over to me as "I cannot believe everyone else cannot see what a wonderful person I am".

Such sentiments will cause friction with the existing volunteer base - and as such can be counter productive. For example it's great if railway X gets someone who can service the plant in their workshop - but not so great if long standing volunteers stop coming because they don't get on with the newcomer.

At the end of the day volunteering is a bit like a relationship leading to marriage. You need to start cautiously, building trust between each side, which in turn opens new possibilities. So while, yes you may have skills associated with a specialist bit of plant, rather than expecting to be let lose on it straight away you need to start small, helping out with more mundane tasks for a bit till both sides are happy with the situation.

Yes Heritage railways do need professional skills, and yes the bigger they are the grater that skills requirement becomes. However heritage railways are also very different from other voluntry organisations in the sense that they have the same safety regulator as the 'big railway' - who will have no compunction in closing down operations if things go wrong. A railway still has the same potential to kill and main regardless of whether its a Herutage setup of the WCML. As such it pays to be cautious particularly as the emphasis is very much on individual railways to actively manage all the risks themselves - which is not easy when no two Heritage railways are the same*.

* This is why Heritage railways are introducing their own bespoke PTS systems - the ORR have said simply relying on a PTS issued by NR to prove knowledge of track safety is unacceptable under the ROGS legislation. PTS should (just as other matters in any railways Safety Management System - which includes workshop plant etc by the way) reflect that particular railway and nobody else.

Archived