Volunteering

numpty

I did a few days of volunteering at Telford a couple of years back and really enjoyed it,  they were a great bunch and were happy to train me up to do any job there so long as I could commit a certain amount of time.  Unfortunately family stuff soon got in the way but I hope to get back there in a year or two when things quiten down.  The only downside was that the only form of communication was through a facebook group.  I refuse to join facebook for a variety of reasons so never knew what was going on which could be a little irritating.

Living locally I'm not suprised to hear stories of rude staff at Bridgenorth,  that is why I drove the extra 10 miles up to Telford.

• RMweb Premium

You can have a laugh and a joke with the public but you shouldn't upset them. They will tell friends post onto Trip Advisor or Mums Net and that will deter many others.

Yesterday I joked with people saying oh I if you haven't got a ticket I'll have to throw you off my train. Most of the time I get passengers to clip their own tickets. A comment I have made which sounds bad is when I have got everyone to show me the tickets I ask does anyone want a punch? It's a bit like the joke about a DIY store and anyone want decking?

As a working member you point out the interesting features on the line, answering historical/technical questions and advising how frequent the service is.

Most railways talk about 10% of the members are working members at Middleton we are probably closer to 30%. Of the none-working members there are quite a few who give financial support and are valued as much as those of us who get stuck in.

I'm a member at a miniature railway. Along with another fellow, we do the ticket sales.

As you have stated it is good practice to treat the passengers well, regardless of age, as well as a bit of a laugh with them. When a family comes up to buy tickets, we try to give the children the tickets, after all, what is more important than carrying their own tickets or for the entire family? Nevertheless some parents, seem to wish to snatch the tickets from their kids, what are they teaching them, that they cannot be trusted?

Of course, the children might have to work for it! My colleague holds the Edmunson tickets up high & slowly raises his arm, causing them to have to jump for them!

One time, a lady asked the usual question 'Where are the toilets"? My friend said "See that tree over there"? Her jaw almost hit the ground! Then he said, "Oh no, that's not right, they're over there, just around the bend in the road"! She laughed. Next month she was down again, took one look at him & said "I know where the toilets are"!

Last month, we had a single mother & her daughter join the club & the public run day, was their first as club members. We took care of them. The mother ended up driving a train for an hour and a half - after training and another driver behind to show her the ropes). The daughter didn't want to stay on the train, so we looked after her in the ticket box. We had her doing the works, handing out the tickets, working out the cost & the change and actually doing so.

It soon became apparent that her knowledge of maths was very poor (she is about 12/13). She had difficulty working out how much change to give from a ticket costing $2.50, when offered $4.00! So we had a bit of an impromptu maths lesson, with me asking how much 10 tickets cost at $2.50 each, how much change when given $10.00 for 3 tickets etc. We showed her the Ready Reckoner & how it works (which includes discounts for bulk tickets - so not easy).

My friend saw the mother about a week later in the supermarket. Apparently both of them had had a ball and can't wait for the next monthly run day! So something we did worked.

So I agree, have a bit of a friendly laugh & involve people in simple ways, it works & its better they remember you for that, than possible rudeness!

every now and then ive thought of joining my nearest lines, either Middleton or Elsecar. i would really like to have a go at working on real wagons not just model ones. i have joinery ad carpentry training and qualifacations, which would also be useful in other joinery jobs. i reall wouldnt mind doing the small jobs like sweeping and tidying.

.. but i then think of how much time i dont have to spare a day, i need to walk the dog in the morning so id get there for about 9 at the earliest but it also need walking in the early afternoon so id have to leave at about 2, so would it be worth it only being able to be there for 5 hours a day. im also thinking that that woudnt matter so much because im not so much interested in the "public relations" side such as ticket office or guard, i would just want a job i can get stuck into and feel good doing it. and can i be bothered getting down there maybe at least 1 day a week, im not sure.

Ive been pondering this for a few years now and cant decide

every now and then ive thought of joining my nearest lines, either Middleton or Elsecar. i would really like to have a go at working on real wagons not just model ones. i have joinery ad carpentry training and qualifacations, which would also be useful in other joinery jobs. i reall wouldnt mind doing the small jobs like sweeping and tidying.

.. but i then think of how much time i dont have to spare a day, i need to walk the dog in the morning so id get there for about 9 at the earliest but it also need walking in the early afternoon so id have to leave at about 2, so would it be worth it only being able to be there for 5 hours a day. im also thinking that that woudnt matter so much because im not so much interested in the "public relations" side such as ticket office or guard, i would just want a job i can get stuck into and feel good doing it. and can i be bothered getting down there maybe at least 1 day a week, im not sure.

Ive been pondering this for a few years now and cant decide

Well, firstly what is the dog like, is it an agressive nutter or will it lie quietly for a few hours on a cushion in the workshop?  If the answer is a) you could really only do a few hours as you say, but then again I turn up, do a morning and go home by 1 because that suits me.  If they can't accomodate you then that's their problem, failing that once you get your feet under the table the chances are they'd let you take the dog as its in their favour (usual provisos, lies quiet, doesn't growl/snarl at anybody etc) because it will make you more productive as a volunteer because you'd probably be able to give them a few more hours in a day.  We have several volunteers (not just C&W) who do exactly that and the only time anybody objects is when the dog is agressive or generally acts like a dick head.

One of the guys who I used to volunteer with left his dog in his land rover, and used to let him out every so often.

Depends on the animal I guess, but I don't see why having a dog to look after should be an impossible obstacle.

If the dog is anything like our Merlin (avatar) it will become an added attraction, with people only coming to see it. :sungum:

Mine have certainly greeted visitors and added to their enjoyment, although I doubt if that was the reason anyone came!

hes nt aggresive just very inquisitive, hell want to run around everywhere and sniff everything an get in the way, he easily gets restless and whines when he has to stand still, the main thing is that i cant bring him with me because he has travel sickness, and people tend to get scared of him because hes a jack russel

• RMweb Gold

One of my colleagues on the heritage railway I'm involved with brought her dog to the railway when she was working on Halloween (as the dog gets distressed when left alone while fireworks are being let off at night and locally people seem to anticipate Nov 5th quite a bit). The dog was happy with his owner, curled up quietly and was no trouble. We tried to persuade passengers he was actually a werewolf to add to the horror-film setting we produce for Halloween.

Then there's the tradition of dogs with collecting boxes raising funds for railway family charities. Isn't one of these dogs still around, albeit stuffed?

Archived