Oak Road - 2013 to present (a fictitious place somewhere in Somerset) - Raising Money for Meningitis Research

Scoobyra, I don’t think you can say that your layout was unpopular, you always had the paying public watching your stock pass by. I much enjoyed it and when you consider what you have done in 12 months (I take my hat if to you).

I do like you XC HST and the darkened roof (very envious).

Keep up the good work.

• RMweb Gold

Scoobyra, I don’t think you can say that your layout was unpopular, you always had the paying public watching your stock pass by. I much enjoyed it and when you consider what you have done in 12 months (I take my hat if to you).

I do like you XC HST and the darkened roof (very envious).

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Nigel.....but you're one of the minority!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

• RMweb Premium

If it wasn't a 400 mile round trip I'd have happily come to the exhibition just to see this layout !!

Having just acquired the final coach for my XC HST, I'll be interested to see yours completed.

Keep up the excellent work. ;)

Cheers,

Phil.

It would be a very boring exhibition if they only had "popular" stuff... In fact, I wouldn't go, as it wouldn't my cup of tea. I saw it at Fareham, and it was good enough that the name stuck such that I recognised it on here - with my memory that is quite an achievement. I haven't read it all yet, but looking forward to going through it, and seeing future progress. I only go to a couple of exhibitions a year, where there is something specific I would like to see - Fareham was primarily for Croydon North Street, but I shall be looking out for this in future as well.

Tref

Edited for typo... There are probably still some more!

Edited by Tref

• RMweb Premium

I had some feedback from our exhibition and it appears that Oak Road wasn't overly popular. To be honest, I'm not surprised as it ran like a pile of dog mess and no-one seemed to appreciate a 'work in progress' layout. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it though because it'll be better for the next outing  :P

I honestly wouldn't worry about that mate!

I'm 'into' my modelling and as I said at the time, the stuff you'd done already on your layout was a lot better than most of the other layouts in the show - your track work for example is exceptional, all the ballasting, weathering etc is just bang on Mike! 

Based on what I've seen and heard whilst exhibiting at shows for many years, I'll bet exactly where the feedback likely came from, vocal minority normally! Thankfully the infamous 'tweed generation' snobbery has fallen away rapidly from shows in recent years...the type that, despite months of painful modelling, scratchbuilding and extreme effort, will often pass by your layout and sneer if you don't have a GWR loco (how ironic!) shunting on a 1930s branchline and just walk right on by!! 

Keep going mate, can't wait to see your next developments, and that XC HST looks a right fun project!

• RMweb Gold

Thank you everyone for the vote of confidence  :good:

Personally, the only thing that would bother me is if the kids didn't like it, because they're the future of our dying hobby.....and after seeing the the lad in the green T Shirt's excitement every time an HST went round, I've achieved what I set out to do. If I want to be brutally honest, and not wanting to sound arrogant, I built it as a vehicle to improve my modelling skills and to also reproduce how I saw things in real life. This, unfortunately doesn't register with a lot of people because they never see what I see, or have don't see the point in modelling it.

I'm never going to be Allan Downes, or Peter Goss (World's End layout, for those of you that aren't familiar with the name), but it'll never stop me from trying to emulate them and having a lot of fun along the way.

My biggest disappointment at the Fareham show was my attitude - I was so stressed that I was very short, and rude to people (including the guys helping me), and didn't really have time to explain anything. As Nicky said to me when we got home, 'Next time you're at a show, and the operators seem like they're not interested - remember that they're probably going through the same situation that you just had'........very true words!

James is right, Mike (#606)

More important, your honesty about OR shows how much you care about the standards you are setting and what you want to achieve.

We can be our own worst critics and we make it worse by comparing ourselves to others - but you are right when you say that you will never be an Alan Downes or Peter Goss. You are Mike, you are your own person and, therefore, unique. What you see and what you want tp produce is very different from their work. If one day someone compares you with them, that is great, but isn't the reason why we build/exhibit our layouts. We do this for fun and. like anything else, when it stops being fun, stop doing it.

However, at this stage, I will say again that I thoroughly enjoyed Oak Road. It will get better as you do more. Just keep going, we'll follow and support you and we cannot wait to see you at Worthing in September 2018.

• RMweb Gold

James is right, Mike (#606)

More important, your honesty about OR shows how much you care about the standards you are setting and what you want to achieve.

We can be our own worst critics and we make it worse by comparing ourselves to others - but you are right when you say that you will never be an Alan Downes or Peter Goss. You are Mike, you are your own person and, therefore, unique. What you see and what you want tp produce is very different from their work. If one day someone compares you with them, that is great, but isn't the reason why we build/exhibit our layouts. We do this for fun and. like anything else, when it stops being fun, stop doing it.

However, at this stage, I will say again that I thoroughly enjoyed Oak Road. It will get better as you do more. Just keep going, we'll follow and support you and we cannot wait to see you at Worthing in September 2018.

Cheers Chris

I'm going to bring a Pannier Tank to the Worthing show along with a few 5 & 7 plank wagons  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Cheers Chris

I'm going to bring a Pannier Tank to the Worthing show along with a few 5 & 7 plank wagons  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

As long as you build a fiddle yard on the day, I'm not worried.

It'll be up to the next exhibition manager to work out how he's going to fill the remaining 15' of space...

• RMweb Gold

Usual service was resumed today whereby I managed to get some greenery down on the bridge board....

post-18825-0-09272700-1508709004_thumb.jpg

.....and then had a bit of a disaster with the Peco spray glue reacting with the WS scenic cement and turning my greenery.......erm, snow white! Normally, I'd not be worried but after 6 hours, it's now got some dwarfs........Grumpy is taking the picture!

post-18825-0-04417300-1508709012_thumb.jpg

I think it's a case of trying to do too many things far too quickly, and the excitement of not staring at brown and grey took over, and I got a bit ahead of myself!

I've also had to employ the dreaded Jervis scatter again so that it matches the other scenery.........more lime green slime! This time I tried not to soak it too much but I've a cunning plan up my sleeve involving my airbrush and some PVA to make it stay put.

post-18825-0-33411400-1508709018_thumb.jpg

Don't look too hard at the brickwork cos it doesn't line up properly at the join.....you'll never see it once a bush is stuck in front of it!  :laugh:

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I'm feeling a bit happier this morning as the ballast has dried out a bit and the ground colour has returned. I can't say the same for the bushes though and some of them hadn't stuck!

post-18825-0-17384900-1508746183_thumb.jpg

In my haste to get things done, I forgot to put two other cabinets in......D'oh! To be fair though, I'm not too worried about it as it's easy to remove some ballast and add stuff afterwards - I've done it with the catch pits a few times and it looks quite effective with fresh ballast around it. Tonight I'm going to get the road sides in place so that I can get the pavement in and then start on the undergrowth and trees. Oh, I also need to add a few metres of fencing!

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I managed to make a bit more progress last night and things are starting to take shape rather quickly now. Here's the kerb stones going in....

post-18825-0-28145900-1508840451_thumb.jpg

How Nicky ever puts up with the mess in our kitchen is beyond me  :laugh:

The cabinets look better now they're in situ...

post-18825-0-40637700-1508840911_thumb.jpg

......the rest of the trunking will be added at some point.

Here's a bigger picture showing the greenery going in on the other side of the tracks..

post-18825-0-57462900-1508840437_thumb.jpg

...and yet again, despite being sparse with the water, it managed to bleed on to the track bed which is some 15mm higher than the gully!

post-18825-0-65132200-1508840431_thumb.jpg

And finally, I just couldn't resist an opportunity to throw a certain HST power car up the head shunt due to overheating axle boxes  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

post-18825-0-46901400-1508840853_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Looking fab Mike, what have you used for kerbstones please? Also the greenery you have added so far, is that just all various scatters?

Kerb is made from 1.5 square plasticard - it's not perfect but gives a good edge and once I've run a file along the front, it'll appear to slope backwards slightly. I used to cut grooves in with a razor saw but after looking at loads of reference pictures, I'll draw the joins on with a pen like I did with the platform drainage.

The greenery is Jervis scatter but my personal opinion is to steer well clear because it's not colour fast. Unfortunately, I used it at the other end so I had to follow the same process Adrian but if I was starting again, I'd probably use Woodland Scenics as a base. For future reference, all my grass is from John at Green Scene and is way better than anything else I've seen - I buy straw, and lush, in different lengths and mix them together myself. All the other scatter comes from Jacqui at Ceynix Trees.

• RMweb Gold

So really going back to basics (sorry) what have you added and in what order in the pictures you have shared above please

No worries.

To go right back, the scenery is obviously formed from polystyrene covered in torn up brown paper, normally about three layers and once it's dry, I cover the whole lot it a cheap burnt umber acrylic paint. Next up, paste the whole lot with undiluted PVA and sprinkle over the scatter (in this case, Jervis medium fine green, and light fine green, with WS earth too. There's no set pattern, I do everything randomly. Spray this with a fine mist of either WS scenic cement, or, good old fashioned tap water (this will draw the PVA up in to the scatter), but beware....the colour runs all over the place!

Most people would leave it there but I will add diluted burnt umber paint via a dropper, or air brush which tones down the brightness and gives a good base for the rest of the scenic material - again, beware if using anything that's not colourfast!

Once that's had a day to dry out, it's then a case of adding whatever you want on top of it - static grass, bushes, trees, shrubs, hedges, etc, which I make up using polyfibre, and clump foliage.

Hope that helps.

Been following this layout for a short period now and I have to say that when I finally come to build a layout, this is exactly how I imagine it to be! Absolutely fantastic workmanship, if I can get mine even half as good as this I'll be happier than a kid on Christmas morning! Being down in the West Country (Newton Abbot) I'm an absolute great lover of the FGW stock too. This now has given me some enthusiasm to get my power cars out of their boxes and start weathering them. Ive probably done it a*se about face but just renumbering to go...

post-27853-0-11349500-1508863096_thumb.jpg

post-27853-0-01181900-1508863143_thumb.jpg

post-27853-0-59463200-1508863173_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Been following this layout for a short period now and I have to say that when I finally come to build a layout, this is exactly how I imagine it to be! Absolutely fantastic workmanship, if I can get mine even half as good as this I'll be happier than a kid on Christmas morning! Being down in the West Country (Newton Abbot) I'm an absolute great lover of the FGW stock too. This now has given me some enthusiasm to get my power cars out of their boxes and start weathering them. Ive probably done it a*se about face but just renumbering to go...

Wow!

They look top notch  :good:  :good:

T

I managed to make a bit more progress last night and things are starting to take shape rather quickly now. Here's the kerb stones going in....

attachicon.gifKerb Stones.jpg

How Nicky ever puts up with the mess in our kitchen is beyond me  :laugh:

The cabinets look better now they're in situ...

attachicon.gifBoxing.jpg

......the rest of the trunking will be added at some point.

Here's a bigger picture showing the greenery going in on the other side of the tracks..

attachicon.gifPainting by numbers.jpg

...and yet again, despite being sparse with the water, it managed to bleed on to the track bed which is some 15mm higher than the gully!

attachicon.gifSlime.jpg

And finally, I just couldn't resist an opportunity to throw a certain HST power car up the head shunt due to overheating axle boxes  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

attachicon.gifHarry Patch.jpg

Track looks superb! Keep up the good work