Oak Road - 2013 to present (a fictitious place somewhere in Somerset) - Raising Money for Meningitis Research

Defiantly nothing wrong with a work in progress layout. I was at worthing model railway exhibition this year and last year and saw a layout that was just parts of baseboard and track. This year I saw the same layout but it had moved on lots. It was great to see the transistion. Im sure people will be the same with oak road. Hoping to visit fareham on Sunday to see oak road and loftus road in the flesh. The level of detail I've seen on what you've done so far is incredible as I'm sure the rest will be as the layout progresses.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm having a 'never rains. it pours' day today.

Having got sick and tired of working on the layout  (yes, I really did just say that!), I thought I'd have night off and put some of the stock back together, but even that hasn't gone to plan!

So the stock list for the weekend will comprise:

An XC HST

A FGW HST

An XC Vomiter

2 x DRS Tractors

FGW 57

EWS Shed

LLB Hoover

FGW Dogbox

and a Rebuilt Merchant Navy.

One stone train, one china clay train, and an assortment of borrowed MK1/2s

If anyone notices an HST doing three or four laps in a row, just humour me  :good:

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 3

One of my best exhibition memories was of a small N gauge layout where the owner showed us how he had built all kinds of bits such as lamp posts from scratch. Don't worry about the layout not being finished - I'm sure the viewers will understand why and be interested in how you've managed to achieve such astonishing levels of detail.

Enjoy the exhibition 

• RMweb Premium

Yeah I really wouldn't worry about it, I'm planning to come along over the weekend to admire your handiwork, not remotely fussed that it's not finished. Seen some really good layouts that are half done over the years!

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Good luck for the weekend - I'm willing to bet you will have nothing but positive comments on your hard work.

Would love to have made the journey but its a little out of my range from North Devon - although I will be just up the road in Titchfield with work on Thursday annoyingly.

I hope one day it will appear somewhere I can see it in the flesh - I will keep an eye out for it - and follow it on here of course.

All the best,

James

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Good luck for the weekend - I'm willing to bet you will have nothing but positive comments on your hard work.

Would love to have made the journey but its a little out of my range from North Devon - although I will be just up the road in Titchfield with work on Thursday annoyingly.

I hope one day it will appear somewhere I can see it in the flesh - I will keep an eye out for it - and follow it on here of course.

All the best,

James

My office is a 10 minute drive from Titchfield James....and most of my layout in currently in it!  :laugh:  :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

Managed to get a little bit more done today but not an awful lot.

• Bridge board to station board one joint completely ballasted - it doesn't match but at least there's no gap!
  • All three signals repaired (cat broke one, I broke another) and painted. Won't be working but who cares.
  • One stock box (64L really useless box) packed - 2 HST sets, 1 Sleeper Set and a 57

Nicky sat and helped me carve up a load of foam (kindly donated by New Road Model Shop Portsmouth) for the stock box which took most of the evening!

I also collected my 50 from Ian (Tidworth) today after he'd put all the louvres back in to it for me! Cheers pal  :good:

I'll try and do a bit more tomorrow and then Friday will see Oak Road make the 6 mile journey to Fareham RailEx 2017 for two days of playing trains, which in itself, is a pretty cool achievement.  :danced:  :danced:

We'll have no layout sign, no lights, trains that won't look right, but what we will have is a lot of fun!  :superman:

Even though I'm disappointed the layout isn't finished, I found myself thinking just how lucky I've been to have many, many people help me out one way or another - the wife, friends, traders, distributors and shops........now that's something that can't be bought and I'm very grateful to everyone.

If you see me on Saturday or Sunday, please say hello, and if you want to ask any questions on modelling....speak to James....he's on the layout next to me... :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 4

Managed to get a little bit more done today but not an awful lot.

• Bridge board to station board one joint completely ballasted - it doesn't match but at least there's no gap!
  • All three signals repaired (cat broke one, I broke another) and painted. Won't be working but who cares.
  • One stock box (64L really useless box) packed - 2 HST sets, 1 Sleeper Set and a 57

Nicky sat and helped me carve up a load of foam (kindly donated by New Road Model Shop Portsmouth) for the stock box which took most of the evening!

I also collected my 50 from Ian (Tidworth) today after he'd put all the louvres back in to it for me! Cheers pal  :good:

I'll try and do a bit more tomorrow and then Friday will see Oak Road make the 6 mile journey to Fareham RailEx 2017 for two days of playing trains, which in itself, is a pretty cool achievement.  :danced:  :danced:

We'll have no layout sign, no lights, trains that won't look right, but what we will have is a lot of fun!  :superman:

Even though I'm disappointed the layout isn't finished, I found myself thinking just how lucky I've been to have many, many people help me out one way or another - the wife, friends, traders, distributors and shops........now that's something that can't be bought and I'm very grateful to everyone.

If you see me on Saturday or Sunday, please say hello, and if you want to ask any questions on modelling....speak to James....he's on the layout next to me... :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Well done mate for getting this far.   Even though Crofton is still continuing unaided !!    I'll try not to crash too many trains for you,  but its should be a fun weekend. -  and that's the whole point of it really.   :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

Well, I’ve not got off to the best of starts for Oak Road’s maiden outing..... more shorts than a sports shop!!!

Couple that with the fact I lost the nut spinner and the fact it took ages to set up..... and we’re off to a blinder....NOT!!

Has anyone got a bus they can lend me? I’ll stick it in the car park and tell everyone there’s engineering works all weekend.

Edited by scoobyra

Saw this today, yes, I know its a still in progress I'd actually liked it. The one scenic part that seemed finished to me, looked impressive. Hope this carries on being another well modern layout.

Will watch this with interest, Keep up the good work.

Regards Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Saw this today, yes, I know its a still in progress I'd actually liked it. The one scenic part that seemed finished to me, looked impressive. Hope this carries on being another well modern layout.

Will watch this with interest, Keep up the good work.

Regards Jeff

Thanks Jeff!

• RMweb Gold

Day one over and I've never been so stressed in my life!

Three inexperienced operators, no fiddle yard and an untested layout is spot on for a complete disaster and at at around 9:45am, the Titanic was looking a safer bet. However, Chris turned up with the Cavalry and the Loftus Road boys and Croydon North Street lads threw their hammer in too and things started looking up.

By lunchtime, Jason had done a great impression of Wallace & Gromit and had laid a whole temporary fiddle yard which Dave then wired up in equally as quick time!

We had crashes, we had derailments, points set the wrong way and how the fence is still intact on the front of the layout is beyond comprehension.

People got bored because we didn't run many trains, and when we did, we crashed them due to lack of concentration.

I was a bit short with a few people, mainly those that thought it was a great idea to lean on the only scenic bit.......it took me 3 months built that you half baked turnip and you nearly wiped it out in three seconds!! Grrrrr!

There was a few encouraging comments and the point of most interest was the stone bridge......and nobody noticed the fire extinguisher.

It was good to meet Rich (Portland) too.

Time to chill out now and get ready for round two.

• Like 1

Well said Mike.   It was a tiring and fairly stressful start,   to be fair most exhibition layouts try and have a fiddle yard built BEFORE the exhibition,  but nope,  we chose to build it DURING the show !!     And if anyone needs proof -  this was the fiddle yard being loaded up yesterday -  note  a) the back board is only now being cut to size,  and b)  there are only two pieces of track !!

post-28638-0-98024800-1507400830_thumb.jpg  

An interesting introduction to standing behind the layout at a show and not in front of it for once,   but I think we survived.

Roll on tomorrow so we can wow the crowds properly !!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Didn’t introduce myself as you looked somewhat pre-occupied, but I was impressed, as was my wife, who found it interesting to see a layout in a half finished stage. Your track and platforms look amazing, and nowt wrong with an FGW HST, even after 10 laps!

My 9 month old son knew not to touch it either, some people are just morons :)

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Gold

Didn’t introduce myself as you looked somewhat pre-occupied, but I was impressed, as was my wife, who found it interesting to see a layout in a half finished stage. Your track and platforms look amazing, and nowt wrong with an FGW HST, even after 10 laps!

My 9 month old son knew not to touch it either, some people are just morons :)

You should've said hello!

We got a bit carried away with the HST......I don't know too many other layouts that suit them and it's just so nice to be able to play trains for a change. Hopefully I'll have a bit more scenery done if you see it again.

Cheers

Mike