Oak Road - 2013 to present (a fictitious place somewhere in Somerset) - Raising Money for Meningitis Research

Hi

Absolutely superb modelling.....

If you mean by the scatter over spill the that looks like patches of grass they look rather realistic for the mainline track down here......

In fact in places (Bodmin Parkway normally for instance) the track more resembles a rough lawn than a main line railway track!!!!!!!

Keep up the good work.....

Cheers Bill

Well I'm hoping that one way or another, the station light heads will be sorted so I've pressed on with making the posts. These are as close to scale as I can get them!

attachicon.gifLet there be light.......nearly.jpg

I also couldn't resist posting some pictures of a 4 CEP that a friend of mine gave to me for free.

attachicon.gifLost.jpg

attachicon.gifMemories.jpg

Clearly, it lost it's way a bit when it landed from the time machine!

I must say with each bit finished it looks more and more impressive and well modelled.

Can't wait to see the end result, keep posting.

Excellent

• RMweb Gold

I must say with each bit finished it looks more and more impressive and well modelled.

Can't wait to see the end result, keep posting.

Excellent

Thanks Kevin, although I'm not sure I share your enthusiasm - I'm still taking backward steps. There's a whole 5x2 board with nothing on it except track yet!

Sorted, a work in progress board, with sections and areas finished detailing to any future would be modellers this is what I started with and how it ended up.

Loads of printed signs detailing how the work was done, few models dotted about to show the concept, photos of loco's and buildings you wish to build or based your ideas on.

You'll be amazed how that can hold some peoples interest more than a completed board....

• Like 1

Well I'm hoping that one way or another, the station light heads will be sorted so I've pressed on with making the posts. These are as close to scale as I can get them!

attachicon.gifLet there be light.......nearly.jpg

I also couldn't resist posting some pictures of a 4 CEP that a friend of mine gave to me for free.

attachicon.gifLost.jpg

attachicon.gifMemories.jpg

Clearly, it lost it's way a bit when it landed from the time machine!

I wish I had friends that would give me EMU's..... I will except any........ Great looking layout BTW.

Keith HC

The platforms/scenic work is looking great. If you ever decide to turn the clock back to 1989/1990, Class 33 and 8TC's (x2 4TC) were used on the Weymouth to Bristol TM (through Castle Cary) on summer Saturdays.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again to everyone for the fantastic comments - I really don't see everything that you guys see but at least I'm keeping you all entertained!

Which brings me round to the fact that I'm one really lucky chap because there's a lot of people bending over backwards to help me out with stuff and I really feel I should give all of these people another mention and help promote their businesses.

Alan Butler (Modelu) is making the heads for the station lights and they're exact replicas of the ones at Castle Cary and there's a good chance that these will be for sale through him too at some stage. Justin Noble (Scale Model Scenery) has supplied the mesh fence and is also working on a few other projects that aren't available through his online shop. 

Steve Bell (Railtec) and John Peck (Precision Decals) have both been working on some dedicated transfers for this and other projects that are in the pipeline and AC Models in Eastleigh have supplied most of the stock for the layout, along with near enough anything else I've asked for. Then, there's Bif (LegomanBiffo) and Kevin (Coastal DCC) who've provided countless chips, sound projects, speakers and reblows. Even Gaugemaster have donated stuff for free!

For all of these guys, nothing has been too much trouble and I've nothing but praise for them, and finally, this may sound pretty daft but I've only been able to build this layout by asking hundreds of people questions and listening to the answers because I didn't have a clue, so I feel very fortunate to have the advice and backing of you people following my thread.

I've no idea how I've managed to get everyone on board but I'm definitely not complaining - I just hope that when it eventually gets out on the road, it's not a disappointment.  

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Well I've had to have a bit of a rethink on the scenery for the back of the two station boards where the virtual quarry will go. The original plan was to have a low wall running along the entire length of the stone yard with a footpath on top of it and industrial units backing on to it but as per everything else on this layout, it's had to change. 

This is purely down to space because the stone piles would've only been 6 ft wide......which would be pretty pointless, so with some constructive input from my modelling partner in crime, Dave, the stone piles will now go directly up against the back scene boards. It's a shame as I thought the industrial unit backs would give the layout a bit more depth but clearly, as with most men, my sizing chart seems to be way out!  :laugh:  :laugh:

The knock on effect is that I'll need to rework the lorry entrance to the yard, along with the road bridge, which under normal circumstances wouldn't be an issue, but with just over two months to D Day, it's going to be squeaky bum time followed by a few 5p / 50p moments (for those of you not familiar with this saying, read as I'll be soiling my pants!  :O  :laugh:  :laugh: :O )

Wish me luck - Photo update to follow sometime next week  :good:

Edited by scoobyra

• RMweb Gold

I've been a bit busy helping Dave with Crofton today so this evening I thought I'd make up a crude mock up of the bridge at the east end of the layout. 

post-18825-0-00363400-1500758334_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-58611700-1500758345_thumb.jpg

This will be based on on Ansford Bridge at Castle Cary and will have two girder sections, instead of one, with a central brick pier for support. It's not the easiest of tasks because I need it to run parallel with the back scene board to hide the fiddle yard entrance. Unfortunately, this also makes it look slightly awkward but I'll just have to live with it. 

Now that I've got the basic shape, I'll get some brickwork knocked up and get on with building it. This will also help to work out the height for the terrain and hopefully give the board some shape as I'm now fed up of looking at a pasting table with track on it!

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I had a go at making the little picket fences that Castle Cary have at the Barrow Crossing end of the station yesterday - what a ball ache they were! I could do with remaking this one as it's not quite right although the one for the other platform turned out perfect  :banghead:

post-18825-0-89993700-1500890258_thumb.jpg

I really don't like the look of the code 75 track so once I've got the first show out of the way there's a good chance I'll rip it all up and replace it with code 83.......which I should have used in the first place.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Mike.......rip it all up........Nooooooooooo!!!!!

Little fences are a right old pain aren't they, what's wrong with that one compared to the one you do like?

It's not quite right Adrian. I've not got a picture of the other one but it doesn't follow the platform edge properly.

The stone yard looks great. Bit of a specific question, but I'm planning a VQ of my own and didn't think to use expanding foam. You said you used three cans for 6fts worth, how far do you think one can would go? My ballast piles are going to be 2-3ft in length, and maybe half the height of yours so do you think a can would do that? Also, does it add much to the weight of the board? I may have some questions about ballast weathering too at some point so prepare yourself for more inane questions!

• RMweb Gold

The stone yard looks great. Bit of a specific question, but I'm planning a VQ of my own and didn't think to use expanding foam. You said you used three cans for 6fts worth, how far do you think one can would go? My ballast piles are going to be 2-3ft in length, and maybe half the height of yours so do you think a can would do that? Also, does it add much to the weight of the board? I may have some questions about ballast weathering too at some point so prepare yourself for more inane questions!

I used the foam because it's easy to shape, and it's very light - until you cover it in ballast! (That's real stone). You get a lot of wastage with it though because there's a lot that gets discarded once you start creating the shapes

• RMweb Gold

Continuing with the bargains theme, I bough two maroon Railroad MK 1s brand new from Wicor Models at our RailEx last year for a tenner each and they've been sat in my cupboard ever since - that is until yesterday when I fitted some Bachmann Commonwealth bogies (yet another bargain) to them. As some of you may know, Hornby bogies clip in so I put my engineering head on and had it all sorted in 20 minutes!

post-18825-0-28140500-1501450869_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-53168000-1501450888_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-51313300-1501450882_thumb.jpg

As if that wasn't good enough, they sold me four more yesterday for £40.......just need to source some more bogies and get them painted up in Choc / Cream and Cream / Crimson for the Railtours Charter Set

Massive thanks Dave at Wicor Models  :good:  :good:

I also made a start on the dreaded footbridge by combining some kit bashing with a bit more scratch building. Ignore the painting, it's just so I can get an idea of how it'll look. 

post-18825-0-98731800-1501450900_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-62338700-1501450909_thumb.jpg

It's never going to beat Mr Downes in a model building contest but it'll make do until I can work out how to make a better one.......and it'll save Justin the hassle of making me the railings!  :laugh:  :laugh:

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Just in case people are getting bored of my updates.....here's another one!  :laugh:

The bridge is starting to take a bit more shape now, and with some choice swearwords and a few quids worth of plastruct, it's 2/3 of the way there.

post-18825-0-61086800-1501664977_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-41616900-1501664998_thumb.jpg

The Newel posts look wonky in the picture but they're definitely straight.

post-18825-0-74815400-1501664982_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-88467200-1501664987_thumb.jpg

post-18825-0-42739100-1501665006_thumb.jpg

This is probably my biggest challenge so far and I would've quite happily paid £50 for a kit!! 

Edited by scoobyra
  • Like 17