Models Hornby Could Make, but probably won't.

robmcg

I've not bought either, Exeter was rebuilt before "my" period anyway and if I do acquire a Manston, there'll be some work to do changing the crest etc.  

As you say, 34072 did run with such a tender after losing her original 5,500g example in a swap with 34021 during the rebuilding programme in late 1957. Not sure when it got late crest though. 

She was one of a handful still paired with a high-sided tender at withdrawal, but always seems to have run with a cut-down one in preservation (at least whenever I've seen it). 

There was another SR-built example, (which I am kicking myself for forgetting as I have modelled it) and that was 34069 Hawkinge, which also lasted to withdrawal in that form.

John

257 Squadron first ran in preservation in 1990 with H/S 4,500g tender No3319.

This lasted until 1994, when '72 was then paired with New Build Tender 000: A new build 5,500g frame with a recycled MN 5,000g tank from tender No3119. Following 257's withdrawal in January 2003, and the restoration of 34028 'Eddystone', the  tender then saw service with that loco until 2014 when its boiler ticket expired.

Tender 000 is now having a full overhaul, which will see it re-emerge with a brand new 5,500g tank, to run with 34010 'Sidmouth' when her restoration's complete.

Regards,

Matt

Might it be too much to ask for extra intermediate coaches for the current Eurostar (in both liveries)? I.e. Buffet car and articulated passenger coaches

Probably. A couple of years ago a friend of my daughter asked if I had a Eurostar. It has bugged me ever since but the current Hornby offering puts me off. It needs exactly what you say it needs.

Probably. A couple of years ago a friend of my daughter asked if I had a Eurostar. It has bugged me ever since but the current Hornby offering puts me off. It needs exactly what you say it needs.

I wouldn't even mind doing the conversion myself but you can't get the bits to do it.

Mentioned on here before via Tony Wright perhaps?. Cannot see the logic in not doing them , for all the Thompson bashing they seem to be popular with many . The only missing LNER Pacifics. 

Ahem, not the only missing LNER Pacific! :nono:

a2_raven_2402.jpg

The Raven A2

Though granted even less likely to be produced as RTR than the Thompson! :stinker:

• Like 3

a2_raven_2402.jpg

The Raven A2

Though granted even less likely to be produced as RTR than the Thompson! :stinker:

The Raven Pacifics, phwoar! Two cab variants and other detail differences in a small class, nice as it would be, it'd be a challenge to get them right. I'd love to see it happen though!

Having said that, what many people seem to ignore is the differences between the various Thompson Pacifics, they don't all share a common wheelbase or basic body so I suspect the sheer amount of extra toolings required are one of the preclusive factors. Personally I'd like to see at least one of the classes appear as I do think they have a certain ungainly charm to them.

As for what I'd like to see, but probably won't echoes what many have said before, with pre-group rolling stock, Great Northern 6-wheelers, NER clerestories and some East Coast Joint Stock please! I'm more than happy to kit-build, but in some cases, finding such things can be hard!

Cheers

J

Edited for typo

Edited by JaymzHatstand
  • Like 1

Why don't manufacturers produce all the present liveries for their models. Hornby do a nice Abellio 153. How about a 90 and mk3s? DVT even......

I was quite cheesed off when they cancelled their Abellio Class 90...Though no matching stock was announced. I bet it was to be for 2017. So we may get a whole set next year.

I think we all hoped, when the 4VEP was announced, that given the common cab-front, B5(S) trailer and Mk. 6 motor bogies a 4CIG, and maybe less likely a 4REP and 4TC might all follow suit.

The REP and TCs are a more likely proposition due to their greater commonality with loco hauled stock and Hornby's new range of MK1s.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

My personal wish: LNER B2/B19 Sir Sam Fay, though that probably fits best in Bachmann’s portfolio.

W1 “Hush Hush”

Other good lookers I would like to see:

GWR 15xx pannier.

Midland Railway “Kirtley Goods” 0-6-0

And the beautifully ugly Fell diesel.

• RMweb Gold

A Great Western tank locomotive, or even two. Yes, I've mentioned the 42/52/72's... I mean the 2721 class, or the larger prairie classes.

That said, Hornby could very easily prove me wrong. If Hornby can turn out a cracking Midland region pacific, there's nothing stopping a humble pannier or 3.

However, modesty & decorum forbids me from showing my backside in Queen Street, Cardiff, unless you want a laugh! Failing that, a suitable donation to charity....

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

a2_raven_2402.jpg

The Raven A2

Is it just me, or does that photo make the real thing look like O Gauge tinplate? :scratchhead:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I think to be honest. Hornby have missed out on two viable modern era model railway stuff. As until very recently, they had to the chance to produce two very profitable models that would have been great sellers. But the two new models are now being taken care of by other makers. That I think it would be safe to say that Hornby will not consider covering those two models that I have highlighted below.

The first model they missed was the super-detailed Class 92 as DJ Models are taking good care of that project and I shall be getting that one.

The second missed model is the new generation VTG TEA 100 tonne tank wagon as Revolution/Rapido Trains are in the process of producing those.

The lesson learned there is "use it or lose it" and I think it is only a matter of time before a new 225/Class 91 train will be done be someone if there is enough interest. Another company or produced as a crowd-funded project :).

1945 as built West Country 21C101-21C148 with narrow full (not cut back) cab similar to original MN. Cab changes to the better visibility version started in 1947 but were not completed until 1950's. Hornby of course could use the current DC/DCC mechanism and tender versions exist. Malachite Southern livery of course.

Edited by autocoach

When Hornby bought the former Dapol OO tooling did they aquire the 150/2, and if they did they could use it as a basis to create several mid 80s electric units such as 318s and 455s or with a little more retooling 320s 321s 322s and 456s.

As for super detailed models a modern spec class 86 (as the Heljan model fell short of expectations) and a class 58 (with a suitably modified cab interior to the same standard as the superb class 60 as again the Heljan model is not to that high a standard).

• RMweb Gold

A few older models that would really benefit from 21st Century versions, but I suspect that, if Hornby were ever going to do anything with them, they'd have already done so.

We all know about Rule One, but Rule Two states "you can never have too many parcels vans", so here goes.

The various GWR Siphons - originally Airfix (outside framed G and H) and Lima (inside framed G) 

The LMS 42' GUV (which they've never repeated even using the original Lima tooling, which was actually pretty good in many respects).

The SR corridor luggage van - pretty much the last Tri-ang survivor EXCEPT for the GWR short clerestories, which still sneak out from time to time. Re-doing them would provide an incentive/excuse to produce an older GWR loco (a Bulldog or maybe a Saint would do nicely). 

For something completely new, how about a Gresley 51' non-corridor Passenger Brake van. Well maybe not completely, they already have the underframe.

Representatives from all the Big Four, how's that for even-handed?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 5