Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Models Hornby Could Make, but probably won't.

robmcg

I know nothing about how it could be done, but instead of producing more B17's could Hornby combine the B1 boiler/footplate with the works of the B17 to produce Thompson's B2 2-cyl variant; Thompson's star seems to be in the ascendant - L1, K1, O1, B12/3....forget the mutilations of Gresley's Pacifics and P2's!

All the talk of matching coaching stock got me thinking about the LNER streamlined sets.

Long lasting, could be sold in a full set or in parts for the post war period or to make it more affordable. A rebuilt beavertail would also appeal to the Scottish modeller.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn’t make too many EMUs if I wanted to stay in business. All these new ones look pretty much the same and are as dull as ditchwater , except the rather sharp looking IET.

Yes, they are. But therein lies a big advantage: they can share a lot of the mechanical parts (apart from the articulated stuff from Stadler).

And modern trains - whether EMUs or DMUs - are the future. If we want younger people to remain interested in railway modelling, we need to cater for them. I also believe that Hornby could get away with a "Railroad" approach to EMUs and DMUs with modellers willing to superdetail as required. It's not a collectors' market. Should be much simpler to tool up for and much easier/cheaper to assemble.

Yes, they are. But therein lies a big advantage: they can share a lot of the mechanical parts (apart from the articulated stuff from Stadler).

And modern trains - whether EMUs or DMUs - are the future. If we want younger people to remain interested in railway modelling, we need to cater for them. I also believe that Hornby could get away with a "Railroad" approach to EMUs and DMUs with modellers willing to superdetail as required. It's not a collectors' market. Should be much simpler to tool up for and much easier/cheaper to assemble.

the VEP arguably took a 'Railroad' approach and suffered as a result...

How about some Hydras, Serpents or Loriots (GWR) ? I think I read somewhere that these were once some of the most numerous types of wagons running in the UK but I can see nothing available as either RTR or in kit form. There used to be....but not now.

NOTE : I would have thought this would be a no-brainer for Oxford as it would tie in nicely with their vehicles and farm machinery models.

How about some Hydras, Serpents or Loriots (GWR) ? I think I read somewhere that these were once some of the most numerous types of wagons running in the UK but I can see nothing available as either RTR or in kit form. There used to be....but not now.

NOTE : I would have thought this would be a no-brainer for Oxford as it would tie in nicely with their vehicles and farm machinery models.

Not in the UK, I'm afraid ...... maybe in Cloud Cuckoo Land ( though I'm not sure Gods 'Wonderful' Railway operated there ). 

Seriously, those were probably the most numerous family of Specially Constructed Wagons on the Great Western - but would have formed a small part of the fleet of a not particularly large ( in Grouping terms ) railway. Moreover within the family of Hydras, Serpents & Loriotthere were umpteen different shapes an sizes - each built in small numbers - so none is likely to look like a paying proposition for Oxford or - to get back on topic - less so for Hornby.

Edited by Wickham Green

• 4 weeks later...

I maintain that a GER Y14 would be viable. Only a few detail differences from the existing J15 model and there is an example preserved in GER condition, thus a model would suit both a 1912 and 2018 timeframe. Anything in GER blue would sell I'm sure...

In reference to previous suggestions, A GER T26/LNER E4 would certainly be an interesting and fairly unique choice and would make an interesting model for the NRM.

Rolling stock wise (and keeping with the GER theme) the GER ventilated goods vans were fairly long lasting and widespread?

post-33105-0-22584700-1531775184_thumb.jpg

post-33105-0-61067600-1531775626_thumb.jpg

Edited by jamesC37LG
  • Like 3

I maintain that a GER Y14 would be viable. Only a few detail differences from the existing J15 model and there is an example preserved in GER condition, thus a model would suit both a 1912 and 2018 timeframe. Anything in GER blue would sell I'm sure...

In reference to previous suggestions, A GER T26/LNER E4 would certainly be an interesting and fairly unique choice and would make an interesting model for the NRM.

Rolling stock wise (and keeping with the GER theme) the GER ventilated goods vans were fairly long lasting and widespread?

attachicon.gif20160902_124843.jpg

attachicon.gif20160902_124715.jpg

Speaking of NRM, a Hornby upgrade to the Caley Single would be a nice counterpoint to the NRM's existing Stirling Single.  Well, it would have to a new model, the existing Caledonian Single being a bit dire.

And as you say, anything in blue...   :)

I also hope that in 2022, Hornby take the initiative to release an A1 in GNR livery. Either 1470 or 1471 will do, although in celebrating the centenary of Gresley's Pacifics, 1470 would be far more appropriate!

As far as I know number 1470 has already been in the Hornby range.

It was released around the same time as 4475 Flying Fox, both with gnr tenders

And a very nice model it is, too, commonly available s/h on Ebay or Hattons etc

I just bought one for £90 on Ebay, perfect order, pic slightly edited.

post-7929-0-19074700-1532119298_thumb.jpg

cheers

• Like 1

These wagons were far from numerous, being built in ones and twos over the years. Cambrian do a kit of a BR (W) Loriot, built as a direct replacement for a GWR design. Otherwise, there are ready-to-run and kit Lowmacs available, which would pass muster for GWR types with a bit of work.

As far as I know number 1470 has already been in the Hornby range.

It was released around the same time as 4475 Flying Fox, both with gnr tenders

It was indeed, but I'd say enough time has passed to justify a special release in 2022... Although if it was felt 1470 couldn't be done, there is still 1471...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Given that H have announced the reissue of 50 year old models, I'd be happy if they re-issued the Lima ex LMS 42' GUV/CCT with proper bogies.  A really useful vehicle IMHO and the Lima body still stands the test of time, it's just the under details that let it down.

LBSCR K class 2-6-0 please....(yes I know this isn't really a wish list thread but everyone else is doing it..)

Nothing wrong with wishing!     I wish for Victorian and Edwardian locos.   Next week it might be late BR steam, but we already have them in RTR, and I think generally we are very lucky with our manufacturers.

I wouldn't rule Hornby out from making anything- nobody predicted the P2!

However, I think the following would be safe bets for them, but are somewhat unlikely-

LNER/GNSR Pickersgill D40 - has a very pretty pre-group livery, survived in to the 1950s and is the last gap to fill for anyone modelling the GNSR line in the LNER/early BR period. Would sell like hot cakes.

LBSCR Rememberance 4-6-4 - big, pretty and there's a WW1 connection. I'm willing to bet an initial run of Rememberances in LBSCR Green would become as sought after as the infamous SECR 0-6-0s.

BR Class 303 'Blue Train' - plenty of scope for an early 60s Glasgow suburban terminus with one of these, especially with the Caley 0-6-0 coming up. Hornby won't make it because it's got a stick on the roof and no third rail shoes!

LNER A8 - I'm fairly confident that an NER 0-6-0 will appear at some point, and along with one of these, you could finally model the North Yorkshire coast lines from 1930 onwards, RTR. However it's pretty much doomed to be left out I fear, even if other NER locos get made.

BR Class 124 - Common sight in the North of England in the 1960s, reaching places as far flung as Liverpool and Morecambe. I fear the expense of buying one of these, combined with the fact they never went south of Sheffield, will put Hornby off. Wouldn't rule out Rapido or Heljan doing it though.

Changing tack, I have a mental list of models Hornby probably WILL do, I reckon the J6 and the J21 are a given in the next few years, as is a retooled GWR Manor, a SECR/SR L1 and an LBSCR K class. I expect more attempts to cash in on Peckett-mania too, so smaller engines like the Y7 and a re-tooled Pug could be in with a chance.

• Like 4

I wouldn't rule Hornby out from making anything- nobody predicted the P2!

However, I think the following would be safe bets for them, but are somewhat unlikely-

LNER/GNSR Pickersgill D40 - has a very pretty pre-group livery, survived in to the 1950s and is the last gap to fill for anyone modelling the GNSR line in the LNER/early BR period. Would sell like hot cakes.

LBSCR Rememberance 4-6-4 - big, pretty and there's a WW1 connection. I'm willing to bet an initial run of Rememberances in LBSCR Green would become as sought after as the infamous SECR 0-6-0s.

BR Class 303 'Blue Train' - plenty of scope for an early 60s Glasgow suburban terminus with one of these, especially with the Caley 0-6-0 coming up. Hornby won't make it because it's got a stick on the roof and no third rail shoes!

LNER A8 - I'm fairly confident that an NER 0-6-0 will appear at some point, and along with one of these, you could finally model the North Yorkshire coast lines from 1930 onwards, RTR. However it's pretty much doomed to be left out I fear, even if other NER locos get made.

BR Class 124 - Common sight in the North of England in the 1960s, reaching places as far flung as Liverpool and Morecambe. I fear the expense of buying one of these, combined with the fact they never went south of Sheffield, will put Hornby off. Wouldn't rule out Rapido or Heljan doing it though.

Changing tack, I have a mental list of models Hornby probably WILL do, I reckon the J6 and the J21 are a given in the next few years, as is a retooled GWR Manor, a SECR/SR L1 and an LBSCR K class. I expect more attempts to cash in on Peckett-mania too, so smaller engines like the Y7 and a re-tooled Pug could be in with a chance.

Remember that the 303 was not exclusive to the Glasgow Area as they worked out of Longsight to Glossop and Hadfield and often could be found further afield.  Would need to be produced with the wrap round windscreens for earlier era layouts - the kits have the later flat windscreen.

Jim

Jim

• RMweb Premium

i'd buy one.  but suspect the thread title is correct. Trains Hornby could make but won't

EMUs also now have high selling prices , particularly with the need to through wire for DCC, with electrical couplers etc, then we would need to build in lights , oh yes and it must have sound provision. It all increases costs..........no chance!

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold

"Am I through to the Hornby wishlisting page?"

"Dad has asked for 2 panniers, like the 2721 class, but with the chassis worked up a bit, with brake gear, proper length, that sort of thing."

"Oh, can you put one aside for me? I'll be along later..."

Cheers,

Fred Needle-Street