Hi,

If NBR it looks like wooden pailings or wrought iron fencing? Maybe the wind break could continue in a step down fashion in stone. Either way, looking forward to seeing what happens! I did like your idea of rail embedded in the road but now taken out of use.

Best wishes

Nige

Edited by Bustered

Three things:

Road Markings: You've gone to lengths to include everything! I have a suggestion for improving the "FERRY" sign. Most words painted on roads for drivers to read have to be elongated so they appear normal to the drivers eye. I reckon it is about a factor of 4.

One way of making an elongated font could be to print out the word, scan it into powerpoint, then stretch the image in one direction. The problem will be matching the tarmac.

Have you had experience with printing your own waterslide transfers? I've seen an advert but not investigated.

As for that 37, would it have worked all the way from Doncaster, or is it a Scottish one working from Motherwell or Haymarket?

The buffer stop - Kingswear; the platform ends in ramp leading down to the roadway to the lower Dartmouth ferry, which is at right angles immediately at the bottom of the ramp. A rail built buffer stop is positioned close to end of ramp. What's at Kyle of Lochalsh? I've not seen any photos of the loch end of the station. There is a lot of regional variation in buffer stops which are rarely modelled (for instance there are several in the midlands with no vertical rails).

Best wishes,

Paul

Thanks for the comments Paul.

The Ferry markings were done on my old computer onto transfer film, it may be possible to stretch fonts, will have a look in due course, you raised a good point there.

The 37 is off the beaten track, a case of "Rule 1" (along with the 05 and 17!) - unfortunately Scottish Region had no split headcode variants in 1970, so my excuse is it was due to come off the train at Millerhill in favour of a local centre headcode loco, but due to failure it stayed with the train, but with a local crew. Scottish 40's worked the real train forward from Millerhill (if not throughout) iirc although this ran to Muir of Ord, not the West Highland!

Bufferstops: yes a rail built one of some variety looks to be the way forward. Kyle had a nicely painted red and light grey one around this time; here again passengers walked down the platform ramp onto the quayside (as did electric tractors towing caged trolleys, for carrying mails etc presumably).

Cheers,

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69

Hi, how about a simplified version of Wymess leading from the end of the canopy to the exit to the ferry; stone one side, wood panels the other?

Best wishes

Nige IMG_0162.JPG IMG_0161.JPG

Nice photos Nige and thanks for the suggestion, that would make a super model but I fear would be rather OTT for a remote place like Crinan! As with Mallaig, Oban, Kyle etc the poor foot passengers would probably be left to the elements whilst transferring to/from the ferry.

In any case the road layout would mean any such structure extending down to the pier would have to be elevated and would thus act as a view blocker to some degree whereas I am aiming to have an open feel in that area.

Thanks,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Hi Martyn,

Context is everything and you are undoubtedly correct! Will the passengers flow off the ramp to the ferry or out through the station building? Maybe a small gate affair at the ramp foot?

Best wishes

Nige

• Like 1

Hi Martyn,

Context is everything and you are undoubtedly correct! Will the passengers flow off the ramp to the ferry or out through the station building? Maybe a small gate affair at the ramp foot?

Best wishes

Nige

Hi Nige,

Officially passengers will leave through the Station but I imagine use of the ramp will be sanctioned too as the gate is inevitably left open during the day, to allow the tractor and ferry bound mail etc easy access (something I hope to model); the gate in the previous photo will be resited, probably at the top of the platform ramp with fencing down the side of the ramp (if it were at the bottom of the ramp it would have to open into the roadway which probably wouldn't be ideal, although traffic levels, given the location, would not be busy apart from when the ferry has just arrived (and even here we are talking a fairly small vessel capable of holding no more than a dozen or so vehicles probably).

Thanks,

Martyn.

A bit more progress has been made, a basic grass covering has been applied to the extension board ready for further treating, the small Lighthouse (real one here: https://goo.gl/images/9rxDS1 ) is taking shape, and small waves added to the water (almost went horribly wrong, but after much remedial fiddling I'm reasonably happy with it now).

post-28743-0-96306100-1499349900_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-96637200-1499350027_thumb.jpg

Edit: next jobs will probably be making lots of handrails for around the canal etc, soldered up from brass wire, and also the backscene. Progress is currently slow due to getting Talywain ready for Colwyn MRC's show in Llandudno on 29th/30th July.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 8

• 1 month later...

A bit more progress has been made, a basic grass covering has been applied to the extension board ready for further treating, the small Lighthouse (real one here: https://goo.gl/images/9rxDS1 ) is taking shape, and small waves added to the water (almost went horribly wrong, but after much remedial fiddling I'm reasonably happy with it now).

attachicon.gifIMG_20170706_135543.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20170706_135626.jpg

Edit: next jobs will probably be making lots of handrails for around the canal etc, soldered up from brass wire, and also the backscene. Progress is currently slow due to getting Talywain ready for Colwyn MRC's show in Llandudno on 29th/30th July.

Hi Martyn

Love the water effect. How did you create the waves? Did you use the woodlands scenes ripple effect applied on top of the water base?

Regards

Simon

Hi Martyn

Love the water effect. How did you create the waves? Did you use the woodlands scenes ripple effect applied on top of the water base?

Regards

Simon

Thanks Simon,

I used Deluxe Materials "Scenic White" which is a water based product intended for adding to molten "Scenic Water" to achieve white water effects, but yes as you say this was applied over the hardened varnish "water". I can report it is not very succesful for making waves as it takes so long to harden (it doesn't go completely solid, more wax like) that it doesn't hold its shape. I had to keep revisiting it with a brush and coffee stirer even to keep small ripples formed, although the colouring looks quite reasonable as rolling waves. However I now have some Deluxe Materials "Making Waves" (water based resin) so hopefully this can be used to build up more realistic wave forms, possibly adding a little of the "Scenic White" to produce the white water.

However, whilst camping near Portmadoc at the weekend I purchased this from the local model shop:

post-28743-0-38172800-1502291445_thumb.jpg

Now I don't particularly want a tug, and in any case the scale is too small, however the one piece hull (which will need cutting down to the waterline, or a hole cutting in the "water") and several other parts such as the bridge will be used to make a Fishing Boat of suitable size to be entering or leaving the locks, thankfully Google Images is full of inspiration!

So further progress with the waves will have to wait until this is done!

Martyn.

• Like 3

Thanks Simon,

I used Deluxe Materials "Scenic White" which is a water based product intended for adding to molten "Scenic Water" to achieve white water effects, but yes as you say this was applied over the hardened varnish "water". I can report it is not very succesful for making waves as it takes so long to harden (it doesn't go completely solid, more wax like) that it doesn't hold its shape. I had to keep revisiting it with a brush and coffee stirer even to keep small ripples formed, although the colouring looks quite reasonable as rolling waves. However I now have some Deluxe Materials "Making Waves" (water based resin) so hopefully this can be used to build up more realistic wave forms, possibly adding a little of the "Scenic White" to produce the white water.

However, whilst camping near Portmadoc at the weekend I purchased this from the local model shop:

attachicon.gifIMG_20170809_155901.jpg

Now I don't particularly want a tug, and in any case the scale is too small, however the one piece hull (which will need cutting down to the waterline, or a hole cutting in the "water") and several other parts such as the bridge will be used to make a Fishing Boat of suitable size to be entering or leaving the locks, thankfully Google Images is full of inspiration!

So further progress with the waves will have to wait until this is done!

Martyn.

Hi Martyn

Nice kits to build, more kit bashing. Theres some great pics online of model boats, I just need my harbour to dump them in ! :mosking:

Simon

• Like 1

Hi Martyn

Nice kits to build, more kit bashing. Theres some great pics online of model boats, I just need my harbour to dump them in ! :mosking:

Simon

Hi Simon,

Yes you have a few nice boats, if I can make something similar from the kit I will be happy!

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Got a little done at the Club tonight, the buildings on the extension have been fixed in place now that the backscene boards (removable) have been made (the end board behind the hotel will be stripped and re-covered, along with all the backscenes in the near future).

A fishing boat is being kitbashed from a Revell Tug kit, I took it along to test it for lock clearance, thankfully all is well! (More on this on my bodging thread)

I also test ran my latest acquisition, a Heljan Class 26 which has been modified as D5301 in post 1966 condition with air tanks in place of boiler water tank etc.

post-28743-0-60449000-1502834784_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-06251000-1502834834_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-36636900-1502834896_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-34351000-1502834935_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Got a little done at the Club tonight, the buildings on the extension have been fixed in place now that the backscene boards (removable) have been made (the end board behind the hotel will be stripped and re-covered, along with all the backscenes in the near future).

A fishing boat is being kitbashed from a Revell Tug kit, I took it along to test it for lock clearance, thankfully all is well! (More on this on my bodging thread)

I also test ran my latest acquisition, a Heljan Class 26 which has been modified as D5301 in post 1966 condition with air tanks in place of boiler water tank etc.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170815_214555.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20170815_214316.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20170815_213811_1.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20170815_213654_1.jpg

Hi Martyn

Is this the class 26 with the roof mods? If so the exhaust port looks spot on. I didnt know they had air brake equipment that early, I thought they were modified during the overhauls in the early 80s?

The boat looks just the job. look forwards to seeing it painted..........

Regards

Simon

Hi Martyn

Is this the class 26 with the roof mods? If so the exhaust port looks spot on. I didnt know they had air brake equipment that early, I thought they were modified during the overhauls in the early 80s?

The boat looks just the job. look forwards to seeing it painted..........

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon,

Yes it is, the first 6 or 7 in the series were converted for MGR operation in 1966, D5300/1 retained green livery until 1970 (the period I model) at least so I chose the latter. The rest of the 26/0's from D5302 had received blue livery prior to 1970 but apart from the MGR conversions the others retained train heating boiler tanks as far as I'm aware. I just didn't want to do a repaint into blue to be honest!

I'm not 100% sure when the exhaust position changed but I think it was mid 60s, all the photos I have seen after this seem to have the revised arrangement, so I suspect they were all done over a short time period.

Martyn.

Edit: without checking my books Istr further 26/0s were converted to MGR spec later on, possibly all of them.

Edited by Signaller69

• 2 weeks later...

That's looking good Martyn, it will really add to the Crinan look.

Al.

Thanks Al, I'm dreading doing all the rigging/cables etc, currently contemplating adding folded up nets and other fishing detritus if I can find suitable ways and means.

Cheers,

Martyn.

The fishing boat has now been completed and has taken up residence in the lock (though it is not fixed in place). The lighthouse has had a new smaller light housing built and has been fixed in place, just needing the access ladder fixed in place, and some stone chippings around the base. Due to the sharp finial, and position at the front of the new board, the top is removable when working on the layout.

The short platform extension has also been ballasted. The bufferstop has been painted matching a photo of one at Kyle of Lochalsh c.1970. I may yet have to trim a couple of sleeper lengths off the end to allow a low wall to curve around the end. Some Gaugemaster crash barriers are currently being added where the road runs close to the canal (no photos of this yet).

post-28743-0-63318300-1504649271_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-83167700-1504649308_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-92050400-1504649337_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-64891900-1504649366_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Fantastic modelling. I've visited the real-life Crinan a few times and your model certainly captures the 'air' of the place!

Thanks Corbs, as originally built the layout had no canal scene (the board with the swing bridge being a slightly later addition following a few people asking where the canal was supposed to be). I do feel that the locks extension is allowing me to hopefully capture a little more of the real place so your comments are much appreciated.

Martyn.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martyn, looking really good.

I have to ask, though, hare the council just been round and repainted all the white lines ?   I'm sure a delicate erasure in parts would help, for example just behind the buffers (above) where the traffic has cut the corner.

Unless, of course, all the drivers are very careful.

Hi Martyn, looking really good.

I have to ask, though, hare the council just been round and repainted all the white lines ? I'm sure a delicate erasure in parts would help, for example just behind the buffers (above) where the traffic has cut the corner.

Unless, of course, all the drivers are very careful.

Hi Stu,

Yes, much to do yet, the road surface will be weathered/patched in due course (once blended in over the baseboard joint), road signs added, grass added to and toned down and so on.

Cheers,

Martyn.

• Like 1

Been busy with various details, managed to fit some new railings around the canal lock, a couple of benches at the hotel, some concrete bollards, a few roadsigns and the Lighthouse ladder, some of these are pictured. Also built 4 small boats from a Kibri kit, a little small being HO scale but they pass muster for day boats and will help fill the old (mooring) lock.

post-28743-0-32106700-1505255045_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-38196600-1505254984_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-98931700-1505255117_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-67631600-1505255148_thumb.jpg

I have also been working on a completely new support wall for the platform canopy (to replace the Ratio retaining wall) at the same time as building a low wall to run alongside the new platform extension, will add a couple of pics once it is all in place; hoping to get this done tomorrow.

• Like 5