Jamieson (Eames) Loco Kits and various brass coach building & restoration projects.

I believe the three-cylinder Stanier tanks were withdrawn en mass and some, if not all were scrapped at Doncaster, apart from one preserved at Bressingham.  Lovely model.  Hope to see it finished with the Comet chassis.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Resurrecting this thread with something a bit topical what with the Heljan model now being available.

It's of unknown pedigree. lt has a whitemetal boiler and firebox and the rest is built in nickel-silver. It has a Portescap fitted. Any ideas?

She's a lovely looking brute!

post-6728-0-10990900-1530553672_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-05513800-1530553725_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-60527600-1530553813_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

^^

Could be a Kemilway one. If I understand it correctly, these were specially produced in a small batch commission and not available to the general public. If the chassis has its axles running in pivoted cradles, that is a pretty clear sign of Kemilway's involvement.

• RMweb Gold

Here's my Midland Compound on a scratch built chassis

P4265835.JPG.d632446321ea9e9e05152e4a04c33bd6.JPG

It pulls a Millholme whitemetal tender and sports a motor out of a Lord of the Isles/Caledonian Single as the wheel arrangement is quite similar.

I have a few other bodies "in Stock" that I got in a job lot. I'll strip them down one day and bung 'em on eBay ...

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...

I have a small booklet "Good "OO" Loco" By Pro, published by Hambling's  10 Cecil Court Charing Cross Road, which I believe was their original site. The booklet contains three pages of patterns for building a Lord Nelson loco. No idea of the publication date.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Pebbles said:

I have a small booklet "Good "OO" Loco" By Pro, published by Hambling's  10 Cecil Court Charing Cross Road, which I believe was their original site. The booklet contains three pages of patterns for building a Lord Nelson loco. No idea of the publication date.

I used to go into 10 Cecil Court back in the day to buy various Hamblings bits and pieces. A wondrous place!

• Agree 2

Do you think that this is a Jamison kit?

86C8C93A-6708-403E-AD57-045AC1163B8F.jpeg.8b4150ecc21d2d736c4e3785308e096c.jpeg

It looks to have some “ signature” design features but I haven’t seen one of these before. I’m just curious if anyone knows if it is a kit....I like it, wherever it came from, and I aim to add a few details but not lose the original “feel” of the loco.

(It’s just resting on the chassis at an angle in the photo....it fits better than it appears!)

Jon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I would say so Jon. The giveaway, If it is Jamieson /Eames the running plate support strip will be in square brass or maybe nickel-silver around 2.5mm ²?

Also it looks to be built in nickel-silver, albeit tarnished over time. It's a lovely and well built model.

They were sold as 'kits' but in reality they were 'aides to scratchbuilding' (!) in a time before etching they were sold as 'Handcut kits'

Edited by Re6/6
  • Thanks 1

On 23/02/2019 at 12:10, Pebbles said:

I have the same book, the original owner along with his details has added the date 12 January 1950, British Railways is credited as the photo' supplier, so published  somewhere in the two year period 1948 to 1950. Anyone with magazines published in those two years should be able to pin down the date, my collection only goes back to 1950.

Edited by micknich2003

3 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Yes, I would say so Jon. The giveaway, If it is Jamieson /Eames the running plate support strip will be in square brass or maybe nickel-silver around 2.5mm ²?

Also it looks to be built in nickel-silver, albeit tarnished over time. It's a lovely and well built model.

They were sold as 'kits' but in reality they were 'aides to scratchbuilding' (!) in a time before etching they were sold as 'Handcut kits'

It was the bar under the footplate and steps that looked different, I thought the bar was always bent to shape not cut and soldered at an angle, the steps were folded up. the rear pony truck also looks out of proportion

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, hayfield said:

It was the bar under the footplate and steps that looked different, I thought the bar was always bent to shape not cut and soldered at an angle, the steps were folded up. the rear pony truck also looks out of proportion

Come to think of it John, you are probably right. Could it be from Hamblings?

Many thanks for the replies about the A2 ( and love the photo of the real thing).

I had a look around the model tonight and the footplate cut outs look to be made by hand - there’s some curvature ( just by the first boiler band on the right) that is hopefully visible in the photo.

F80FD191-CF17-449C-AE06-7669D5876239.jpeg.b8f62b966c7f7d4f73901e5defaeda58.jpeg

The chassis is built in battleship fashion! The front bogie is retained centrally by a bolt and spring. It does run now, after a small amount of work - I suspect it has been unused for some time.

0002722E-D2B1-46FF-9E8E-0966880EB369.jpeg.a36d05822c2aa3b3cf2701212126df5f.jpeg

Final photo is the tender

172E1200-5FAC-438C-9230-09441D0AD3BD.jpeg.17563717e0dc7cee3229b858ce8f27da.jpeg

After doing this, I remembered that I had kept an article from Model Rail February 2003 entitled “Remember Jamieson”. I dug the article out and found that there is a listing of the handcut kits produced by Eames. In the list is an NER Raven A2 produced from April 1972. 

Whatever its origin it will be nice to see it running - hopefully I can do it justice.

Jon

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

An old thread I know but in my mission to stockpile kits/locos (All unintentional) I think I might be on to another Jamison Jumbo if it comes off that will be four Jamison Jumbos and a Jamison Drummond class 66 4-4-0 in the to do stack.

Both the class 66 and one of the Jumbos has had the bodies (well) built but not the chassis which look very much of there time so a better option for the Jumbos will be required I might be able to do something with the class 66 chassis 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...

Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with finding any instructions for a Jamieson/Eames LNER V2 superstructure kit, (or a drawing to work too) please?

I've just been given a kit that friend picked up at auction.

The kit looks to be mostly complete, with the exception of the firebox wrapper which is missing!

I'm keen to have a go at building the body, but could do with some dimensions or a drawing to help make the missing firebox wrapper.

Any assistance on this would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Jeremy

Hi John,

Thanks for the rapid reply, a scan of the drawing will be much appreciated, to help sort out the dimensions of the firebox.

This will be my first go at this sort of scratch aid kit, I'm a fairly experienced kit builder, but have not yet tried anything that requires this much scratch building of details. This might be one to document as I go, (Might not be for a while though - I'll have to clear the workbench first!).

Cheers

Jeremy