Correct SR livery for DS1169 - the Ruston Hornsby 48DS

On 23/08/2016 at 21:34, pete_mcfarlane said:

I'm now painting my own model of DS1169 and there a re afew things I've noticed. Based on photos, it seems to have started out in BR service as a standard Ruston loco with a Ruston logo on the radiator.

The car number-plates were acquired whilst on the Southern. 

The white radiator seems to have appeared after the transfer to the WR in 1962. 

It also lost the angle iron derail guards on the buffer beams at some point in the 1960s. The cab opening were plated in at some point, along with the ability to completely secure the cab (to stop vandals and/or snow and rain getting in). 

I also have a sneaking suspicion that the green it carries in the colour photo is just a faded version of the Ruston paint job it had when it left the factory. 

I'm basing my model on the photo in BR Fleet Survey volume 7: Diesel Shunters. It was take on 28/-3/1970, and shows the loco with a white end, no derail guards, enclosed cab opening and car numberplates on the cab sides. 

Do you know wheat the standard Ruston colour was before it changed to Deep Bronze Green c1957?

It was a more olive shade. I've seen it in untouched corners of old locos, but of course weathered and oily. Tonks in his history calls it "dark olive green", and the cover of my copy of the book is an approximation of the colour. Tonks calls the later colour "Brunswick", but I agree with your description of it as Deep Bronze.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Do you know wheat the standard Ruston colour was before it changed to Deep Bronze Green c1957?

4 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

It was a more olive shade. I've seen it in untouched corners of old locos, but of course weathered and oily. Tonks in his history calls it "dark olive green", and the cover of my copy of the book is an approximation of the colour. Tonks calls the later colour "Brunswick", but I agree with your description of it as Deep Bronze.

According to the Eric Tonk's book on Rustons it started out as a dark olive green then  'In postwar years a lighter olive green was adopted'. I assumed that DS1169 would be painted the ealier shade, as it was built in 1946. 

You can actually buy tins of the earlier shade for repainting your barn engine - usual comments about colour not scaling apply though. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250968327233

Edited by pete_mcfarlane
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/07/2021 at 20:20, Tony Teague said:

Thanks Keith

Looking at that, I'm not unhappy with the livery that I adopted.

Tony

Yup. I saw it once there and that was as it was! That is a good colour repro of what I remember.

Thanks for the info chaps.

P

• Thanks 1