Upcoming O gauge sale - End of the line at Marsh Lane

MarshLane

• RMweb Gold

Sound`s like you`ve been working overtime with the idea`s for the 'Big' layout and very good they sound too....

But think i`ve missed something (or a post?) somewhere!.

I thought 'Arksey' was going to be a 50`s - 60`s layout with kettles & diesel`s?,now i read that the 80`s are back on the table!.

Please put an old fella`s mind at rest...... :O

Mornin' fella

Haha! No you've not missed anything, I keep thinking out loud on here and confusing people! Arksey has always been 50s/60s in my mind, in terms of period, and I'm viewing it as a long-term layout. But the problem is conflicting ideas, not helped by acquiring a green 37 and 47 in November, and the Western/Hymek that should have been to be going to mates didn't help. They decided not to take them as they were blue ones, so them being here added more queries!

In the end, I thought much over Christmas, and with a fleet of 19 made up 5x08s, 2x20s, 25, 31, 3x37s, 40, 3x47s, 58 and 2x60s, along with the new 37 and 45 that are coming out this year, I realised it would be a totally stupid move to change eras given the cost of these things, so reluctantly decided to stay 1980s, with the addition of my A2 on steam specials from time to time!!

Plus I keep seeing Layouts like yours and remembering why I went for the 1980s to start with! Net result is that the two hydraulics will be disposed off and the green 37 and 47 will be heading for repainting during the year!

With Bristol exhibition on the horizon I wanted to make sure I'd got everything nailed down once and for all. Think I'm there now.

Might have to start the Arksey thread if only to avoid confusing people, to post the track plans and give the background!

That could be danerous mate,as i`ve already made a boo boo on my 'Grampus' wagons .. only a little one mind you,but still made one all the same!. :fool:

Looking forward to great things coming from the 'flat land`s' in 2017......

Well that's not good ... get it right!!! Haha! Hope the mistake is rectifiable or not noticeable - you've not painted it Network Rail yellow or something have you?!

Hope I can live up to the expectation!

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year Rich,

Looking forwards to following your layout projects in 2017. More 37s and Peaks too nice. 

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter - same to you.  I draw much inspiration from Llanbourne!

Happy new year Rich and here's to 2017, looking forward to the 'Big Project'

Cheers

Cheers mate - same in return to you and the family.  So am I - just want to get started!!!!

Rich

• Like 1

Phew....I was starting to have trouble keeping up with your post`s and idea`s...!

'so reluctantly decided to stay 1980s' hummm......

Thing`s need`nt be so final,especially as you`ve got an A2 coming.

There`s nothing to say that you can`t turn the clock back every now and then,and run train`s from the 50`s or 60`s considering that quite a lot of the railway infrastructure from that time survied till the eighties in one form or another.And i think i`m right in saying that you are going for semapore signal anyway,so that`s one major obstruction to turning the clock back.As to buildings,the railway related one`s could come from an earlier time,but if not,just make them removable,the same could go for non-railway ones too.?(that is if your that bothered!)

At the end of day,(oh how i hate that phrase!) rule #1 comes into force....

Though i can Sympathise with your reasoning behind your decision,especially when i think back at all the American O that`s gone through my hand`s in the past twenty year`s.But this a  hobby and not a business,so i did get enjoyment out of them at the time!.

Well that's not good ... get it right!!! Haha! Hope the mistake is rectifiable or not noticeable - you've not painted it Network Rail yellow or something have you?!

Hope I can live up to the expectation!

Rich

Nothing too drastic,and it has been put right..As for Network yellow....  eek not on my layout lad!,though i do like the engineers 'Dutch' livery.

And yes,were expecting 'greatness' from you this year mate.....  :ok: :D

Cheers,

Brian.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Phew....I was starting to have trouble keeping up with your post`s and idea`s...!

'so reluctantly decided to stay 1980s' hummm......

Thing`s need`nt be so final,especially as you`ve got an A2 coming.

There`s nothing to say that you can`t turn the clock back every now and then,and run train`s from the 50`s or 60`s considering that quite a lot of the railway infrastructure from that time survied till the eighties in one form or another.And i think i`m right in saying that you are going for semapore signal anyway,so that`s one major obstruction to turning the clock back.As to buildings,the railway related one`s could come from an earlier time,but if not,just make them removable,the same could go for non-railway ones too.?(that is if your that bothered!)

At the end of day,(oh how i hate that phrase!) rule #1 comes into force....

yes,were expecting 'greatness' from you this year mate..... :ok: :D

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Thanks mate. Yes your right, there's nothing to stop other things from running, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist in someways. In my own mind I can get away with the A2 on blue/grey Mk1s because 'Blue Peter' was on the main line in the 80s, before its big slip tab Durham. So that works, but an 02 plodding up the main on minerals with a 60 alongside just wouldn't work for me!!! Just me being me. But I like to try and get things right, as I remember them. Hence the decision to stick with the 80s.

Just I do agree, it's only a hobby and a model, so rule #1 applies at all times!

As for expecting greatness! Oh my god, pile the pressure on why don't you :) hehe I'll be pleased if I can get the fiddle yard laid and trains running by Christmas. At least there are numerous little projects to keep me going and stopping me from getting bored.

Made some progress yesterday on the signalling for the loft, the first of the original Derby block instruments was successfully tested ... oh the bells, the bells!!! A lovely sound, and memories of Barnetby East on a summers evening :)

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 2

As for expecting greatness! Oh my god, pile the pressure on why don't you :) hehe I'll be pleased if I can get the fiddle yard laid and trains running by Christmas. At least there are numerous little projects to keep me going and stopping me from getting bored.

Rich 

What pressue would that be then mate........ :tease: :lol:

I see where your coming from on the mix and match approach,and having a single era does mean that you can focus your energies on it, better than trying to split your time and monies between two.

I had thought of running some stuff from about 74' myself on Gosty,but it`s such a small layout there`d be no point.

I do like the wagon works idea a lot,and it has also provided me with some much need  inspiration for a photo diorama that i`m about to start!.

Cheer`s,

Brian.

ps,i can hear that 58 on a loaded MGR working already..... :sungum:

• Like 1

Hi Brian,

Thanks mate. Yes your right, there's nothing to stop other things from running, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist in someways. In my own mind I can get away with the A2 on blue/grey Mk1s because 'Blue Peter' was on the main line in the 80s, before its big slip tab Durham. So that works, but an 02 plodding up the main on minerals with a 60 alongside just wouldn't work for me!!! Just me being me. But I like to try and get things right, as I remember them. Hence the decision to stick with the 80s.

Just I do agree, it's only a hobby and a model, so rule #1 applies at all times!

Made some progress yesterday on the signalling for the loft, the first of the original Derby block instruments was successfully tested ... oh the bells, the bells!!! A lovely sound, and memories of Barnetby East on a summers evening :)

Rich

Did someone say block bells? Pics please!!! It's one thing I miss from my manual box days....

JF

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'll pop some up this afternoon Jon!

All part of the build up to Arksey, which will be linked in with your signals and a miniature lever frame!

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jon,

Sorry ran out of time today, but I'll put some pics up tomorrow!

On another note, has anyone added headlights/cab lights to DCC locos in O gauge, if so any recommendations or tips? I want to improve the marker/headlight/tail/cab right options on the DCC fleet I've got, but not totally sure how to go with it. Must see if Pete Harvey's high intensity headlight is suitable to be modified.

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rich

I know that Pete Harvey & Brian Daniels have done a few conversions with additional lighting.....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/17670-7mm-class-37s-other-Heljan-7mm-models/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1458-brians-7mm-diesel-workbench-4tc-conversion/page-26

I hope this helps

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Did someone say block bells? Pics please!!! It's one thing I miss from my manual box days....

JF

Jon,

You were talking about block bells - heads up to all ... if your not into signalling, then this may be a boring post, if you are .. read on! 

This is one of the two block instruments that was obtained about 18 months ago for Arksey (which for those who may have fallen asleep, or even been away munching too much turkey over Christmas, will be the permanent, long-term layout in the loft).

IMG_4765.jpg

Im not totally sure which box it came from, but is (I believe) a standard BR design, fully working and within a few months will be back controlling trains again, admittedly 7mm to the foot, rather than 1ft to the foot!  It obviously interfaced with Derby North Junction, but I'm not aware of the old boxes around there.  Its had a trial connection to power, and all indicators along with the bell work and function correctly:

Not the most exciting of videos, but shows that it works.  I think I've got the programming done for the little PICAXE processor that will interface between the DCC system and this, so just a case of putting the electrical circuity together with the relays to work things now.  Im quite proud of the software (or will be once I've proven it) as it can count and decipher the bell codes entered by the human on the tapper, and relay those to the DCC system, to allow the automated part of the layout (i.e. the train driver) to proceed. Also have worked out how to interlock the section starter lever on the miniature lever frame so that, like the real thing, it can only be cleared for a train heading back into the storage yard, once the proper bell sequence has run through, and the 'Up Main' indicator (in this case) is showing line clear.

Mind you, if all of this works when its wired up, it could be a minor miracle!

Rich

EDIT: I'll get the hang of linking these videos correctly yet - just wish I could get the video box a bit larger!

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

God this is getting serious, two posts in an hour, let alone the same day! :)

I spent a bit of time this Christmas scanning images, and while I'm not proposing this becomes a photo thread, I thought given the current discussions on various topics on here about weathering 08s, these might be useful!  Only one is the same batch as the Dapol example, but still - rare to even see one on the National Network today.

Hope you all enjoy

Rich

2016-01-02-0002F.jpg

Class 08 No. 08244 is pictured between duties on Tinsley Depot on 28th October 1984.

2016-01-03-0005.jpg

Class 08 No. 08954 is pictured arriving at Wenford Bridge on 3rd July 1980 with two empty China Clay ‘hoods’ and a brake van in tow.

20160908-1982-07-18-0001.jpg

BR Class 08 No. 08599 ‘Gorton’ is pictured at an location believed to be Longsight shunting vacumn-braked bogie bolster wagons on 18th July 1982

And to conclude ... one just for Lee and his love of '40s'...

20160908-1982-07-01-0002.jpg

Class 40 No. 40055 passes the platforms at Guide Bridge on 1st July 1982, heading west ‘light engine’.

• Like 7

Jon,

You were talking about block bells - heads up to all ... if your not into signalling, then this may be a boring post, if you are .. read on! 

This is one of the two block instruments that was obtained about 18 months ago for Arksey (which for those who may have fallen asleep, or even been away munching too much turkey over Christmas, will be the permanent, long-term layout in the loft).

IMG_4765.jpg

Im not totally sure which box it came from, but is (I believe) a standard BR design, fully working and within a few months will be back controlling trains again, admittedly 7mm to the foot, rather than 1ft to the foot!  It obviously interfaced with Derby North Junction, but I'm not aware of the old boxes around there.  Its had a trial connection to power, and all indicators along with the bell work and function correctly:

Not the most exciting of videos, but shows that it works.  I think I've got the programming done for the little PICAXE processor that will interface between the DCC system and this, so just a case of putting the electrical circuity together with the relays to work things now.  Im quite proud of the software (or will be once I've proven it) as it can count and decipher the bell codes entered by the human on the tapper, and relay those to the DCC system, to allow the automated part of the layout (i.e. the train driver) to proceed. Also have worked out how to interlock the section starter lever on the miniature lever frame so that, like the real thing, it can only be cleared for a train heading back into the storage yard, once the proper bell sequence has run through, and the 'Up Main' indicator (in this case) is showing line clear.

Mind you, if all of this works when its wired up, it could be a minor miracle!

Rich

EDIT: I'll get the hang of linking these videos correctly yet - just wish I could get the video box a bit larger!

Yep, BR standard blocks, or "plastic penguins" to those who prefer the nice old wooden ones.  :onthequiet:  Me? I like them all, even though the plastic ones replaced the older types, its still nice to hear blocks ringing and to have a good rattle on the tapper occasionally (oo-er missus!)

We have a couple wired up on our layout but persuading the operators to use them seems to be a bit of a lost cause! I have a couple of L&YR ones at home and also a spare bell connected to the front door bell button. Most callers just press it once like a normal doorbell but those in the know will give it a few dings to wake us up when they call.

If my missus leaves the key in the door on the inside and I can't unlock it from the outside she gets a freightliner offered on the bell (3-2-5) or an electric ordinary passenger train (3-1-2). Winds her up no end! :jester:

JF

God this is getting serious, two posts in an hour, let alone the same day! :)

I spent a bit of time this Christmas scanning images, and while I'm not proposing this becomes a photo thread, I thought given the current discussions on various topics on here about weathering 08s, these might be useful!  Only one is the same batch as the Dapol example, but still - rare to even see one on the National Network today.

Hope you all enjoy

Rich

2016-01-02-0002F.jpg

Class 08 No. 08244 is pictured between duties on Tinsley Depot on 28th October 1984.

2016-01-03-0005.jpg

Class 08 No. 08954 is pictured arriving at Wenford Bridge on 3rd July 1980 with two empty China Clay ‘hoods’ and a brake van in tow.

20160908-1982-07-18-0001.jpg

BR Class 08 No. 08599 ‘Gorton’ is pictured at an location believed to be Longsight shunting vacumn-braked bogie bolster wagons on 18th July 1982

And to conclude ... one just for Lee and his love of '40s'...

20160908-1982-07-01-0002.jpg

Class 40 No. 40055 passes the platforms at Guide Bridge on 1st July 1982, heading west ‘light engine’.

Cracking pictures, but the Wenford Bridge one's really Jintymans' photo plank with a weathered Dapol 08 on it.....isn't it?

JF

PS, yes I'm on night shift this week.. :stinker:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yep, BR standard blocks, or "plastic penguins" to those who prefer the nice old wooden ones. :onthequiet: Me? I like them all, even though the plastic ones replaced the older types, its still nice to hear blocks ringing and to have a good rattle on the tapper occasionally (oo-er missus!)

We have a couple wired up on our layout but persuading the operators to use them seems to be a bit of a lost cause! I have a couple of L&YR ones at home and also a spare bell connected to the front door bell button. Most callers just press it once like a normal doorbell but those in the know will give it a few dings to wake us up when they call.

If my missus leaves the key in the door on the inside and I can't unlock it from the outside she gets a freightliner offered on the bell (3-2-5) or an electric ordinary passenger train (3-1-2). Winds her up no end! :jester:

JF

Haha! Like it! What a shame the layout operators won't use them, Arksey won't give you the option! Don't ring the bells through, nothing moves! I'm keeping my eye out for a working GN or GC block instrument and bell, as Arksey will need three in total.

Love the door bell - I'd have gone for testing bells (16) to remind her to take the key out!!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Cracking pictures, but the Wenford Bridge one's really Jintymans' photo plank with a weathered Dapol 08 on it.....isn't it?

JF

PS, yes I'm on night shift this week.. :stinker:

Damm! Here's me thinking nobody would notice if I snuck that in ;)

Rich

Love the door bell - I'd have gone for testing bells (16) to remind her to take the key out!!

Rich

I don`t know about the key..i think you`d be the one she 'put`s out'......... :blackeye:

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

I don`t know about the key..i think you`d be the one she 'put`s out'......... :blackeye:

Brian.

Good point - note to self, ensure house is in one name ... mine!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Well managed to get about 90 minutes tonight to move the pointwork on a little, I'm not doing too much until the Bristol 7mm show, as I need to acquire a range of things for both the scenic pointwork, but more immediately the copper clad pointwork for the loft storage yards. However, there is still work to finish on the crossover, and the brake van to complete, so those are the focus for the next couple of weeks!  The brake van is also likely to become one test vehicle for Spratt & winkle auto couplings, which I'm proposing to use for the 'BIG' layout - they seem the most unobtrusive and easily fitted auto couplers on the market, but having never used anything like that before, a couple of vehicles will become test beds.

So a little more work on the pointwork:

IMG_4770.jpg

If you haven't already guessed, the soldered connections have started to go on.  I originally wanted to solder these under the rails to keep them out of sight, but just couldn't achieve it with the card backing.  I dislodged four sleepers and chairs while trying to cut the backing away, so resorted to side soldering next to a sleeper.  I think once its been sprayed and fitted to the boards it should be fine an mostly unnoticeable.

However, while doing this task I suddenly realised one major c*ck up.  On the nearest line, the far side rail down to the distant vee, returning on the near side rail of the farthest line is all one piece, yet it if both points are set for straight on (i.e. not crossing over) then a dead short will appear as the DCC will be trying to feed both positive and negative onto the same rail! Oops!  :scratchhead: So the rail is going to need cutting with the Dremel to separate the electrics. The power was always going to be microswitch controlled through the servo.

The question therefore comes, where do people generally break the rail when building a crossover?  As the picture below shows, my original idea was to split where a pair of Peco points would be split, but because of the sleepers that makes it difficult to get a straight cut.  So I then thought about offsetting them, as in my view it doesn't matter where the break is as long as its past the point of electrical contact with other rails.  Does anyone have any views or comments?

IMG_4769edit.jpg

Rich

• Like 4

Hi Rich,

Whilst I do not disagree with your proposed cutting points for electrical isolation, may I suggest elsewhere that needs a visit with the razor saw or the slitting disc.

I have placed little yellow circles where I believe a cut needs to be.

Obviously if you have a different frog wiring than the normal method of making it all live including the nose and lead onto the switch rails, it may not be the way to go.

post-14906-0-93747000-1483743600_thumb.jpg

Hope that helps

Jinty ;)