Progress on the cafe. I decided to use the original carriage roof and add a small awning instead of the wriggly tin roof on the prototype. A skylight has been added to provide light and ventilation to the khazis. Almost ready for painting.

There is only about 2' of ballasting left to do excluding the yet to be laid WD sidings. I'll probablly make a start on the station platform tomorrow.

post-13142-0-09931000-1490305839_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-65474700-1490305840_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

might be abit old post but just came across ASAM models they do military kits ?

ASAM do produce 1:48 scale military vehicle kits. Unfortunately, they are either Second World War or contemporary vehicles missing out the 50s, 60s and 70s.  However, Pete Waterman told me at Kettering at the beginning of the month that JLTRT will be producing 1:43 scale resin kits of 1950s and 60s British Army equipment and if the quality of his 1:43 Crusader tank is anything to go by, they will be rather good.

ASAM do produce 1:48 scale military vehicle kits. Unfortunately, they are either Second World War or contemporary vehicles missing out the 50s, 60s and 70s.  However, Pete Waterman told me at Kettering at the beginning of the month that JLTRT will be producing 1:43 scale resin kits of 1950s and 60s British Army equipment and if the quality of his 1:43 Crusader tank is anything to go by, they will be rather good.

Thats great news!!

Jimmy's Cafe at Tonfanau Camp is completed and waiting to be planted in its final location. The proprietor is Jimmy McSkinning, a former soldier who passed through Tonfanau Camp some years before. After his National Service with the Royal Artillery (it was a while before I realised that Bl***y Gunner was two words), he went regular and transferred to the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, Scotland's donkey wallopers. A few years later he was posted to the Provost Staff in the guardroom at Tonfanau Camp where he served with the feared and infamous Lance-Corporal Hermes Fagg. After nine years Jimmy decided to call it a day and open up a cafe in an old carriage by the railway station. Jimmy's is very popular with the soldiers who seem to prefer his epic "Full English" to the questionable pleasures of the Army Catering Corps (Andy Capp's Cowboys) and the NAAFI (No Ambition And Football Interest).

post-13142-0-30448400-1490815373_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-42328400-1490815375_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Jimmy's Cafe at Tonfanau Camp is completed and waiting to be planted in its final location. The proprietor is Jimmy McSkinning, a former soldier who passed through Tonfanau Camp some years before. After his National Service with the Royal Artillery (it was a while before I realised that Bl***y Gunner was two words), he went regular and transferred to the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, Scotland's donkey wallopers. A few years later he was posted to the Provost Staff in the guardroom at Tonfanau Camp where he served with the feared and infamous Lance-Corporal Hermes Fagg. After nine years Jimmy decided to call it a day and open up a cafe in an old carriage by the railway station. Jimmy's is very popular with the soldiers who seem to prefer his epic "Full English" to the questionable pleasures of the Army Catering Corps (Andy Capp's Cowboys) and the NAAFI (No Ambition And Football Interest).

Just noticed -  would that be a 'Crittall' steel-framed window in the coach end?  Great if kept well maintained and painted, just don't let them get rusty -  the Devil's own job to fettle them back into good order.  Not perhaps the best choice for a seaside location, but probably easy then to pick up from a demolition yard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

......or the Aldershot cement company!! .....apologies to former  members of Her Majesty,s catering Corps!...

Despite all the jokes about them, it's a pity they are still not around as an independent corps in the military, having been subsumed into the Royal Logistic Corps in April 1993.

What is not known is how deadly they were in action.

Very few units could claim to have taken out a complete battalion of men with just a single soldier, but the ACC did.

It was called food poisoning!

• Like 2

I am working on the platform for Tonfanau Camp station. As a little diversion I have printed the running-in board, which will be trimmed to size, and the totem signs on glossy photographic paper  in my ink-jet printer. From the small number of photos that exist, the real Tonfanau station didn't appear to possess totem signs, but I like them so Tonfanau Camp will be suitably endowed.

The running-in board is simply a text box drawn in MS Word. The totems were draw in MS Paint and copied and pasted into MS Word for sizing and printing. The running-in board will be mounted on redundant BH rail.

post-13142-0-73867900-1490949536_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

You need to print with pigment ink, not dye, if using inkjet, or use colour laser. Laser printed will look ok from normal viewing distance, but a bit dotty if you want to take close up photos. You can get uv resist sprays for dye based inkjet. I doubt if you can get pigment inks for the common home inkjets.

I've been printing my own station signs for years but have yet to find an archival paper and ink. I used Epson best quality photo paper but the colours went walkabout within weeks of being installed on platforms and buildings.

Cwm Bach's totems are still looking good after two years. They're so easy to print and replace I don't think I shall get too worked up.

• Like 3

Having visited Cwm Bach earlier in the day (see full story on the Cwm Bach thread), my grand-daughter's porcine friends, the Pig Family visited Tonfanau Camp station. They had been scheduled for a brake van special comprisong two GWR Toads and BR 20T Standard brake van, but the organiser, Miss Rabbit, underestimated the large size of some members of the Pig family. Fortunately, a couple of open wagons were rustled up at short notice to save the day and it didn't rain. On a more serious note, the pigs are ScaleSeven models, but seem perfectly at home on my Finescale rolling stock.

post-13142-0-95468200-1490975591_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Having visited Cwm Bach earlier in the day (see full story on the Cwm Bach thread), my grand-daughter's porcine friends, the Pig Family visited Tonfanau Camp station. They had been scheduled for a brake van special comprisong two GWR Toads and BR 20T Standard brake van, but the organiser, Miss Rabbit, underestimated the large size of some members of the Pig family. Fortunately, a couple of open wagons were rustled up at short notice to save the day and it didn't rain. On a more serious note, the pigs are ScaleSeven models, but seem perfectly at home on my Finescale rolling stock.

I presume the train is bound for Mochdre...

• Funny 1

Steve - I have a stack of what I always assumed to be ex-military Crittall frames from Nissen huts, with a couple of exceptions they are all galvanised.

attachicon.gifchores040.gif

As I said, if well maintained you are OK.  But if the galvanising is compromised, it's just your common-or-garden steel underneath -  you only have to look at vessels tied up in port, to see what a maritime environment can do.

Just saying ;-)

This is more interesting than window frames. It is a short video clip of the first engineering prototype of our Minerva 0 gauge RTR 57XX 0-6-0 pannier tank locomotive on the factory test track. The 8750 prototype  is on its way to the UK for inspection.

• Like 9

This is more interesting than window frames. It is a short video clip of the first engineering prototype of our Minerva 0 gauge RTR 57XX 0-6-0 pannier tank locomotive on the factory test track. The 8750 prototype is on its way to the UK for inspection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc1fWhlXtzc&feature=youtu.be

Awesome!!!!!

Jinty ;)