Interesting that with the massive loss of coal traffic, they are not looking at converting or otherwise utilising some hoppers ?

Nice photos - MMAs, will these become Kickboxes :)

There some coal hopper conversions about, but to carry stone traffic economically, shorter wagons are required. 'Cut'n'shuts' of existing wagons could be done, but it might be easier to fabricate new bodies and re-use the running gear.

• RMweb Premium

There some coal hopper conversions about, but to carry stone traffic economically, shorter wagons are required. 'Cut'n'shuts' of existing wagons could be done, but it might be easier to fabricate new bodies and re-use the running gear.

There was talk of shortening some coal hoppers from 4 bay to 3 bay. The Freightliner HIAs are effectively a short version of a HXA already.

Cheers,

Mick

Interesting that with the massive loss of coal traffic, they are not looking at converting or otherwise utilising some hoppers ?

Nice photos - MMAs, will these become Kickboxes :)

Recently there has been a lot of use of ex coal hoppers in the stone trains loading at Moreton -on-Lugg. Here are some shots of a couple of ex National Power examples that appeared recently on 24th April last, mixed in with a variety of other types.

66177 providing motive power.

post-7146-0-09717000-1464127811_thumb.jpg

HJA 300403.

post-7146-0-33024900-1464127818_thumb.jpg

HJA 300418.

post-7146-0-67121900-1464127824_thumb.jpg

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium

The problem with using wagons for aggregate traffic that have been designed for coal is that they can easily be overloaded. The other issue is that to carry the same weight in stone takes a longer train length than "proper" stone wagons..

Cheers,

Mick

Those particular NP liveried ones were designed for limestone traffic rather than coal, so ought to be pretty well suited.

The DB red one behind 300418 is one of the former NP coal hoppers though. Those were in aggregate usage way before the recent slump in coal train activity.

Nice 03 :)

Those particular NP liveried ones were designed for limestone traffic rather than coal, so ought to be pretty well suited.

The DB red one behind 300418 is one of the former NP coal hoppers though. Those were in aggregate usage way before the recent slump in coal train activity.

The nice DB red one was HKA 300667 seen below on 24-04-16..

post-7146-0-01475700-1464167866_thumb.jpg

There was another one 600333, further forward in the train. They both had buffers on one end and formed the end vehicles of fixed rakes. Maybe that was the reason for them being included in the train. HKA300633 below on the same day.

post-7146-0-13159800-1464167873_thumb.jpg

To echo what newbyford said, the inclusion of the ex coal hoppers in trains into Moreton on Lugg does make a difference. With the shorter proper aggregate hoppers, such as the JGA below, it is possible to run around 20/21 hoppers (depending on the hoppers in the train), giving a possible payload of 2,100 tons. The ex coal hoppers being longer means  sometimes only 17 hoppers fit , possibly loosing 400 odd tons of payload.

JGA 17223. Moreton on Lugg 24-04-16.

post-7146-0-29567100-1464167882_thumb.jpg

03145 seen behind 66177 is undergoing a long overdue spruce up under the bonnet, having never been touched since it was overhauled at Swindon Works in September 1982. Below was the situation as at 15-05-16. Still some way to go before we finish. (Sorry for rambling off topic).

post-7146-0-58657500-1464167889_thumb.jpg

Paul J.

There was a 66 and a set of wagons that might've been these (I didn't get a good look, just driving past) waiting at a signal at Furness Vale last week (I think), probably about 8:45, would it have been these? They were recently-painted opens at any rate.

8.45pm then yes it is quite possible that what you saw was the return empties from Ashburys to Dowlow heading up the LNWR line to Buxton and I noted a rake of 14 with 60019 on this same working on Monday afternoon

There is already a set of FLHH MWA's in the country, arrived at Guide Bridge last Friday (20/05) currently awaiting acceptance to traffic.

50 of the 55 will run on bogies recovered from scrapped HHA hoppers

The 3004xx series are the former NP 194xx series these were built specifically for limestone traffic and were built before the longer JMA fleet (NP196xx / 3006xx series) so they have only ever been used for aggregates....I could have that wrong though.

• RMweb Premium

8.45pm then yes it is quite possible that what you saw was the return empties from Ashburys to Dowlow heading up the LNWR line to Buxton and I noted a rake of 14 with 60019 on this same working on Monday afternoon

It was 8:45 am (I've seen them running at that time a couple of times), same route though. I don't remember the actual day but could've been this http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R20176/2016/05/19/advanced The going from early to late at Furness Vale seems consistent with me seeing a train sitting at the signal there at any rate.

• RMweb Gold

MMAs are at Eccles again, they are booked to depart at 01:49 tomorrow meaning, assuming unloading goes well, they will be parked up again later.

If anyone has specific photos they would like me to take then let me know - remember I cannot get to the far side so I'm stuck with one sided only photos but I'm happy to walk the rake if necessary and do what I can - otherwise I'll simply photograph any that a different from the last working.

66053 is the train loco.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the MMA's are spreading their wings a bit more. A rake was used on 6Z11 Dowlow Briggs Sidings to Southampton Up Yard on 2nd June, caught the train passing Easenhall on the WCML behind 66116.

post-7258-0-56072700-1465506084_thumb.jpg

Andy.

To echo what newbyford said, the inclusion of the ex coal hoppers in trains into Moreton on Lugg does make a difference. With the shorter proper aggregate hoppers, such as the JGA below, it is possible to run around 20/21 hoppers (depending on the hoppers in the train), giving a possible payload of 2,100 tons. The ex coal hoppers being longer means sometimes only 17 hoppers fit , possibly loosing 400 odd tons of payload.

Paul J.

The gross laden weight is max 102T so payload is generally around 80t. Losing 4 wagons is still a bit hit though

If I'm reading those pictograms correctly the handbrake will only hold the wagon on a gradient fo 2.5% (1 in 40) or less.  This seems a little restrictive as there are steeper gradients on the main line and some industrial lines might be steeper still.  Perhaps it explains the chocks? 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived