The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Top Gear?

'CHARD

Very much like the TG Japanese car-train race then - pick two locations on opposite sides of Japan,  with a fast new road between them, one of which is a boat ride from the nearest station, and where the train journey involves going all the way down one side of the island, changing trains and going back up the other side, Meanwhile the motorist is allowed to break the speed limits provided he wears a Bill Oddie mask, and still only gets to his destination a couple of minutes after the train passengers....

I fail to see any resemblance to the level playing field I described, let alone 'very much like' other than there happens to be a car and a train involved.

And I have not even got to the cost. In many cases it is cheaper and quicker to rent a car and fuel it than buy the train ticket(s)

• RMweb Premium
Previously, we'd had a staged level crossing crash - showing the mangled remains of a car hit by a loco - with Clarkson repeatedly stressing the fact that the crash test dummy wasn't wearing a day-glo jacket.

I was already familiar with this subliminal method of making people think about the real message behind the film - a number of people in colleges (myself included, when I worked in a University) routinely use exactly the same method to drive home important points. I know this method works - I also know quality journalism when I see it - this was top drawer.

How does that work - people will remember the image of the mangled car but not feel lectured at so are less likely to counter-react to it?

• RMweb Gold

How does that work - people will remember the image of the mangled car but not feel lectured at so are less likely to counter-react to it?

I'm not completely sure - but I think you're probably right.

Some say it's a load of psychological bunkum - and an excuse for some people to feel smug.

All I know is that it seems to work with a number of people.

And on that bombshell ...

You mean like the last one where the VSOE won?

And also in one of the last series Hammond and May on LT night bus, Thameslink, Eurostar, Paris Metro and TGV beat Clarkson in a Shelby in a race from Wembley to the San Siro.

I echo previous comments that the VSOE challenge should have been so much more - I do wonder if the Beeb have deliberately kept it short so to sell an extended Version on DVD. Unfortunately for me the very fact that Eddie Jordan was in it was enough for me to grab the IPad and mentally switch off. Once again the stars in the car was awful.

Stay on the One Show Chris! :mad:

I didn't like Clarkson much either though.

Stay on the One Show Chris! :mad:

I didn't like Clarkson much either though.

• RMweb Gold

And also in one of the last series Hammond and May on LT night bus, Thameslink, Eurostar, Paris Metro and TGV beat Clarkson in a Shelby in a race from Wembley to the San Siro.

I echo previous comments that the VSOE challenge should have been so much more - I do wonder if the Beeb have deliberately kept it short so to sell an extended Version on DVD. Unfortunately for me the very fact that Eddie Jordan was in it was enough for me to grab the IPad and mentally switch off. Once again the stars in the car was awful.

At this rate, it won't be long before somebody suggests that "things can only get better".

• RMweb Gold

The stars in the cars is now Evans talk show and its getting on for 1/4 of the show, so much for keeping Evans in the background!

New Top Gear - 5 mins of the 1st episode was enough of that.......

YES Jerry was outragous and outspoken at times but along with May and Hammond made for a very watchable and entertaining programme

Thankfully we now have the 3 amigos on Amazon.....

• Like 1

The stars in the cars is now Evans talk show and its getting on for 1/4 of the show, so much for keeping Evans in the background!

I fast forward the segment in episode 3 and it timed at 20 minutes - 1/3rd of the show.

Steve

I fast forward the segment in episode 3 and it timed at 20 minutes - 1/3rd of the show.

Steve

Me too. The segment was dull before and utter rubbish now.

Judging from the last 2 shows though, the problem seems to be they have 2 Chris's on the team, and the wrong one s the main presenter...

Guest CLARENCE

Does anyone actually prefer the new show/ presenters???

Personally, I hated the Clarkson version as well!

Edited by CLARENCE

I used to enjoy and look forward to the old Top Gear. I was prepared to give the new show a fair chance but I have to say that I have found it  tedious and lacking the sort of humour and "zip" that Jezzer and the lads gave it. I watched the most recent show for a few minutes but then started channel-hopping in an attempt to find something entertaining - a sure sign of boredom.

Some of you (in the discussion above) have expressed the opinion that the old show was past its best. I have some sympathy with that view but I think the new show a poor offering, not up to even the worst of the old.

RIP.

Chaz

"the sort of humour and "zip" that Jezzer and the lads gave it."

'not up to even the worst of the old."

Chaz

Succinctly put.

I'll admit to thinking the new series has improved but I think that sums it up for me Chaz.

Dirty secret time. I've eventually seen all the episodes so far, there's still some wonderful filming and direction on trip shoots. I think there are some stars in the equation and some who should simply not be there; I think the "blowing smoke up celebrities backsides" segment occupies far too much time.

It seems as though Joey is not a bad driver and he can emote whilst driving but, and it's a but that's really niggling me, I have not seen an in car shot of Chris Evans cornering hard or with a bit of lock; there's plenty of external shots if you know what I mean whereas I have seen internal shots of hard driving of the others. I may have missed them or if you spot one let me know. ;)

• Like 1

Dirty secret time. I've eventually seen all the episodes so far, there's still some wonderful filming and direction on trip shoots. I think there are some stars in the equation and some who should simply not be there; I think the "blowing smoke up celebrities backsides" segment occupies far too much time.

It seems as though Joey is not a bad driver and he can emote whilst driving but, and it's a but that's really niggling me, I have not seen an in car shot of Chris Evans cornering hard or with a bit of lock; there's plenty of external shots if you know what I mean whereas I have seen internal shots of hard driving of the others. I may have missed them or if you spot one let me know. ;)

It did occur to me that maybe Evans' opinion of his driving ability is a wee bit bigger than his "actual" driving ability. If true, that would not cast him out of type at all.

Get rid of Evans and I will try again

Joey is reported to agree with you.

Basically, the show can be fixed. We need more Chris Harris and Rory Reid. Then replace the "star in the whatever" with "Star driving a very heavy car over Chris Evan's face".  Audience figures up. Job done.

It's a real pity that Evans is not a 'driver' considering he owns seven Ferraris, most of them being derived from full on racing cars. He only seems to want to paint them white and polish them occasionally... if I were lucky enough to be in his position I would drive them all at any given opportunity, whatever their perceived value. Old Enzo must be spinning in his grave.

Edited by Rugd1022

As the series draws to a close,......along with CE's leadership I hear on the grapevine, decisions have already been taken at the top level to continue, but with a new team.....fill in your choices! CE may remain in some form to see out his contractual agreement, but the Beeb is furious at the ratings.

It should also be added that Clarkson et al are not exacting having a fun time with Amazon as well, budget restrictions are really hitting plans, and that is from a friend working with a production unit filming for them.

The studio sound quality of the new Top Gear has remained consistently poor through every episode so far and needs fixing - sounds distant and remote. I agree CE has injected nothing though Matt LeBlanc is a welcome surprise. Any "car" show that depends on the Tiff Needel format of judging cars as good only if they can be made to progress sideways is doomed - it's just irrelevant. And that short fat cockney who can't speak English properly and sponsors car bodging is low rent.

Only two US shows are genuinely entertaining - Chasing Classic Cars, and Fast n Loud. A Brit equivalent of either would be better than an attempt of a rehash of the Real Top Gear which has frankly had its day.

The studio sound quality of the new Top Gear has remained consistently poor through every episode so far and needs fixing - sounds distant and remote. I agree CE has injected nothing though Matt LeBlanc is a welcome surprise. Any "car" show that depends on the Tiff Needel format of judging cars as good only if they can be made to progress sideways is doomed - it's just irrelevant. And that short fat cockney who can't speak English properly and sponsors car bodging is low rent.

Only two US shows are genuinely entertaining - Chasing Classic Cars, and Fast n Loud. A Brit equivalent of either would be better than an attempt of a rehash of the Real Top Gear which has frankly had its day.

Both the shows you mention are good, for very different reasons. I doubt the Fast N Loud format could work here, we just don't  have the customisation market like they do over there, or the funds for someone to produce it probably. Chasing Classic Cars could work i guess, but again doubt there'd be the interest to stump the money as classic cars restored to such conditions are very expensive.

I've seen a couple of Chasing Classic Cars and been amazed how dull a show can be made from a potentially interesting subject.

Much prefer "Wheeler Dealers" or "Car SOS". Yes, both have an anoying co-presenter but there's loads of proper spannering action from people who know that they are doing.

It should also be added that Clarkson et al are not exacting having a fun time with Amazon as well, budget restrictions are really hitting plans, and that is from a friend working with a production unit filming for them.

I hope they don't ask him to get a sandwich for JC.,

Ed