The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Top Gear?

'CHARD

I quite enjoyed the pointlessness of the squabbling between Clarkson, thingy Hammond and May, and when they got ditched for the rotating presenters I gave up watching. The current blokes seem quite uninteresting and now its been transferred to BBC1 it has the air of quiet desperation.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I quite enjoyed the pointlessness of the squabbling between Clarkson, thingy Hammond and May, and when they got ditched for the rotating presenters I gave up watching. The current blokes seem quite uninteresting and now its been transferred to BBC1 it has the air of quiet desperation.

I have given up altogether on watching Top Gear. If what they show on the constantly repeated trailers for the programme is in any way typical of the content, it is small wonder that people are questioning whether the licence fee is well spent.

14 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I have given up altogether on watching Top Gear. If what they show on the constantly repeated trailers for the programme is in any way typical of the content, it is small wonder that people are questioning whether the licence fee is well spent.

If it stops being a cash cow for the BBC in terms of overseas sales then it would be questionable.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I enjoyed the Clarkson era Top Gear at first but as time went on I felt it became more and more tedious. Whilst I enjoyed the fooling around and the wanton destruction amusing I found the chortling at the performance of the latest hyper-car on test grating.  However what really turned me off was the barely veiled racism and the rubbishing of those who might hold alternative views.

I far prefer the current line up as the foolishness is there but it's done for the fun it engenders rather than with an agenda of disdain or disparagement.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Hmm Top Gear

A few things

Firstly Clarkson the motoring show presenter is a character, in fact all 3 are, they are heavily exaggerated versions of themselves.

Secondly Chris Harris is by far and away the best presenter now of TG.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, MJI said:

Secondly Chris Harris is by far and away the best presenter now of TG.

I totally agree with the other idiots need to be removed as they are twats like "Clarkson." I just wish that they would cover more importaint news in the motoring world. 

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Trainshed Terry said:

I totally agree with the other idiots need to be removed as they are twats like "Clarkson." I just wish that they would cover more importaint news in the motoring world. 

The mistake is thinking that it's a motoring news program, back in the day of Chris Goffey it probably was but today it's light entertainment. If it were motoring news it would probably end up on BBC Four along with all the other (usually excellent) documentaries.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

It’s all just a bit of light entertainment. The lads clearly have a laff making the programme and I find it quite amusing. These three have got a good rapport and are nicer personas than Clarkson et al. Favourite part so far is when the whole back axle fell out of Paddy’s car in South America.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

As it was mostly recorded a few months back, there's no way it's news.

Any TV program that reviewed a car in the way that the usual motoring press does, would have me immediately reaching for the off button. I'd rather watch a model train unboxing video on Youtube............................

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

James May is a pretty decent presenter. His 'cars of the people' series comes across pretty well.  As far as Top Gear is concerned, what/where is the target audience? Is it a BMW M5, or a Hornby Princess Elizabeth? 

This forum, although broad-based & pretty broad-minded, is, I'd suggest, right of centre. Our age is, by & large, a slightly aging group. We might like to be considered within the target area for TG, but I think not. The BBC is always looking for the common denominator. It stopped being an 'education for the nation' when certain politicians realised that TV is a very effective way of controlling the population.

There are, sad to say, lots of parallels between the last days of the Roman Empire and today.  Pandering to the masses is what TG is all about.       

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

The BBC is always looking for the common denominator. It stopped being an 'education for the nation' when certain politicians realised that TV is a very effective way of controlling the population.       

On the basis of your conclusions, what is the justification for the licence fee?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Pandering to the masses is what TG is all about.       

TG is entertainment.

(OK - in some people's eyes it might not be, but what may entertain one person, doesn't necessarily entertain someone else)

Entertainment programs for TV pander to the masses.

TG does what it says on the tin.

• Agree 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Entertainment programs for TV pander to the masses.

I'm sure Points of View would have had something to say all those years ago about Angela Rippon climbing through the car window trying to conceal where she'd had a 'mishap'. We didn't know then what we actually wanted. ;)

Bring back Wheelbase!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I like the new Top Gear, the three presenters seem to have a genuine chemistry and have taken the show to a level that seems to be working, and for once the BBC were right to not put up with Clarkson's tantrums.  Chris Evans was a mistake, and to be fair, I suspect he felt he was a mistake, was never quite convinced with Matt le Blanc, although as a holding operation whilst the producers searched for a new team, was competent, but the new presenting team for my money (and I was never a real fan of the Clarkson/May/Hammond triumvirate) is funny, and fun.  Escapist telly centred around motor cars.

The bizarre thing is James May and Jeremy Clarkson on their own are very engaging presenters.  I recently watched Clarkson hosting Who Wants to be a Millionaire expecting to switch off after five minutes but he was surprisingly good, and he's presented some good documentaries which are still available on iPlayer.  James May has done some good stuff and clearly has an enthusiasm.  However, the three of them together makes my teeth itch.  So I prefer the new presenting team.

And despite being a Prime subscriber (for delivery reasons, not the frankly woeful telly streaming service) I haven't watched a single episode of "The Grand Tour" or whatever it's called.

• Like 2

Yep top gear is now entertainment for the masses, there probably is room for an school more foused offering. As for the grand tour, the programmes are far too long and too self indulgent a shame really as the trio are capable presenters in their own right.

• 2 weeks later...