Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ive been concentrating on the fiddle yard over the last couple of days.

My intention is to have two boards in an L configuration. this will offer maximum use of space and will also provide a modicum of security at shows.

One is already built and I have wired up the droppers to the bus bar and have tested it, resulting in zero shorts. Excellent.

As with everything I do I try and keep it simple and I must admit even though its only two wires, I thoroughly enjoy the process of trimming cutting, splicing and soldering and I think its therapeutic.

However its quite frustrating when the cat decides to investigate the upturned baseboard and is definitely not happy when told to do one! (He then sits as close as he can without being actually on the board, giving me death stares.) Cheers.

Anyhoo, I digress

Next up is the acquisition of tree wood and the formation of the next fiddle yard board that will form the second half of the "L" at 90 degrees to the main layout. Oh and track too.

Heres a quite dull shot of my rather dubious wiring skills:

post-7156-0-50209000-1517387912_thumb.jpg

Ive also been graffiti-ing some of my stock. Some things have turned out better than others. Here is a Bachmann RES BG with a cheeky cat face that Ive done which is based on a photo I took of a similar BG 94462 at Crewe in 2012.

My rendition:

post-7156-0-75703400-1517387558_thumb.jpg

Real BG:

post-7156-0-68556000-1517387433_thumb.jpg

Im fairly pleased with the result, but on reflection my silver pen had a nib that was waaay too thick. I tried trimming it before hand with a Stanley blade, but need something finer still, I imagine something around a 0.5....

Thanks for looking

Trev :)

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Ive seriously lost my mojo!

Ive been working really silly hours and by the time I get home I just CBA!

Does anyone else get like this?!

I really have to pull my finger out as I have a show coming up in October!

Just need that initial boost. :banghead:

I wouldn't worry about it, we all get like this.

My problem is, im more like this than not and sit viewing the internet for too many hours pondering about how good peoples layouts are!

I've followed this thread for some time and thoroughly enjoy updates when they appear. 

Go and pull out some stock and play around with it, that generally gets my interest going!

• RMweb Gold

I'm exactly the same Trev that's why I want to move my layout on and I've got to pick up those bits from your mum's as soon as I can but we've still got the builders here building the extension.

Cheers

Colin

I wouldn't worry about it, we all get like this.

My problem is, im more like this than not and sit viewing the internet for too many hours pondering about how good peoples layouts are!

I've followed this thread for some time and thoroughly enjoy updates when they appear. 

Go and pull out some stock and play around with it, that generally gets my interest going!

Glad to know its not just me!

Cheers

I'm exactly the same Trev that's why I want to move my layout on and I've got to pick up those bits from your mum's as soon as I can but we've still got the builders here building the extension.

Cheers

Colin

I know youve been busy with your building work going on mate!

Its still there, ready and waiting! :)

I feel exactly the same. I have waves of doing loads and then weeks go by when I either don't go in the room or we spend the whole time running Thomas!

The mojo always comes back!

Rich

Hi Rich,

I had an hour in the garage last night checking my tools, putting stuff in its right place etc.

I also gave the layout a clean as its under dust sheets at present.

This has given me a badly needed boost and now I have a plan :)

Cheers

• Like 1

I having a bit of a modelling lull too! Totally understand work getting in the way as it my challenge too.

It'll pass I'm sure.

Happy Modelling!

Will

Hi Will 

I think Im back on track now. (apologies for the awful pun! - groan!)  :banghead:

As I do all my modelling on my own and feel a bit isolated at times and the kind words of others give me a boost. Sorry if that sounds a bit cheesy...

The weekend is here and god willing Sunday has modelling stamped all over it! (any maybe a nice Sunday dinner and a beer later on!)

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Work has continued slowly but surely adding brass rod point mechanisms. That is fun. not!

I have learnt a truly valuable lesson....

Anyhoo this weekend consisted of tidying wiring under scenic board 1 and adding point mechanisms.

I also had a delivery of a superb BMA steel wagon with aluminium ingot load. Be rude not to add a picture! Thanks Colin!

The second pic shows a point that I replaced after damaging it. Lets not go there! Needless to say the air was blue, however after I had calmed down, it took about 15 mins to remove and replace and re-solder.

post-7156-0-47581300-1525071028_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-04610200-1525071044_thumb.jpg

Ive also recieved:

1 x Vitrains 47600 - possible candidate for a respray. I fancy a BR blue loco with bufferbeams, headlight and Tinsley hand painted name. Research time! 

1 x Bachman 37505 respray in RF metals

Both will receive the usual bufferbeam additions and sound chips. Its just finding the time!

Getting there slowly!

Cheers

Edited by big T
  • Like 4

Yeah. Modelling is like a marriage - sometimes I can’t be arsed.

Always returns, just don’t sell the stuff in the meantime !

Once I get back into it, its fine!

(Its those hard nightmarish tasks that do my head in!)

Ive been resisting putting some stuff on line Rob! Its really tough!

Great work trev mate glad you haven't sold up the models  i really like the BMA steel wagon with aluminium ingot load . a rake of these behind to heavy weight 37 with biffo sound would be just the bees knees pal .

Cheers matey.

Its a lovely model - I bought it recently. Its to a much better standard than I can do haha!!

Yea they would look awesome wouldnt they?! 

Id love ten or so, but my Mrs would kill me as that money should go towards my wedding fund!!

Cheers

Cheers matey.

Its a lovely model - I bought it recently. Its to a much better standard than I can do haha!!

Yea they would look awesome wouldnt they?! 

Id love ten or so, but my Mrs would kill me as that money should go towards my wedding fund!!

Cheers

we can but Dream, looks good mate thumbs up mate .

Over the past couple of days I've been concentrating on the point mechanisms.

Its a job that I was not looking forward to, and had been delaying.

I wish I had done this last year, but me being me wanted to get trains running and put it to one side for a rainy day. What a turnip!  :banghead:

Having already cut slots in the baseboards, all I had to do (!) was select a method of manual point control. (I had considered utilising a motorised option, but as the wedding is looming, wanted to keep costs down.)

I did a bit of investigation and several methods presented themselves.

I decided to use 3mm brass rod notched at the end to accept 1mm rod at 90 degrees that pushes up and through the baseboard, passing through the hole in the Peco point tie- bar.

The brass rod would run tight to the underside of the baseboard, held in place by pvc nail in type clips. (the middle scenic board is slightly different due to the fact that I cant hammer in the nail in clips as I've used Polyfilla for constructing my hardstanding around my shed building and I didn't want to risk cracking it - therefore I have removed the nails from the clips and hot glue gunned these into place. Hence the "No Nails" text on the board.)

The rod would penetrate the  edge of the baseboard through where the backboard meets the baseboard. I would add some kind of knob for grip. (no knob comments please!!  :lol:  :lol: :crazy:  )

Nice and simple really, or so I thought. 

As I'd already wire the droppers to the bus bar in my eternal quest for impatience, the point rodding would have to pass under the wiring. Sorted.

Some of the back to back points and double slips proved a bit trickier than the straightforward lengths, necessitating  angles, return bends and 90 degree strengtheners for rigidity.

I also had to teach myself to solder, my only real experience being track joints, PCB's and loco wiring harnesses.

Here are a few pictures of the above.

I have one scenic board to go as regards point control, then Im going to start the lighting and research into uncouplers as I need to install two below the boards. (any advice would be very welcome as to options!! :thankyou: )

The final image shows a typical point rod, this time in a 180 deg configuration via 2 x 90's. Its a bit Heath-Robinson, but I formed the angles using a slitting disc on my dremel and soldered them together using my helping hands.

Please don't be too critical - I know its not very neat and close-ups are cruel!!!  :O  :sarcastichand:  :this:

post-7156-0-95914000-1525243639_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-00428500-1525243657_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-71036900-1525243669_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-81483400-1525243738_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-64657300-1525244215_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-56020600-1525245186_thumb.jpg

post-7156-0-75794200-1525245198_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by big T
  • Like 3

Looks a pretty neat solution to me Trev - well done.

Re uncouplers. What couplings are you using? I'm using Bachmann TL's with a staple glued on parallel to the track and small (3mm dia.) magnets drilled in between the sleeper (then covered in ballast). You can drive over them and the TL's don't uncouple unless you take the tension off (reverse slightly). Works pretty well and is cheap. 

Cheers

Looks a pretty neat solution to me Trev - well done.

Re uncouplers. What couplings are you using? I'm using Bachmann TL's with a staple glued on parallel to the track and small (3mm dia.) magnets drilled in between the sleeper (then covered in ballast). You can drive over them and the TL's don't uncouple unless you take the tension off (reverse slightly). Works pretty well and is cheap. 

Cheers

Morning Sam! hope you are well mate

Thanks for your kind words. 

Im generally using Bachmann tension lock trypes but Im toying with going for Kadees on wagons, but the cost is a bit prohibitive presently.

What a good idea. I will investigate this thanks! 

Cheers

Thanks Trev - I'm well thanks - just seem to have very little time to do any modelling at the moment.

I considered Kadee's but like you, the cost put me off.

I stumbled upon the staple idea on here - search for the "Brian Kirby" method. I refined it slightly used the 3mm dia. by 10mm long magnets (from ebay) so they could be fitted from above and covered in ballast - a couple of photo's and a brief write up here

Cheers

Thanks Trev - I'm well thanks - just seem to have very little time to do any modelling at the moment.

I considered Kadee's but like you, the cost put me off.

I stumbled upon the staple idea on here - search for the "Brian Kirby" method. I refined it slightly used the 3mm dia. by 10mm long magnets (from ebay) so they could be fitted from above and covered in ballast - a couple of photo's and a brief write up here

Cheers

Good stuff - I know the feeling TBH. Im doing 12 hour days at work not including my commute, so by the time I get home I don't feel like doing anything after my dinner! 

Ill have a good look at that method - I like simple operation - less to go wrong!

Hi Trev, Nice work on the point rodding. Certainly cheaper than buying point motors.

As for uncoupling I use Kadee's and think they work pretty well. Agree the cost is a downside but I just bought  a packet here and there when I first started. I fitted a few loco's then on the end of wagon and coach rakes. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Trev, Nice work on the point rodding. Certainly cheaper than buying point motors.

As for uncoupling I use Kadee's and think they work pretty well. Agree the cost is a downside but I just bought  a packet here and there when I first started. I fitted a few loco's then on the end of wagon and coach rakes. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter!

Thank you, really appreciate the feedback. TBH its not pretty but it does the job (and like you say easier on the wallet haha!)

I'd love to go with Kadees, but Ive got about 300 wagons and 200 locos so Im not sure how much that would set me back - a few squid I imagine! :)

Good work.

I use something similar as I’ve always shed away from point motors on cost and complexity.

In my case I use brass rod in brass tube, but lay it in notches cut in the cork base.

• Like 1

Good work.

I use something similar as I’ve always shed away from point motors on cost and complexity.

In my case I use brass rod in brass tube, but lay it in notches cut in the cork base.

My last layout had DCC operated points, motors and decoders and tbh it was OK but nothing special!

I like simple stuff, plus as the layout can be operated between 1 and 3 people, it gives the ops something to do!

Another couple of hours routing, sanding, soldering, burning and cursing!

Like I've said before, I know its not pretty and my wiring is less than neat, but it works!

post-7156-0-39007700-1525330273_thumb.jpg

Cant wait till this is over! only 4 more points to do now then I can tidy up the wiring.

Edited by big T