Rail Ex TAUNTON 22nd & 23rd October 2016

peterw

Time to remind people that Rail Ex TAUNTON returns to Taunton School this year on 22nd & 23rd October 2016 (note that this is one week earlier that previously advertised). The event has been added to the 'Event Calendar' with a detailed list of provisional layouts and trade support. We are particularly pleased to have secured 'The Summit' as an exhibit which is an extremely large O gauge main line layout by the local Yeovil Group and recently featured in Railway Modeller magazine. We have also managed to secure the use of an additional small room this year to expand the show slightly.

If you have visited before you will be aware that there is ample parking at the venue, superb catering in the historic 'Private School' restaurant  including Sunday Roasts for approx. £6.50 and is a short walk/public bus ride from the train station.

If you are interested to find out more then all the details are available on the detailed website www.somersetrmc.org.uk/Rail-EX/index.html or like us on Facebook www.facebook.com/RAILEXTAUNTON or follow us on Twitter @RailEX25 for updates and news. 

post-21030-0-26517600-1465504899_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The website promoting Rail Ex Taunton 2016 is now back up and running. It was unfortunate that following the initial post on the forum the website 'disappeared!' due to an issue with web hosting which was out of our control.

Please accept our apologies if you tried the link and had no success. Hopefully there should be no further problems

• 2 months later...

Having received a provisional copy of the show guide today, it has reminded me that Rail Ex Taunton is fast approaching and it seems appropriate to up date people on the most recent changes. Three layouts have been added to the original list in the exhibition calendar - Sutton Park, Raymond Place & Oxthorne which are all N gauge. Two new traders will be joining this year - Attwood Aggregates & Weston Models.

We believe that we have assembled a high quality show that will prove value for money. In recent years the feedback received about the exhibits and show experience has been extremely positive but we are always looking for ways to improve the visitor experience hence the following modifications for the 2016 show,

• Enhanced directions page on website (http://www.somersetrmc.org.uk/Rail-EX/directions.html) which includes map for walking route from the railway station, three road maps for visitors arriving by car, bus timetable information for buses from railway station to venue.
  • Improved flow of visitors in entrance hall by the re location of trade stand into the sports hall
  • A third exhibition hall has been added this year.

If you are interested to find out more, all the details are available on the website www.somersetrmc.org.uk/Rail-EX/index.html

• 3 weeks later...

Only 25 days to go and every thing is in place for hopefully a good show. The food served in the restaurant is often a talking point at RAIL EX TAUNTON so I thought I would announce the proposed menu for the weekend so that some essential planning can be done. Try coming on the Sunday for two reasons - quieter, more relaxed day and try the Sunday roast!

Saturday Lunch 11.30 to 2.00 Likely cost £6.50
Lasagna
Chicken Korma & Rice
Steak & Kidney Pie
Battered Cod & Chips
Spinach & Ricotta Cannelloni

Apple Sponge & Custard £2.00

Sunday Lunch 11.30 to 2.00 Likely cost £6.50
Local Topside of Beef & Yorkshire Pudding
Roast Turkey & Cranberry Sauce
Roast Loin of Pork & Apple Sauce
Root Veg Curry & Rice

Apple & Apricot Crumble & Custard £2.00

All information can be found at www.somersetrmc.org.uk/Rail-EX/

• 3 weeks later...

Only one week to the show. Accommodation bill paid, show guides returned from printers, exhibitors/traders arrival info sent. We hope you will enjoy the larger show this year. If you do not like crowds we recommend that the Sunday is the best day with the bonus of a potential Sunday lunch as well.

A reminder that Rail Ex Taunton is this weekend (22nd/23rd Oct) at Taunton School. We feel we have assembled a good selection of layouts and trade to provide value for money. The entry fee has remained unchanged for 4 or 5 years at £6.50 Adult £5.50 Senior (65+) £3.50 Child (5-16) Family £15.00 Child (under 5) Free.

Here are a couple of pictures of two of the delights that await,

Sutton Park (N gauge) and the highly impressive Summit in O gauge.

post-21030-0-78637200-1476987326_thumb.jpg

post-21030-0-83104500-1476987402.jpg

The Morfa Mawr operators' stools have now arrived in Taunton.

I hope the layout will follow on the van tomorrow.

Geoff Endacott

I'm travelling down to Cornwall and popping in to the show, so looks forward to seeing this slice of West Wales again. Last time was at Trainwest about 5 years ago.

• RMweb Gold

I didn't think I would make it there at all, but a last minute negotiation saw me & Nathan dispatched up the M5 for a few hours wander around :)

As usual, Nate didn't want to spend too long at the layouts that I wanted a close look at, but I'm glad we managed to get there. Apologies to Richard & Graham for not being able to stay & chat due to being pulled along by Nate!

"The Summit" is a beast of a layout, taking the 'watching the trains go by' theme to an ultimate level. The depth of scenery is massive, it's possible to get photos with a full foreground & background of scenery and no edges in site; very impressive. "Vale of Oxbury" is a wide scene in N gauge, again getting the 'train in the landscape' to good effect.

I liked "Morfa Mawr" for it's overall consistent appearance and the blue diesels! "Croyden North Road" also had lots of atmosphere, including the automated station announcements, although they might grate a bit on the surrounding exhibitors...

Thanks to the owner of "Westwood Yard" for letting us have a got on the Inglenook puzzle - very enjoyable using the Kadees.

I did take photos, but not sure whether to go to the effort of resizing for here as we're out tonight to see Adam Hills for my birthday :D

The main hall was its usual gloomy self because the lighting in there is far from ideal, but the selection of layouts was good. 'The Summit' was a colossal beast that simply demanded attention. The Vale of Oxbury was wonderful, although it was right near the exit so if you stood to watch it for too long you'd get in someone's way. Got to mention Hobbiton End - always a crowd of fascinated onlookers there, and Sydney Gardens was very attractive and detailed. Loved the house above the railway.

• RMweb Premium

Thoroughly enjoyed myself over the weekend. Thanks again to Steve Pike and the Somerset MRC for inviting Sutton Park and of course myself to the show. When I found a little time to have a wonder around on my lunch break, I was very impressed with the layouts also supporting trade. Overall an excellent show guys.  

Cheers, Anthony  

The 2016 Rail Ex Taunton show review has been added to the website this evening and can be viewed at http://www.somersetrmc.org.uk/Rail-EX/Review.htm and includes details of cup winners, pictures, links to video footage of the show and also a link to the radio broadcast about the show.

In short, the show was a huge success with visitor numbers the same as the record set last year (in fact one person less!). Feedback was overwhelmingly positive and people seemed very satisfied with their experience. There are always a few useful comments regarding areas for improvements and we will try and take these forward to next year. Provisional dates are October 21st and 22nd 2017. Thanks to all those who exhibited and visited, hope to see you next year.

• RMweb Gold

So you are bringing the show forward from its usual fourth weekend in October to the third?

That would be a real shame if so as it would then clash with both Uckfield and Cardiff. I normally go to Taunton every year as either an exhibitor or visitor (was there with Sydney Gardens this year and previously with both Highbury and Tucking Mill)  but also exhibit regularly at the other two - we are at Cardiff in 2017 and Uckfield again in 2018. I realise that avoiding a clash is difficult with a busy diary but I do hope you will reconsider the dates if possible.

Jerry

The 2016 Rail Ex Taunton show review has been added to the website this evening and can be viewed at http://www.somersetrmc.org.uk/Rail-EX/Review.htm and includes details of cup winners, pictures, links to video footage of the show and also a link to the radio broadcast about the show.

There doesn't seem to be anything on the page that link takes me to.

G.

In short, the show was a huge success with visitor numbers the same as the record set last year (in fact one person less!).

I know that person. He was on call over the weekend so he couldn't make it. We're going to send him photos of the best layouts to make him feel bad about it.

Great show as always. See you next year.

So you are bringing the show forward from its usual fourth weekend in October to the third?

The Rail Ex 2016 Review page of the website has been modified to include smaller photo files which may solve any issues with viewing http://www.somersetrmc.org.uk/Rail-EX/Review.htm .

As we use a private school as a venue for the show we are restricted by the autumn half term dates set by the school as they require us to use the first weekend of the autumn half term. The Somerset term dates for 2017/18 have been set and the first weekend is 21/22 October 2017. As a private school they can set their own dates but historically they follow the lead of Somerset LEA but Taunton School will confirm dates at Christmas hence they are advertised as provisional. We also try to avoid a clash with the Weymouth show which happens on the last weekend of the Dorset LEA half term and is set for the weekend after our show in 2017.

Archived