Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Are we at a crossroads?

I am always at a crossroads. How much time can I spend in the workshop, which kit to start next, which is the best paint to use in the bow pen for lining LNWR coaches (Humbrol always used to be best, but not anymore), what glue should I use to attach those boiler fittings (has anyone else noticed that cyano doesn't seem as "good" as it used to be?), etc.

It is all about moving on and "adapting". Not always fun when the status quo changes in a way we don't want, but we are often stuck with it. Those of us that make models have had to continually do that, as kit manufacturers come and go, techniques change, etc.

All paints have changed due to a EU Directive and water based paints are now the norm. This new recipe is really not suitable for lining with a bow pen as the old spirit based paint was. I also had a lot of difficulty spraying it when it first appeared. I am not sure what paint to use as an alternative for lining as this is a world wide problem now with many paint manufacturers going over to water based paints. Have you checked out the military modeling sites to see if there are any suppliers of paint that are recommended?

As for using cyno for bonding large items to a model, not good and I always use the good old 24 hr epoxy. Cyno works on the basis of excluding all the air from the joint for it to start to work. As with many bonded joints the two items have to be really clean for a successful bond to be made.

All my old white metal loco kits I built in the early 70's were assembled with 24 hr epoxy (had not mastered the art of low melt solder) and are still holding together today. If anything the finer items would break before the joint gave way.

Loconuts

Cyano has a shelf-life, maybe it's just time to buy a new bottle.....

Bill,

it's a topic that crops up regularly with some fellow modellers.  Several hold a view that H&S has made "retail" adhesives less "dangerous" and therefore less effective. Given their background experience and careers, I wouldn't argue that.

In my experience cyano reaches the end of it's shelf  quite quickly despite following the storage instructions. I doubt that I've ever used more than half a bottle before binning it.

Jol

Some loctite containers are assured a short life due to the cap welding itself onto the 'bottle'. I throw the cap away and plug the hole with a piece of bent brass wire instead. The down side is the occasional burst of fluid when the wire is withdrawn especially when it goes down the trousers.

Cellulose definitely isn't what it used to be, but it still does a decent job except when matting agent is added to black then it dries motley.  Humbrol enamel is variable simply because a retailer might carry bad stock. I've had a tin that was all thinners but no coloured putty at the bottom to stir. I've had red that was maroonish brown. I've had 85 black that wouldn't dry. Still, after trying Phoenix-Precision enamel, I still use Humbrol for lining out but buy only one tin at a time in case it's dodgy.

All paints have changed due to a EU Directive

But for how long!?!

Feet, inches, pounds, climate destroying solders and paints.  The possibilities are endless.

A pity about the import duties that will mean we won't be able to afford them!

Mind you, Northern Cyprus might be open to a free trade deal.  Good if you like olives, may be?

Archived