Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Grindleford Station Hope Valley Line 1960s BR - Station Café build

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Are you planning to mass produce these?

I hope so as I'll have one.

Nope, sorry, strictly one off (I could never get it to look right twice) :D

Btw, you're welcome to mention curtains on here, should you feel the urge...

:jester:

Al.

Nope, sorry, strictly one off (I could never get it to look right twice) :D

Btw, you're welcome to mention curtains on here, should you feel the urge...

:jester:

Al.

Before you join it all together you could make some moulds to produce plaster or resin casings - a lot of effort though: but you could just sell the moulds!!!

(The buyer would have to provide their own window frames and curtains etc ;-)

Edit: why didn't the humorous 'smiley face thing' appear?

Edited by sp1

• RMweb Gold

Edit: why didn't the humorous 'smiley face thing' appear?

Ah, coding error...

You put an open bracket, but no closing one except after the winking bit...

:D

I don't think the forum software likes proper old fashioned emojis with a nose, you put ; - ) but the forum only accepts ; )

Al

Ah, coding error...

You put an open bracket, but no closing one except after the winking bit...

:D

I don't think the forum software likes proper old fashioned emojis with a nose, you put ; - ) but the forum only accepts ; )

Al

Ah..,..I see...so much for my attempt at humour...

Cottages look great, by the way

And I love that sweeping view through the platforms

• RMweb Gold

Ah..,..I see...so much for my attempt at humour...

Cottages look great, by the way

And I love that sweeping view through the platforms

Thanks mate, it's getting there.

After the Café I'll be moving on to the next board - one with points on it :O

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I really love watching you produce your buildings. You achieve so much in so little time too!

I've still got the shells of a row of cottages I was making 2 years ago...

Ah, but you have built quite a lot of Dover Priory in between then and now...

Al.

• RMweb Gold

So it's not just me that rips stuff back up then Al?  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Those cottages look the business mate and I'm loving the cafe progress......it's made me want to rebuild my bridge.......but then I suppose I'd better finish everything else first otherwise it's not going to be ready for October!

I bought some teddy bear fur for my grass but I'm not convinced about it - I might have a look at the basket liner idea because I've got quite a bit of grassing to do around the tunnel end.

Keep up the good work mate  :good:

• RMweb Gold

So it's not just me that rips stuff back up then Al?  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Those cottages look the business mate and I'm loving the cafe progress......it's made me want to rebuild my bridge.......but then I suppose I'd better finish everything else first otherwise it's not going to be ready for October!

I bought some teddy bear fur for my grass but I'm not convinced about it - I might have a look at the basket liner idea because I've got quite a bit of grassing to do around the tunnel end.

Keep up the good work mate  :good:

I think we all do it at some stage - if it isn't right then It's got to go!

Never used Teddy-bear fur, although I've seen it used by Nile to great effect some time ago on one of his threads.

Thanks a lot mate,

Al.

• Like 1

I saw the effect that Al has achieved here on his layout and that inspired me to try hanging basket liner.  Fantastic stuff, very economical and easy to use.  Allows for a variable length of grass depending on how short you trim it and can be brushed aligned once glued and dry.

Do shop around though and look out for the stuff that has a good mix of greens in it and is Coco/Coconut/Coir fibre based and not Jute sort as this is too think and wiry.  See my first trial efforts here. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106602-family-8x4-oo-layout-hanging-basket-liner-grass/?p=2517638

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So, I haven't dropped off the planet, or anything, just been a bit busy with various non-modelling tasks.

I took my daughter clothes shopping to the Meadowhall shopping centre on Saturday, which entailed me acting as a sort of combined porter and mobile clothes horse, traipsing from shop to shop with an ever lighter bank account and an ever increasing collection of bags, and standing for what felt like hours outside the changing rooms while important decisions were made....

Have you noticed how they seem to put the changing rooms next to the underwear displays in these shops, just to embarrass the father / spouse / other male relative who has to stand there...

And then when that was all over, I had to prepare for a neighbourhood party on Saturday evening - a tradition we have every year where the households of our road all meet up to have a "thank-god-christmas-and-new-year-are-over" party, the object of which is to "use up leftovers". Curiously, this "use up leftovers" party requires a hell of a lot of cooking, baking and so on to prepare for it! This year I made a gallon of soup, and, because that didn't seem like much, cooked a pile of BBQ chicken legs as well.

The party was a success, but obviously no modelling was done that night, or this morning :)

Anyway, enough rambling.

This evening, I finished adding the stonework detail round the building,

post-17302-0-97956200-1483916378_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-81664200-1483916380_thumb.jpg

and then gave it a base coat of Tan, and the timber uprights were painted matt black.

post-17302-0-56513200-1483916382_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-33224000-1483916384_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-34934700-1483916386_thumb.jpg

I then cut out all the shiplap timber cladding to size.

post-17302-0-84103400-1483916388_thumb.jpg

The window and door apertures will be measured and cut into the cladding, and then transferred to the basic shell afterwards. The cladding will be sprayed white, as per the prototype, before fitting to the building, so will probably be the last bit added.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 2

Excellent work mate, you make it look so easy, I tried building a bit more of my Metcalfe Viaduct this evening and when I came indoors I had a bit of Brickwork stuck to my fingers with UHU, hahha. :no:  :no:

Really good neat job.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work mate, you make it look so easy, I tried building a bit more of my Metcalfe Viaduct this evening and when I came indoors I had a bit of Brickwork stuck to my fingers with UHU, hahha. :no:  :no:

Really good neat job.

Thanks mate, I always wince a bit when I look at the close-up photos as I see (what seem to me) big gaping holes where stuff doesn't join up properly, but the overall effect looks OK.

I don't need to be all that neat about the painting I've done so far, either, as the shiplap will cover up the bits where I've overpainted.

Looking forward to seeing your viaduct though, it will work great.

Al.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The Station Cafe is looking superb mate. Having visited the real one and seen it in the flesh you've got it down to a tee. Or should that be down to a TEA!!  :jester:

Cant wait to see this finished as its such a charismatic little building.

Cheers

Marcus

Cheers mate.

It's just a shame I didn't leave quite enough room on the boards for the full building, so it's going to have to be 3/4 relief.

Al

Cheers mate.

It's just a shame I didn't leave quite enough room on the boards for the full building, so it's going to have to be 3/4 relief.

Al

If It was me, I'd have nailed another section of board on, just to accommodate the building ;)