Grindleford Station Hope Valley Line 1960s BR - Station Café build

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

I'll be honest I started reading this post and spotted the "orange box" speaker and thought to myself "Al why didn't you try an iphone speaker", I then scrolled further down and spotted you had taken the leap, the results speak for themselves and as you've found they really are a godsend, cheap and slim they are spot on for model railway use.

P.S Great work on the cottages above, you manipulate plasticard like an artist.

Thanks Simon, and many thanks for the heads-up about the iPhone speaker, they really are very good.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been busy most of the day, so not much modelling going on, but I thought I'd show you this:

You saw before that I'd used the silhouette cutter to cut out the bits for the windows and doors for the terrace.

Here are the layers which go to make up each:

A closed window uses two layers:

post-17302-0-59809600-1482021658_thumb.jpg

and a panelled door uses three:

post-17302-0-61384100-1482021661_thumb.jpg

And here they are assembled:

post-17302-0-92857000-1482021664_thumb.jpg

A test fit in the building, first a downstairs window:

post-17302-0-22574100-1482021667_thumb.jpg

and a door:

post-17302-0-54474400-1482021669_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-38903100-1482021672_thumb.jpg

The upper large window demonstrates one I have modelled with the upper and lower sash open:

post-17302-0-69285100-1482021674_thumb.jpg

The upper small window demonstrates that I measured it wrong :) and I will have to recut these.

Thankfully, I measured correctly for these next bits:

post-17302-0-10023000-1482021677_thumb.jpg

These, when laminated together, will connect to a standard NEM pocket at one end:

post-17302-0-99743500-1482021678_thumb.jpg

and the other end will have a screw hole.

post-17302-0-69461600-1482021681_thumb.jpg

This is what I hope will join my two Class 20s together.

That's all for now,

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

You know Al, rereading your posts, there really is nothing like a pair of 20s. I remember them distinctly when I was a kid - always in pairs, and always at the head of a very long trip train. For me they were the most distinctive loco coming into Skeg each summer. Even though I've set my layout in the fairly distant past, I still have a pair of 20s and a rake of blue and grey coaches at the ready.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You know Al, rereading your posts, there really is nothing like a pair of 20s. I remember them distinctly when I was a kid - always in pairs, and always at the head of a very long trip train. For me they were the most distinctive loco coming into Skeg each summer. Even though I've set my layout in the fairly distant past, I still have a pair of 20s and a rake of blue and grey coaches at the ready.

Yeah, It's something I remember seeing quite regularly as well, and of course Marcus37 drives them like that even now.

By the way, I was most disappointed that nobody took the bait when I posted this yesterday... :D

I should explain that prototype Class 20s are rarely seen out on their own, they have to go everywhere in pairs, as they are frightened of the big engines...

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 1

Excellent work on the Windows Al, but if it were me, (which thank goodness your NOT :sungum: ) I would just take some Tin Snips and cut a bit out of the side of the frames on that small window to make it fit, :O  go on, no one will notice from 3ft away mate. :nono:

I just wish I had half your patience mate, just brilliant.  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive: :locomotive:  :locomotive:  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work on the Windows Al, but if it were me, (which thank goodness your NOT :sungum: ) I would just take some Tin Snips and cut a bit out of the side of the frames on that small window to make it fit, :O  go on, no one will notice from 3ft away mate. :nono:

I just wish I had half your patience mate, just brilliant.  :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive: :locomotive:  :locomotive:  

I'll let you into a secret, Andy, in the best traditions of Bodgit I chopped half a mil off each side, and cut off the bottom rail, and it STILL didn't fit! :scratchhead: :O

Thanks a lot mate,

Al.

• Like 1

Hello Al,

I have said it before but will say it again, your modelmaking is very organic and fluid so that everything you build appears to have been crafted from available raw materials which is exactly how the real thing was built. The buildings appear to have grown out of the landscape so the whole scene becomes very believable and convincing, truly excellent work.

The cottages are looking great and you have the colouring of the stone spot on, there is just one thing that I feel I must point out and that is the driver in the Class 108 DMU looks like he is standing up, he needs a bit more cutting off his lower body to appear seated, although that would involve removing the body of the DMU and we know thats a pain!

When I was a child we had regular jaunts into the Peak District on summer weekends, I remember one walk being rained off and we all ran down to the platform shelter at Grindleford to await the next train to Sheffield. Inside the waiting room the porter had lit a welcoming fire and I remember watching the steam rise from everybodys sopping wet clothing as we basked in the warmth occasionally rubbing the steamed up windows to peer out.

Sorry got all dreamy and nostalgic there, anyway brilliant work mate.

Regards,

Geoff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Al,

I have said it before but will say it again, your modelmaking is very organic and fluid so that everything you build appears to have been crafted from available raw materials which is exactly how the real thing was built. The buildings appear to have grown out of the landscape so the whole scene becomes very believable and convincing, truly excellent work.

The cottages are looking great and you have the colouring of the stone spot on, there is just one thing that I feel I must point out and that is the driver in the Class 108 DMU looks like he is standing up, he needs a bit more cutting off his lower body to appear seated, although that would involve removing the body of the DMU and we know thats a pain!

When I was a child we had regular jaunts into the Peak District on summer weekends, I remember one walk being rained off and we all ran down to the platform shelter at Grindleford to await the next train to Sheffield. Inside the waiting room the porter had lit a welcoming fire and I remember watching the steam rise from everybodys sopping wet clothing as we basked in the warmth occasionally rubbing the steamed up windows to peer out.

Sorry got all dreamy and nostalgic there, anyway brilliant work mate.

Regards,

Geoff

Hi Geoff, thank you very much for your comments.

It's great when people post their reminiscences, as it shows that what I've modelled is accurate enough to bring back a scene to someone's mind.

I agree entirely about the DMU driver, I must pluck up the courage to dismantle the 108 again at some point and cut him down to size...

However, in the meantime, he is of course a well known figure, "Lofty" Tomlinson, the 6 foot 4 driver from Heaton Mersey... :D

Thanks very much,

Al.

• Like 3

Great work, Al. I've looked at the thread fairly late and I've just had a long look through it, very impressive - particularly the signalbox interior (I know that was ages back). When I worked shifts I used to travel along the Hope Valley line a lit and always looked forward to the DMU rattling out of Totley Tunnel putting Sheffield behind me and letting the Peak District open up in front.

Good luck with the continuing work, and on the Land Rover - mine is only 31 years old, but I love transporting the layouts to exhibitions in it.

Cheers,
Ben.

• Like 1

I'll let you into a secret, Andy, in the best traditions of Bodgit I chopped half a mil off each side, and cut off the bottom rail, and it STILL didn't fit! :scratchhead: :O

Thanks a lot mate,

Al.

What you need is some PROPPER Bodgit lessons mate, learn from the Master Bodger and you wont go far wrong.

I've already started Bodging again with BV, hahhah

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Hi Al

Just arrived back home from Bakewell. Was great to come up and see you and Courtney and we had a very pleasant evening.

Good to see Grindleford in the flesh. Looks a lot bigger in real life. Anthony was definitely impressed with the sound chipped DMU.

Thank you very much for dinner and look forward to returning the compliment when you come down to Bearwood for a visit.

You and Courtney have a great Christmas and see you soon.

All the best

Marcus.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al

Just arrived back home from Bakewell. Was great to come up and see you and Courtney and we had a very pleasant evening.

Good to see Grindleford in the flesh. Looks a lot bigger in real life. Anthony was definitely impressed with the sound chipped DMU.

Thank you very much for dinner and look forward to returning the compliment when you come down to Bearwood for a visit.

You and Courtney have a great Christmas and see you soon.

All the best

Marcus.

Hi Marcus,

It was great to see you and the family, and I'm really glad you enjoyed yourselves, Courtney and I certainly did. How was your trip to Castleton?

I'm afraid Anthony may be asking Santa for a DMU sound chip, sorry about that. :)

We'll definitely arrange a trip down for the New Year, but in the meantime have a great Christmas.

Cheers,

Al.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A couple of things to show you tonight.

First, I don't believe I've shown you any photos of the terraced cottages in position on the layout, so here they are:

post-17302-0-39188500-1482271399_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-64362700-1482271401_thumb.jpg

However, seeig them like that, I feel that the landscaping looks wrong, they shouldn't be perched on a hill as they seem to be, so some major earthworks will be on the cards, I think, to lower the ground level they are sitting on.

Secondly, whilst Marcus37 was visiting on Sunday we were discussing the sorts of trains that would be seen running through Grindleford, and I mentioned that Marcus had a rake of HIA bogie hoppers from Dapol, which I liked the look of, but that when I'd looked, Dapol, Hattons and various other emporia had sold out, as they are obviously much in demand.

Anyway, on Monday, during my dinner-time, I had a browse round the T'internet, and found that Kernow Model Centre had a good stock of all of them, so in a rash move, I ordered one of each! :O

I ordered them at about 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon, and they arrived on my doorstep at 2:30 this afternoon! That's pretty impressive!

And here they are:

post-17302-0-63276700-1482271403_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-71829900-1482271405_thumb.jpg

They are pretty impressive themselves, a superb model, each come with a full set of pipes and tubes, and a tail-light as well.

You can see more of them here:

Thanks for looking,

Al.

Edited by acg_mr
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Al,

On the first photo I was thinking how well they blended in with the back scene- your cellar!  ;)   You are right though about being stuck on top of a hill.  Your problem is that you have a Peak behind them in real life so you might need some sort of backscene which will dominate the view, but that might make operating difficult.  I will not suggest that you redo them in 3mm to give depth and less height in front of a backscene. 

It is how you get the towering presence of that Peak that will make the effect you want. 

Sorry, not a lot of help so one last comment, ever thought of modelling East Anglia?  :jester:

• Like 1

The house on the hill thing - I think it's that you come out of the door onto a ski-jump of a slope. The real things are higher than the railway but set further back... don't know what you can do about it in the limited space.

They look "just right" for colour etc, so it would be a shame to lose them

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Al,

On the first photo I was thinking how well they blended in with the back scene- your cellar!  ;)   You are right though about being stuck on top of a hill.  Your problem is that you have a Peak behind them in real life so you might need some sort of backscene which will dominate the view, but that might make operating difficult.  I will not suggest that you redo them in 3mm to give depth and less height in front of a backscene. 

It is how you get the towering presence of that Peak that will make the effect you want. 

Sorry, not a lot of help so one last comment, ever thought of modelling East Anglia?  :jester:

Hi Chris, thanks for your comments, they are always welcome. The terraces are actually at the back of the layout, and I was planning to operate it (or the scenic section at any rate) from the front, so I was already thinking in terms of a towering backscene with lots of trees on it.

The problem is more as eastwestdivide describes it, the "ski-slope" effect in front of them.

The house on the hill thing - I think it's that you come out of the door onto a ski-jump of a slope. The real things are higher than the railway but set further back... don't know what you can do about it in the limited space.

They look "just right" for colour etc, so it would be a shame to lose them

Never fear, I'm not planning on ditching them.

I've been looking at photographs and video taken of that area, and although, as you say, the real thing is further away from the track than my board depth permits, I think I can remedy the ski-slope effect by lowering where they sit slightly, and raising the land from platform height to house height at a much more gentle angle. This will also transfer across to the third board with all the sidings on, as there is a definite embankment at the back of the sidings.

Many thanks to you both for your thoughts.

Al.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've used Delphi since V1 and Pascal / Turbo Pascal before that.

I'd use a Boolean for DebugOn / Off - proceduces far faster code :nono:  :mosking:

You know what, you're right. The debug flag is read from an Ini file, and I'd completely forgotton you can ReadBool / WriteBool, I was casting it as a string, which is daft.

Cheers Dave, consider me told off! :D

PS, I started on TurboPascal as well, but I appear to have forgotten it!

Al.

I must admit you flummoxed (an excellent word BTW) me there Dave. Produces, procedure, pedicure?!

Sorry Al, as you were.

C6T.

Plus one for flummoxed, a sadly under-used word!

:D

Al.

• Like 1