Warrington Bank Quay - The Northern Approach - OO DCC

Wild Boar Fell

I live in Newton-le-Willows so Warrington Bank Quay is very familiar!! Fantastic subject for a layout!!

Are you going to have electrics double-heading steel coil trains for swapping to diesel haulage over to Shotton or will that be too early for your timeframe?

Unfortunately the layout would only really be correct for 2012-3 onwards as the main changes have been to the platforms and track work which unfortunately aren't the easiest things to swap around. (Ironically the building have remained virtually the same, booking office excluded). But the idea of AL1s, AL5s, AL6s & AL7s is really becoming appealing, and I have started finding far to many photos of the APT-P at WBQ. 

This is far from a promise, but I can imagine at some distant point in the future the layout may well be backdated (I would need to get a fleet first anyway).

I can remember Blue electrics on my journeys back home to Warrington in the winter. However that isn't really too difficult seeing as it was 2014 when an 86 & 87 in blue were based at WBQ for Ice Breaker duties.  :O

If someone was to bring out an 86 or 87 in the caley sleeper blue, having seen how smart these look when 86401(?) was being stabled down at Ilford...

Wild Boar Fell 

• Like 1

Just a small update as little progress has been made during the week. 

In preparation for the laying of the final active lengths (non scenic) of track, the 4 lengths have been prepared with the correct arrangement of sleepers either side of the bridge span.

Photos of this are shown in 'A Study in Sleepers' on page 2. How noticeable this will be once it is all weathered and ballasted I am not sure, but at least I know it is correct.

The bridge span sections of track will be made up in a similar manner to those done previously, although this will be split in two, with a section of 6 wooden sleepers (and a AWS REPER ramp on the Up Loop) in between.

post-13109-0-50873200-1474115629_thumb.jpg

Just need to get some plastic strip to finish the job.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

So in my usual attempt at sticking to my own plan, 

The remaining active track (non-scenic) has now been laid. This has been done despite not having enough plastic strip to represent the timber baulks. So for now, only a few sleepers have been retained to support the rails and to keep the gauge. A test vehicle has been run over this showing no ill effects so hopefully this should be okay. Hopefully this means I can get on with completing the fun task of wiring the layout. After that, it's the good bit, the scenery! 

Some pictures, note to self - Don't attempt to take layout photos after visiting the pub...

post-13109-0-95039800-1474151965_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-16116100-1474151975_thumb.jpg

So that is now two boxes ticked,

Boards Built,

Track Laid.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 8

In a slight change from the scheduled broadcast, tonights showing will now be... Boar On Tour - The Beyond London Tour

For those who are afraid of oversized tea making machines, please look away now.

So this week was a tour of two 'Premier' preserved lines in the South of England, namely the Bluebell & Mid Hants lines. Both of these have been on my railway 'bucket list' for a good while. DCP must be congratulated for putting up with me (and my navigating) for 2 days and for assisting with the layout on our return to the midlands. 

First up was the Bluebell, first impressions, is that the line is very well kept and really is first class. We were notably impressed by Horsted Keynes and the size of the station. The plans for new branch out to Haywards Heath also sound interesting (that reminds me, I must get to see our new Mountsorrel branch at some point). 

Time to go, Camelot (Camelot! Camelot!! ... It's only a model...)

post-13109-0-02451800-1474835341_thumb.jpg

A photo to prove the excellent weather we had, also the finish on the van's paintwork

post-13109-0-90126200-1474835352_thumb.jpg

To my surprise I spotted a familiar figure hiding at Horsted Keynes, regular readers of my other blog may recognise it as R&R 45t BDC, it is actually the crane I have based my own model on, which has taken pride of place in my living room.

post-13109-0-27431200-1474835347_thumb.jpg

Then it was onto the Mid Hants/ Watercress Line, a line with some excellent workshops and very well kept stations. 

We were greeted by another familiar shape, Schools class 'Cheltenham', a loco I saw on my first brief visit to the GCR nearly 4 years ago before I moved down here (aptly the other loco in steam that have was 777 Sir Lamiel). 

post-13109-0-95631500-1474835361_thumb.jpg

A stop at Ropley (to easy to hear as Rothley), saw a visit 'On Shed', and my first sighting of an Ivatt 2. I have seen many photos of these locos when I was considering building Warrington Dallam MPD (8B), Typically Warrington had 41211 & 41213 but unfortunately not seen 41212 on shed yet.

post-13109-0-60405100-1474835368_thumb.jpg

Also on shed was 92212 which was at the GCR when I was helping Roundhouse of this parish with Santa Barbara a year ago. Good to see it again in light steam.

post-13109-0-88005100-1474835379_thumb.jpg

Finally a shot of the very photogenic Ropley station.

post-13109-0-79001200-1474835373_thumb.jpg

A day working on WBQ was also achieved, with all 4 boards having the dropper wires soldered in place (47 pairs added I reckon), then it was a case of adding the main bus wires and terminal blocks to the 3 unfitted boards. DCP has come up with a suggestion for building the Low Level Line separately which I will explain properly in a separate post. Preparations for this have been made. It is also becoming more likely that the layout will be extended a further 2ft to the South to improve the scenic break. At plan of how the fiddle yards are to be build is also going to be developed soon. I have previously obtained some Tim Horn laser cut boards as a test, so am looking at New Bryford's Deadman's Lane with interest in that respect.

Exciting times.

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 1

Slight update,

Tonight has seen two boards worth of dropper wires terminated onto the 3 District Buses. These boards still require the plugs and sockets fitting at either end and some of the shorter bus jumpers that run between the terminal blocks. Once in place, any isolation cuts will be made before each board is powered up separated on a DC supply. Once each board has been tested individually, proper 'testing' can commence.

On the subject of 'testing', some of the WBQ fleet should be stretching their legs on the 29th & 30th October at Hazel Grove's Exhibition on WMRC's layout Arley Dale.

Here are a few photos of the layout making its exhibition debut 2 years ago at the Warrington show, quite a lot of work has been done on the layout since then.

post-13109-0-92145400-1475002166_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-24229500-1475002175_thumb.jpg

Getting back to WBQ, unfortunately a small section of track work received some damage during the work the other day inconveniently not only is is part of a curve, but it is also between two points. This shall make replacement 'interesting'. :no:

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update, nope I haven't ended up in the great marshalling yard in the sky.

More a case of catching kettles again. A slight trip away from the layout's home across to the GCR to their Autumn Steam Gala, featuring the return of 78018 (The Bleath Gill loco, see

post-13109-0-31720800-1476118807_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-85008900-1476118798_thumb.jpg

More photos from the weekend will probably migrate their way to Flickr over time.

Hopefully there will be layout progress in my next update.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update to explain an idea from DCP, that may mean I can start doing some scenic work earlier than planned.

This regards the Low Level Line, the original plan had been that this area would have a removeable base to allow the track to be ballasted and detailed separately, the tunnel walls clad and weathered, before being brought back together. The boards have been built to allow this, but to give the whole lower section more strength the whole lower level (including the base of the station building and PSB) is all one piece. Therefore it is a tad unwieldy.

The new concept, as below is to use some plastic pipe to form the track bed (and possibly also part of the side walls). Therefore the track can be laid, ballasted and detailed before being inserted into place. I will then use some strips of foamboard and plastic card to line the tunnel. This therefore removes the need to drop the bottom off the board. Also to block off the end of the tunnel, I am planning to use a spare class 60 body that I have kicking around, scratchbuild a representation of the chassis and get some bogies and a lighting unit, job done! There is a possibility of a low relief HTA end on the other line too. 

post-13109-0-31270000-1477155329_thumb.jpg

Hopefully this can be used as a test area to practise techniques that will be used on the rest of the layout and also keep it out of harms way whilst any heavy or messy work is being undertaken on the rest of the board.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

What with a new Northern Rail 142, a new 156 & 800 series Super Express Train*, this year's Warley announcements should help with the Bank Quay fleet somewhat.

* Hoping that the TPE 802s will be released at some point. I believe some of these may be for the Chester - Leeds service (Via WBQ).

Provisionally it is looking like the next push on the layout front will be over the Christmas/ New Year period, with the assembly of  the FS Board (Further South).

North Board (4ft)

North Mid Board (4ft)

South Mid Board (4ft)

South Board (4ft)

Further South Board (2ft).

By making the front 18ft, this means I can use 3ft long boards for the fiddle yard.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

Chester to Leeds service will be Northern 158s I am afraid

Doh!

At least thats some money saved then.

I suppose there is always the question of what rolling stock Alliance will use for GNWR. It has previously mentioned short Pendolino sets, but with Arriva Rail North ordering CAF units, could a follow order be on the horizon...

Evening all,

Managed to grab a few hours this afternoon to work on the layout (must be the 1st time in months), cork was laid on the Low Level Lines. Following this a length of track was added for each line and trimmed, as per the prototype the Liverpool line is done in concrete sleepers whilst the Manchester line is wood. Cable troughing was scored and then fitted. Once the glue was sufficiently dry the rails were painted, along with 1/2 the trackwork on the rest of the board (no possible as soldering is complete here). 

Another outstanding task now completed was the fitting of the baulks under the Up Loop & Up Slow lines, unlike of the fast lines there are actually two spans here (presumably the 'hidden' span was for the low level platform access or parcels maybe... I expect I will probably be corrected).

post-13109-0-67989800-1480891947_thumb.jpg

Ok it may not be alot of  progress, but I am just glad work has restarted. Might be a while before I build up courage to tackle all that cable trunking though  :no:.

Wild Boar Fell 

• Like 14

More progress has occurred over the last few evenings, this has mainly consisted of rail painting on the Mid & South boards. Doing so has made me realise just how much trackwork there is, there is still the backs of the rails to do and a few other places I couldn't quite reach.

Alot of orange coated wire has now been chopped up and glued in place to represent the cable conduit passing under the track, the locations of these has been guessed from photos and there are still more to add on the boards I have tackled so far.

Some repair work has also taken place, parts of the platform edging that had got caught when moving the boards have been repositioned. More importantly, the section or rail that had broken loose on the link between the Down Loop and the Down Slow, has been soldered and glued in place and has been tested mechanically. It's not the most aesthetically perfect repair, but a 30mm section with 2 salvageable chairs was going to be difficult, especially as a gap is required at one end to separate the track sections. 

In the background I have been trying to plan how to make the Southern Scenic Break on the Further South Board (FSB), the plan has always been to use the silhouette of the Power Signal Box to block the viewpoint at the end of the section. The two canopies will then block most of the view beyond the end backscene.  Hopefully this will disguise most of the 'disappearing station', the idea I am currently toying with is to have the end backscene angled so that it starts further north on the front of the board that the back. Hopefully the pictures below explain it a bit better. This seems a tad different to the norm which I would expect would angle the other way. Anyone got any opinions on which they think will work better (or if it will work at all)?

post-13109-0-12544400-1481578555_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-74177900-1481578556_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 4

Thanks for the suggestion, might be quite tricky to attach it to the existing boards, but sounds like a sensible fall back plan if the Silhouette doesn't work as planned (or just a future expansion).

Paul,

Thanks also, no that would be a really interesting layout to see (I had considered building Bank Quay Low Level in steam days, but would prefer to try Arpley Station). Yes good photos of the trackwork is not easy to find, although I would recommend finding a copy of 'Railway Memories No. 9  WARRINGTON'. However, if you follow the link below, it should take you to the location of WBQ on the old maps (you may need to zoom out). There are two decent maps from 1963, especially the 1:1250, Hopefully that should be a decent starting point.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/359858/388028/13/101329

Would be interested to see any progress you make on the idea.

Kind Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• 2 weeks later...

And just when you thought you had caught up...  :jester:

Well today has seen some more progress on the layout, with most of the Further South Board being assembled. Using South Board as a template construction progressed rapidly, assisted in part by this board being only 1/2 the size of the others. Once assembled the board was aligned with SB and clamped. 6 holes were drilled for the various alignment bolts and dowels. 2 x 8mm bolts, 2 x 8mm wooden dowels (only temporary) and 2 7.5mm holes for the metal dowels which will be fitted later. Once these were drilled and inserted, the board was rotated and a toggle catch added to the back of the board in similar fashion to the other boards. 

post-13109-0-10019400-1483047832_thumb.jpg

The next plan of attack is to add the Low Level scenic section which is not currently fitted. Then it will be onto the trackwork. The image below shows a rough plan of what the track work will be like. The two outer pairs of lines will be merged and brought closer to the fast lines. This is to allow the use of the 1 foot wide curved baseboards made by Tim Horn.

post-13109-0-29963400-1483047843_thumb.jpg 

On a more 'Boar on Tour' note, a evening trip across to Nottingham earlier in the month allowed me to see this brand new 387 being moved out of Litchurch Lane and run around by a Fred (Think it was Madge Elliot, if anyone is interested). There was also plenty to see over on RTC including 40145 waiting near London Road.

post-13109-0-85938100-1483047829_thumb.jpg

Hopefully more to report soon.

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 3

A bit more progress on Bank Quay,

The cork underlay has now been added to the Further South Board along with about 1/2 the trackwork. The plan is to leave the track that connects to the curved boards for now so the geometry can be made as smooth as possible. The new plan is that the scenic break will happen at the very start of the FSB before the loop lines start to curve towards the slow lines.

post-13109-0-11609000-1483195957_thumb.jpg

A recent addition to the Bank Quay fleet is a 350/1 courtesy of Kernow. Whilst these units do not currently work through Bank Quay, I have seen photos of the Silver Link units (as per the model) working through on a Birmingham - Preston service. They also did some of their testing through Bank Quay. Most importantly it was at a very agreeable price.

post-13109-0-35229300-1483195954_thumb.jpg

Many I take this opportunity to wish everyone a Peaceful New Year.

Now to see what 2017 holds for WBQ...

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 8

Thanks David.

Quick update for tonight, all 5 boards have been joined for the first time and levelled. Also together for the first time is the '19-set' of HTAs, these will only just fit on the scenic section with a 60 infront. My thanks go to RS4 and David for their respective halves(ish) of the rake.

post-13109-0-55800700-1483394387_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-47782200-1483394396_thumb.jpg

Edit: The black line just above (infront of the 60) is the approximate location of the scenic break.

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell
  • Like 6