Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

PECORAMA

Whilst in the area have a look at one of the many tourist information stands/information points where you find all the pamphlets and brouchures for local attractions.

In amongst them all you can find the generic 'Jurassic Coast attractions' booklets which contain many money off vouchers - Pecorama is typically one of them. :)

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Spent a very pleasant couple of hours here on Tuesday with the wife, who was pleasantly surprised by the whole place, even with the dodging of heavy rain and thunder. She even enjoyed the train ride. Well worth the money in my book.

• RMweb Gold

As I said earlier in the thread, we were planning a visit on our holiday in Devon.

My wife, 4 year old (train mad) son, my mum and myself visited, so a variety of opinions. We booked online and saved 10% - and went for the option which had 2 rides on the Beer Heights light railway.

Everyone was impressed, even those with less enthusiasm for trains than me and Michael. Crazy Golf was a hit, and everyone enjoyed the BHLR. The gardens were attractive, and soft play and outdoor play areas were also good for the younger ones. We all enjoyed luxuriating in the Pullman coach for our cream tea. 

We all agreed it was excellent value, and certainly compared to our visits to other holiday attractions in the area. My only complaint was that the model shop was at full RRP. However, a visit to a certain Merseyside-based emporium on our way home rectified that!

As I said earlier in the thread, we were planning a visit on our holiday in Devon.

My wife, 4 year old (train mad) son, my mum and myself visited, so a variety of opinions. We booked online and saved 10% - and went for the option which had 2 rides on the Beer Heights light railway.

Everyone was impressed, even those with less enthusiasm for trains than me and Michael. Crazy Golf was a hit, and everyone enjoyed the BHLR. The gardens were attractive, and soft play and outdoor play areas were also good for the younger ones. We all enjoyed luxuriating in the Pullman coach for our cream tea. 

We all agreed it was excellent value, and certainly compared to our visits to other holiday attractions in the area. My only complaint was that the model shop was at full RRP. However, a visit to a certain Merseyside-based emporium on our way home rectified that!

They would fall foul of their retailers if they offered a discount  !!

• 2 weeks later...

They would fall foul of their retailers if they offered a discount  !!

They could offer discounts on the non-Peco stock they sell (maybe not box shifter prices but what you would get from a decent shop). They could, like Dapol, also do discounts on EOL products and returns.

• RMweb Premium

For two years the Beer Heights Light Railway was my nearest and we lived on the hillside opposite facing the little trains.  I visited several times.  The entry charge is effectively unlimited admission for the day although after the first train ride if you want more there's a perfectly reasonable additional charge.  The whole place is usually immaculate, the railway is one of the best miniatures I know of being well run and offering a variety of scenery in a fairly modest run.  It can be busy but it can be surprisingly quiet at times.  The last trip I had I was one of two passengers on the train - the last of the day and as others mentioned above therefore available at a "late-bird" discount.  

The shop sells at full RRP but the staff are able to offer advice and do so freely.  I had a long and quite technical discussion with two of their number before committing to use their track outdoors in Australia.  That was a good decision as despite the extreme conditions the track has lasted over 10 years with only a few points requiring replacement.  The show layouts are not exhibition quality (but neither are some at exhibitions, quite frankly) however are of a good standard and are intended as an attraction and to showcase their products.  It's not marketed nor intended to be a model railway exhibition in the style of Warley - don't expect "Gresley Beat" or "Black Country Blues"

If you are in the area it is worth making the trip.  If you are nearby it is probably worth a deviation.  If you are pressed for time and heading much farther afield then perhaps leave it for another day as it can consume several hours.

The village of Beer has plenty to offer.  Very pretty in its own right there are several pubs (and arguments as to which offers the best food / drink though local consent suggests it's The Anchor) and small art galleries.  It remains a working fishing village with boats hauled up onto the steep shingle beach.  Two cafes serve the beach, open for most of the year, with locals supporting one or the other according to family.  There's not a lot to pick between them but I prefer Duckies on the west side.  At low tide Beer Ledge is exposed for rock-pooling and there are boat trips in the season.  Beer Marine Heritage Centre, a large wooden shed at the top of the beach, offers displays and interpretation of the local marine life and geology.  And was established with significant input from myself and my wife while we lived there.  Beer Quarry Caves are a short drive away and offer underground tours (hard hat provided) into a unique environment where stone has been hewed since at least Roman times.  Almost every cathedral in the UK has Beer Stone in it somewhere.  And for architecture nerds Beer features numerous Arts and Crafts-style buildings with distinctive window and door lintels designed in the Arts and Crafts style by David Carr.  Beer has piracy in its history and celebrates annually its local character Jack Rattenbury, and was famed for lace-making including for royalty.  

Nearby Branscombe is also worth a visit though beware the narrow lanes and steep hills what ever your mode of travel.

http://www.beer-devon.co.uk offers a range of general and specific detail.

Archived