Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Nice Bit of Patriotism, But............

melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Ah BUT !! ( Now I meant it light hearted, but I can get serious here :nono: ) you miss the point. The Angle tribe became the 'Anglo' part of Anglo-Saxon, the Anglo part later became what was referred to as 'Engl' which became what we all know as England ( via Englaland - land of the Angles ). Off history soap box. :sungum:

Eh?  The Angles came from what is now southern Denmark / northern Germany.  They weren't a tribe of Britons.

Eh?  The Angles came from what is now southern Denmark / northern Germany.  They weren't a tribe of Britons.

Which means the English aren't even British!

Might be a useful get out clause depending on how the Iceland match goes... ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And the Saxons were a Germanic tribe too.

The Britons were Celts, akin to the Welsh & Cornish.

And the Saxons were a Germanic tribe too.

Ah, a history lesson, the Saxons, Jutes, Angles, Frisians, Danes, Norse, and Svear ( Sweden) were all Germanic tribes that made a big input into 'Great Britain' in adding to the original Britons during the first 'great Migration' between the 5th & 8th century - now it's the time of the second from the Middle East, and Africa, perhaps. 

• RMweb Gold

Blummin Dinosaur nomads claiming to be locals  ;)

Someone is going to claim to be descended from the gaseous cloud that coalesced into the earth next . . . oh . . .

So Borris is the original Brit. He's definitly a gaseous cloud

What has happened to "the other thread"?

Has it been zapped, or has it just been rendered inaccessible to some of us?

And, was there something particular that tipped the balance and caused it to be zapped.

I thought that we were "playing nicely".

K

• RMweb Premium

And, was there something particular that tipped the balance and caused it to be zapped.

K

Oh dear, I hope it wasn't me that was the 'straw' and if it was I apologise with all my heart and will leave RMW immediately (do I hear cheering in the distance?)

Philth

K

All very civilised when I last viewed it, but now it has vanished.

What happened? 

You mean there was "The other thread"?

Damn I missed it.

Was it like 'The Other Stage' at Glastonbury?

Maybe we could have an Avalon thread?

(I really must put less sugar in my home brew).

I didn't contribute to the "other" thread despite having strong views which are solely my business and of interest to no-one else, but viewed it and thought it was trotting along in a civilized manner. Might I suggest someone hit the "Report" button and uploaded a stinging complaint to the mods? Normally, one or two complaints might lead to a warning or ultimately a lock, but I've never known an entire thread "vanish" before.

I make no secret of the fact that I think this forum is no place for "party" politics... labour v conservative etc, and I don't like threads of that nature. They ALWAYS lead to trouble and bad feeling and I've hit the report button myself a few times purely out of personal annoyance. Spoilsport? Whatever. The "other" thread was kinda unique though and I don't remember anyone throwing their virtual toys out of their virtual pram. Curious indeed.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 2

All very civilised when I last viewed it, but now it has vanished.

What happened? 

Alas, the weight of my uploaded funny images all landed on one side of the RMWeb server, causing it to list heavily to port.

When Andy Y passed by, he rested his coffee cup (he says, but I heard it was a wine glass) on the edge of the genuine fake antique plastic oak chinese server case, This caused the other thread to slip over the edge and into the deepest darkest cyber ocean. No RMwebbers were injured.

RIP other thread.

And now, back to business as usual.

Edited by HeeleyBridge

I was very disappointed when reading the other thread last night between midnight and 1:00am to find that I couldn't go from page 5 to page 6 and then all pages disappeared.  I agree that it was well conducted up to the point I reached in the thread and the mod had indicated that he was aware of the good-natured banter of the thread.

Mick

On reading the post above from Heeley Bridge: Hmmmmm.

(That was my very deeply sceptical "Hmmmm", as opposed to my thinking for a moment "Hmmmm")

Unless a vast cornucopia of images was added after I last looked at the thread, that reason doesn't seem to hold water to me.

K

Edited by Nearholmer