Caboose Hobbies apparently will be closing - bad news!

• RMweb Premium

One of the shops in Toronto moved, many years ago, and there was a big clear out of all sorts of stuff that must have been at the back bottom of their storeroom.

• 3 weeks later...

Jack, can we get this thread renamed please. Caboose Hobbies has confirmed they are NOT closing but moving after their landlord gave them 90 days notice. Its a bit misleading for anyone just browsing the titles and does the business a disservice.

Done, Andrew - however, there was something on another forum (TrainOrders.com?) in the last couple of days, that said they were going to become an on-line supplier only, with no shop-front operation.  There are some suppliers (Walthers?) that apparently won't supply firms that don't have a physical shop-front.

One of the shops in Toronto moved, many years ago, and there was a big clear out of all sorts of stuff that must have been at the back bottom of their storeroom.

If it is the one I think, they occasionally still find things that were in the bottom of boxes...

• 2 weeks later...

I have re-titled this thread again - unfortunately the original title seems to have been correct according to further reports.attachicon.gifCH.jpg

why do I have the feeling there was a lot of soul searching and attempts to sell, regroup, etc before making this decision.

Sad but I wish them a long and happy retirement.

Really sad to see this place go.

Our last trip to the store, we were trudging through snow from the light rail stop and was well worth the visit.

Its going to be hard to find a store quite like this one in the future

Totally agree.

Loconuts

When I was in Denver some years ago, I had to visit twice I was so awed by my first visit! Their claim of "the largest model railroad shop in the world" was not exaggerated in my view! As a result, I have used them for mail order ever since and have no cpmplaints whatsoever, - always a good stock and quick delivery. I'm a bit concenrend as to what might happen to outstanding orders though...

• RMweb Gold

Our first visit back in 1999 we walked in and thought that it was no bigger than many other stores and were a little disappointed, till we realized that there was a gap in the wall to the next part of the shop. spent a long time in there first visit and my other half was occupied by numerous local modellers who wanted to chat to her.

Next years planned visit to Denver wont be the same. Just have to spend longer in one of the many breweries.

• RMweb Gold

I think this is going to be the tread from now on as most model shop owners started their businesses in the 60's and 70's and now probably retiring and no one picking up that baton.  With the advent of the internet, a lot of dealers on there are home grown and don't have to pay for expensive premises.  Cheaper and better deals for us but at the downside, you can't "feel or touch" what you want to buy.

I know I will stir up a Hornet's nest but I still lament the closing of Victors 20 years ago and there really hasn't been anyone (In my opinion) that ever came close to Bernie's shop.  Those that came after have largely faded away and that leaves us with having to buy on online and usually with a US dealer.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Premium

I well remember the walk up to Victors, visiting the shop was always interesting as you were never sure what you'd find. His window display was enough to make me weep as he'd dump stuff in it and it'd be bleached by the sun, he had some really good stuff rendered valueless in that way. The shop was small but packed and I never once visited without finding something that was irresistible. That was a golden time for HO modellers, as well as Victors there was MG Sharpe and Mackays as well as various others. I know many didn't like Ken Eaglesham as he could turn his charm on and off like a tap and when the mood took him he could be rather abrupt and dismissive of people but I think the hobby is a poorer place without characters like that. Mackay was a gentleman and he always offered great service.Bernie Victor used to admit he didn't have a clue what stock he had and used to tell people not to pay too much attention to his CM advert, he was another character.

Archived