Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

More Pre-Grouping Wagons in 4mm - the D299 appreciation thread.

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, 41516 said:

I'd have settled for a clearer look at the number on the piped D1661....

There's getting on for a herd of them there, which is curious. Not necessarily all piped, of course.

Piped D1661s with the three plank lower door and the later strapping arrangement (as per D1840) seem to be a less photographed variation. Similar example in LMS days on the HMRS site.

I could do with more numbers to go in my list as I try to make order from the random numbering chaos for when I get round to trying to get a reasonable representation of variants for my builds.  There's a secondary level of fun trying to match numbers given as being in ale traffic in The Acquired Wagons of British Railways Vol4 to the most likely combination of door, strapping and plate shape above the vertical end beams from other photos, assuming some of the later builds had numbers at least close to each other, if not entirely in sequence.

Edit - as the first batches of D1661s were from Midland orders, it keeps things sort of on-topic....

Edited by 41516
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

worth its weight in gold on Ebay

Not in the state that some of these arrived into my hands!

before.jpg.6f92c004e30b2a3e8cf3c8b85f703b9b.jpg

Sheets superglued in place on each side, floors too low, sides upside down,  paint that wouldn't shift with caustic....

Edited by 41516
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

9 minutes ago, 41516 said:

Sheets superglued in place on each side, floors too low, sides upside down,  paint that wouldn't shift with caustic....

That's funny, hadn't realised I'd put some of my builds on eBay!

Edited by Schooner
! Punktwoayshun. And spelling,
  • Like 1
  • Funny 9

41 minutes ago, 41516 said:

If there was an OMG emoji, I'd have used it on sight of that...

Edited by kitpw
double signature removed
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, kitpw said:

If there was an OMG emoji, I'd have used it on sight of that...

Set faces for stunned... I thought this poor Ratio D.54 was even beyond the loving care of the thread leader.

LNWR1.jpg.cdbdac165ce43a89e6e426127a6a8491.jpg

Hmmm.

LNWR2.jpg.06693f1302479c7fff37288b614caf25.jpg

Glued together with something chemically very 'hot' and not plastic friendly, 2" nails and green playdough used as weight, painted bright orange!   Pretty much 100% spares box write off although the outside of the ends might be ok.   The fun of job lots!

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

How are the outsides of the sides?

Heavily bowed out where the nail and glue made contact with the side. It's more of an aerofoil profile now!

Edited by 41516

33 minutes ago, 41516 said:

2" nails and green playdough

I'm sure a preservation railway would be pleased to park it in a siding and mark it "for restoration: previously used as a store for scrap iron and chip fat".

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, 41516 said:

Set faces for stunned... I thought this poor Ratio D.54 was even beyond the loving care of the thread leader.

Hmmm.

Basis for a banana van?

I'm just getting my coat

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

17 hours ago, 41516 said:

The curve on the wagon above suggests your layout might soon acquire a Japanese garden complete with Torii gate: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rosewood-Japanese-Torii-Aquarium-Ornament/dp/B00AQU8CC2/ref=asc_df_B00AQU8CC2/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=256124228134&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14433279878094420135&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20339&hvtargid=pla-319865103765&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Now for my cunning plan...

563053034_Coopercraftkit1001partsmodified.JPG.5c2526053d3059e48f436b9e4636fbbb.JPG

I hadn't realised quite how well the sides would turn out - the door latches are in the same position on the O4 as on the 4-plank wagons. If one was starting from a pristine kit for the post-1925 O4, without sheet bar (kit 1005), one could make a 4-plank that wouldn't need a sheet to hide the butchery.

The original builder had clearly twisted the solebar / axleguard molding off the sprue - the keeper plates and bottom of the axleguards had had a hard time and will need some careful repair. I have yet to turn the oil axleboxes into grease ones. 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 24/06/2022 at 17:18, Compound2632 said:

The original builder had clearly twisted the solebar / axleguard molding off the sprue - the keeper plates and bottom of the axleguards had had a hard time and will need some careful repair. 

I'm mulling over sanding the axleguards off completely, from behind, leaving just the spring and axlebox, and using brass axleguards instead. But I'd do the axlebox modification first, while the molded axleguard gives support.

Another set of Great Western buffers has been ordered from Dart Castings, along with a few other bits and bobs including two pairs of 8 ft wheelbase rigid bogie frames:

837175947_Aldridgestation1102ClassBrownhillsBranchtraincrop.jpg.bcf19dbdd5d9322630cce9c45aaa660f.jpg

• Like 5

I've decided to see what can be done with the poor old D.54 - while looking for a replacement underframe set, I've noticed that the Bill Bedford DC1 set is back in stock at Eileens which may be of use to regular readers as it had been previously withdrawn.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, 41516 said:

I've noticed that the Bill Bedford DC1 set is back in stock at Eileens which may be of use to regular readers as it had been previously withdrawn.

I asked about these a couple of years back and was told they'd found a flaw in the artwork and wouldn't be making any more.

@Derek Russan - do you have an update on this? What was the flaw and has it gone away?

• RMweb Gold

I had a look to see if there are any design changes apparent. This is the etch as depicted on Eileen's now:

image.png.7056c01db7cb061a650d583b96a871e1.png

This is the etch from before it went out of stock:

20220626_161934.thumb.jpg.d66de628006b69b856bba9b9d43c8cb4.jpg

Same copyright date and no changes I can see. But Eileen's image may be the old one.

Bill will know best of course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1