More Pre-Grouping Wagons in 4mm - the D299 appreciation thread.

On 17/06/2023 at 21:17, Compound2632 said:

One expects (or at least, one who has looked at Midland practice expects) the process to be the other way round: the contractor would be supplied with a company C&W Drawing Office drawing along with the specification in the tender document, against which to tender

This is true Stephen for larger lines, and I suspect that by the turn of the century also true for the Furness, after Mr Pettigrew took over at Barrow works. However no FR tender invitations survive to my knowledge, so we cannot be sure what degree of information was provided, be that drawings, or written specifications, etc. But even if the Birmingham drawings are accurate tracings of FR originals, we also know that what was proposed in a drawing and what was actually built are not always the same thing.... So at best those drawings are a starting point in research, but I don't think they should be relied upon as an accurate depiction of the actual vehicle.

All the best

Neil 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

It is perfectly evident from your contributions on TNM and ER that that hasn't worked.

But they don't turn up wanting to occupy the modelling space. 

Jamie

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

It is perfectly evident from your contributions on TNM and ER that that hasn't worked.

Took me a while to work out, so for others who don't frequent those parts of the forum it's Early Risers and The Night Mail.

Alan

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 5

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I would rather people inhibited their sheds than shed their inhibitions.

Just don't fall foul of the domestic authoritiesor you will be  inhAbiting  your shed. 

Jamie who may adjourn to the shed this afternoon. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of weeks ago I decided after some havering that I ought to join the HMRS. I did so via their website and was glad to see that membership is an item in stock. I heard nothing further until the Journal - Vol. 24 No. 4 (March 2023) - and May 2023 issue of the newsletter "Points" arrived today. Both seem excellent publications on this first sampling; I like the mix of modelling and prototype articles, and especially those that bring both together. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Only one page specifically on wagons in the July issue of the HMRS Journal. but there is interesting related stuff in one of the other articles. I am still trying to find out whether one statement is correct.

I need to send in a comment on my comment, as Simon Turner pointed out something I had overlooked. I'll have to send the same in to the MRS Journal!

• Like 4

On 18/06/2023 at 15:06, Jol Wilkinson said:

There was a 4mm version of the early "open" LNWR D20 small cattle wagon on the London Road Models stand at Railex. I don't yet  know when it will available.

The 4mm scale kit for the D20 was available at ExPoEM at Bracknell earlier in May, sold out quickly, and a re-run has been done, I had two of the latter kits. 
airanimal's 7mm models (or are they bigger?) are very nice, he's even managed to get the right number of vertical bars in too - something I couldn't do in 4mm scale. 

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Penlan said:

The 4mm scale kit for the D20 was available at ExPoEM at Bracknell earlier in May, sold out quickly, and a re-run has been done

The one I'm building was bought at ExpoEM. There was also an open version, which I gather was adapted from the kit - I assume just by filing the ends flat; there were a couple of strips of brass soldered on to represent the bracing straps that run across the wagon from the tops of the door-pillars.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 18/06/2023 at 18:26, Dave Hunt said:

I think I've got some bad news for you; I've been parenting for nearly 53 years now and it hasn't stopped. Added to which grandparenting kicks in after a while.

Dave 

Yep, we're thinking this may indeed be the future... 😐

And in answer to others' suggestions of moving further away yes, that's on the cards too, though not quite as far as France, much as we love it...

Edited by Chas Levin
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Chas Levin said:

Yep, we're thinking this may indeed be the future... 😐

And in answer to others' suggestions of moving further away yes, that's on the cards too, though not quite as far as France, much as we love it...

And just remember that grandchildren seem to come with the keys to their grandparents wallets. 

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

And just remember that grandchildren seem to come with the keys to their grandparents wallets. 

My scheme is to empty mine before there are any. New toy arrived yesterday:

NERClassO0-4-4TNo.2093frontleft.JPG.a667af1fb3b931fa0a05c6ef314a7cd7.JPG

O-ho! I hear you say...

NERClassO0-4-4TNo.2093rearright.JPG.1468d004f4dc02a82645352a2ce31d2a.JPG

The cab steps are in the add-on bag, for obvious reasons. A Ratio Midland Bain suburban - D552 - masquerading as a NER arc-roof bogie carriage; I'm not well up on North Eastern carriages but gather David Bain was responsible for something of this sort shortly before his move to Derby.

NERClassO0-4-4TNo.2093frontright.JPG.b4a9e456febd2b1e36d9fe9d5d5fe25c.JPG

There had been some anxiety about the shade of green, owing to some publicity photos in which it looked quite yellow. These photos are taken in natural light on an overcast day; they represent well what I see with my own eyes, which is, I think, pretty much the colour one expects.

My only gripe is the box:

NERClassO0-4-4TNo.2093box.JPG.64a91171adb6eb8b8206ceda5f83a38c.JPG

which purports to contain a Pennsy 4-6-0.

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

New toy arrived yesterday:

How often were those seen in North Birmingham? I don't recall 0-4-4Ts ever being subject to pooling arrangements.

Alan

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Buhar said:

How often were those seen in North Birmingham? I don't recall 0-4-4Ts ever being subject to pooling arrangements.

Not at all. But it's a 0-4-4T and a nice shade of green. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

There was also an open version, which I gather was adapted from the kit - I assume just by filing the ends flat......

I've never been sure about this photo, I'm wondering if it's been vertically squashed, because the height to length ratio's look wrong and the signal arms are rather slender.
But here's an example of an 'open' Cattle wagon.

Cattle Wagons - LNWR.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The one I'm building was bought at ExpoEM. There was also an open version, which I gather was adapted from the kit - I assume just by filing the ends flat; there were a couple of strips of brass soldered on to represent the bracing straps that run across the wagon from the tops of the door-pillars.

AFAIK, the early open D20 on display was from new castings creating by modifying the patterns for the closed version. I don't yet know when it will be supplied as a separate kit. 

Also in the pipeline from LRM are a LNWR Ballast wagon and a LNWR Loco Coal wagon.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

AFAIK, the early open D20 on display was from new castings creating by modifying the patterns for the closed version. I don't yet know when it will be supplied as a separate kit. 

@Penlan's photo made me realise that must be the case, with the open ends. I suppose the purpose of the frames above the top of the side was to support a wagon sheet as required - from which it was a small (but reluctant) step to adding a roof. 

3 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Also in the pipeline from LRM are a LNWR Ballast wagon and a LNWR Loco Coal wagon.

If I understood correctly, these will be different diagrams to the Ratio kits - earlier types; if I'm not dreaming I saw a dumb-buffered loco coal wagon?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

If I understood correctly, these will be different diagrams to the Ratio kits - earlier types; if I'm not dreaming I saw a dumb-buffered loco coal wagon?

Pages 46 - 48 of Vol 3 - LNWR Wagons.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Isn't this typical, I've made a 'cross my heart, hope ..... ' promise to my wife not to buy (or even accept) anymore more kits, and then the market explodes with very suitable kits, after all these years............ 

Edited by Penlan
  • Friendly/supportive 5