Farish Incoming - July 2016

Andy Y

The following items are between the factory and Barwell at present:

371-064

BR Class 03 No. 03170 in BR blue livery (weathered)

-

£94.95

371-876DS

Class 108 DMU in BR blue livery (56248 + 50965)

Oxenholme and Windermere. FITTED WITH DCC SOUND

6/7

DCC SOUND

£269.95

SCENECRAFT N SCALE

42-146

Yard Crane

-

-

£22.95

42-181

Depot Hoist

-

-

£34.95

The last two posts say it all

You just can not please some people whatever you do.

I don't think they are trying to please everyone - that would just be silly to assume they are.

G.

Hello,

Agree there are not many new items, but surely the first RTR sound fitted model is something pretty revolutionary, and from what I've seen so far a really good sound project too.

I know that some people are not keen on sound, but I think this is going to be something that increases the popularity of 2mm scale modelling in the future, It even has the basic sound function on DC, so surely this is something that is helping N to move forward at a time it needs to compete with the larger scales.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Having seen a video of the sound fitted 108 I am very impressed.

Fitting sound to N Gauge models is not for the faint-hearted, so to have the hard work done at the factory, with decoder and speaker designed in and pre-programmed, will make a real difference and in my view be a real game-changer.

Cheers

Ben A.

The last two posts say it all

You just can not please some people whatever you do.

Not really, they just appear to be stating facts.

There has been a dearth of Farish stuff arriving over the last couple of months.

Good or bad, that's up to you. 

Fitting sound to N Gauge models is not for the faint-hearted, so to have the hard work done at the factory, with decoder and speaker designed in and pre-programmed, will make a real difference and in my view be a real game-changer.

Agreed, it is not something I could do or have the patience for 

Sadly having this modification carried out by a third party agent is expensive (model, plus decoder, plus conversion), and is typically £300 (new) / £200 (motor supplied) 

When you look at that, the Class 108 sound fitted is actually good value for money, and if continued to other models in the Farish could put such agents out of work in the long term!

Agreed, it is not something I could do or have the patience for 

Sadly having this modification carried out by a third party agent is expensive (model, plus decoder, plus conversion), and is typically £300 (new) / £200 (motor supplied) 

When you look at that, the Class 108 sound fitted is actually good value for money, and if continued to other models in the Farish could put such agents out of work in the long term!

At a discounted price of about £230 the sound fitted 108 is very good value for money in my view and yes, quite a lot cheaper than having one converted. My play with it at the NGS AGM was very encouraging. Good sound project, a good speaker and lots of functions (although no window rattle!) the sluggish gear-change was well captured and all the other sound functions we have come to expect. It is a leap of faith by Bachmann I'm sure and if it and the Castle (which will it appears discount to under £200) are successful, I'm sure more will follow. I'm hoping that the 40 comes with sound as an option, a "Whistler" would be an awesome choice.

My only gripe with the 108 as I have mentioned elsewhere is having BR Blue as the only livery choice. From who others I have spoken to who feel as I do it certainly appears there would have been a greater demand for a BR Green one...

Roy

Assuming they've not had to make any changes to the body shell moulding to be able to fit the sound components in , in theory it should be possible to swap shells if you already own a 108.

Does the sound fitted one have the distinctive exhaust "fart" when changing gear?

Yes a body swap is possible as from the conversation I had there have been no changes (the 108 was always designed with space fpr a speaker) but although I do have a green one I would have preferred not to have to do that as would like it in addition and I do not want to be stuck with a non sound blue one! 

It was a good sound representation and still quite audible even in what was a very noisy hall. 

Roy

Archived