Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

I don't mind what you boys are flying .....as long as they pay me top rate to fix them !!!

I found a picture in the tech log recently and it said " god made engineers so pilots could have heroes too..."

Rather liked that !

Another selection of the 70s/80s

N872SJ Diesel 8. The 8's and Fat Albert made up a great fleet. The 74's never did quite seem to be right for Southern but did great work on AMC/MAC flights.

And as for Okada, they paid me well in Lagos on 72's. Ex Lufties straight out of D Check :sungum: 

Their 1-11's were  bit dodgy though.

• Like 2

N872SJ Diesel 8. The 8's and Fat Albert made up a great fleet. The 74's never did quite seem to be right for Southern but did great work on AMC/MAC flights.

And as for Okada, they paid me well in Lagos on 72's. Ex Lufties straight out of D Check :sungum: 

Their 1-11's were  bit dodgy though.

You mean you actually got paid by Okada ???? Monarchs would get halfway through a 707 c check, stop and then bag every removed item and stow them in the holds and tow the aircraft out to the remote stands at LTN and only resume the check when the payments turned up a week later.

There was another 707 they used to work ,I think they were called Naganagani or something, similar story there.

I could have sworn they also worked ZAS airline of Egypt aircraft although i might be getting confused with ATEL at STN....

Anyway keep the pics coming please , some great memories....

Yes, they paid every time it was due as it was paid in London by a rep there.

I took two 72-200's from Stansted to Lagos via Palma as it was the only place they would give us fuel though and a cash sale.  

Once we got all three 72's down in Nigeria they did not leave the country whilst I was there. No cards on board. Funnily enough as well the radio icence on the back of the cockpit door was the same one on all three aircraft

They were lovely aircraft as Lufthansa had done a great job of looking after them. Then Okda took them on................ :nono: 

They lasted well for quite a while and then things started to break. The first grounding was for the LGCIU. Shake the box and listen to all those little relays rattle. :O 

I was on the ground for a week until they got one. I think it came from the local market in Ikeja under the flyover. It did have a Form 1 though :scratchhead: 

The young lads on the 1-11's were zero time and not paid. They got their food and accommodation paid for but got no salary.

They did it to build hours. 10 hours a day and you soon build hours !!!! 

OK, here's a Luton story from way back.  A colleague of mine was based at Luton as a tech-rep.  Just after Court Line went belly up he was stopped by a guy in a small truck.  The guy had been sent by the Receiver to collect Court Line assets and wanted to know where the RB-211 test bed was as he had to pick it up and remove it...... :scratchhead:

• RMweb Premium

Cash for fuel ! Fantastic , I wonder if Okada had proper fuel carnet cards ....and if they were useable .

One of the cargo airlines I used to work in, the flight managers took cash with them. No card facilities in many parts of the off grid areas we flew into so cash was king. If the aircraft/crew was away for a month or so, acting as a tramp steamer almost, we used to count out massive sums of money, in the hundreds of thousands in fresh US dollars we had in a safe in the office. This was because the whole operation once out in the sticks would be paid in cash, fuel/hotac, navigation, landing fees and airport charges, ad hoc maintenance, contingency for 'assistance' ...  USD dollars were/are very easy to pay your way round the world with, everyone accepts them.

• Like 1

Yes, almost all our aircraft were fitted with safes. We have carried a million at one point to top up other aircraft in our fleet as we passed down route.

All US Dollars

One of the cargo airlines I used to work in, the flight managers took cash with them. No card facilities in many parts of the off grid areas we flew into so cash was king. If the aircraft/crew was away for a month or so, acting as a tramp steamer almost, we used to count out massive sums of money, in the hundreds of thousands in fresh US dollars we had in a safe in the office. This was because the whole operation once out in the sticks would be paid in cash, fuel/hotac, navigation, landing fees and airport charges, ad hoc maintenance, contingency for 'assistance' ... USD dollars were/are very easy to pay your way round the world with, everyone accepts them.

• Like 3

Am I correct in thinking BMA only had one 707?

Not quite, according to the fleet history, between 1970 and 1985, 24 were registered to BMA but a number never flew on BMA services being leased to other airlines. Most were operated by BMA but there doesn't seem to be a definitive list of which.

• RMweb Gold

Not quite, according to the fleet history, between 1970 and 1985, 24 were registered to BMA but a number never flew on BMA services being leased to other airlines. Most were operated by BMA but there doesn't seem to be a definitive list of which.

Thanks for that, did they all carry BMA livery?

Is the fourth picture actually a 720?

Thanks for that, did they all carry BMA livery?

Is the fourth picture actually a 720?

Hard to say which liveries they carried without a definitive list but at least one doesn't appear to have, its acquisition and disposal dates correspond exactly with its lease to Kuwait Airways so chances are it was in their colours throughout.