The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

Just come across these Pics I took in Lima about 10 years ago

We were walking past the gates and I saw this, I asked the guard if we could go in and he very kindly let us in

post-254-0-94935500-1509882754_thumb.jpg

Anyone translate Spanish? I would love to know if it's an original Bleriot and the story of how it ended up in the Aeronautical Club of Peru

post-254-0-85740400-1509882763_thumb.jpg

post-254-0-51553500-1509882794_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Just come across these Pics I took in Lima about 10 years ago

We were walking past the gates and I saw this, I asked the guard if we could go in and he very kindly let us in

attachicon.gif101_0124.JPG

Anyone translate Spanish? I would love to know if it's an original Bleriot and the story of how it ended up in the Aeronautical Club of Peru

attachicon.gif101_0123.JPG

attachicon.gif101_0122.JPG

Something  to do with this I think .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Ch%C3%A1vez

Once again a superb set of historic pics thanks.

The line up of Vampires caught My eye. They turned up everywhere when I was a kid as the RAAF disposed of them. Theres still a few floating around West Oz on Plinths even now. There's one outside a machinery place in Wangara, one down near the coast at Rockingham and a couple in Beverely. (I think I may have posted one of the Beverly ones on this thread sometime back, with My Triumph parked in front of it.

Is the one at the front of that picture above a Sea Venom ? It looks different (apart from the Camo).

• Like 2

I don't know if it's a Venom, but there are subtle differences to the other aircraft behind... cockpit canopy shape, nose shape, tailfin shape. Didn't really notice when I posted the photo as it was in small thumbnail form.

It looks as the first and fourth are Venoms, not Sea Venoms though I don't think. The Vampires were mostly powered by DH Goblin engines, with some Australian ones RR Nene powered. The Venoms were larger a/c powered by the more powerful DH Ghost engine, the same as used in the Comet 1 airliner.

When I started my apprenticeship with Rolls-Royce at Leavesden, Hertfordshire, in 1968, Goblins were still being overhauled for the Indian AF.....I believe that building is now part of the Harry Potter studio.

I'm wondering if the 'captured Lysander' is actually a Finnish version as their aircraft markings featured a 'full' swastika emblem.

steve

Indeed. The Finnish AF had several. It is a blue swastika on a white background.

The swastika was apparently a Viking symbol for good luck.

Edited by Jeff Smith

Thanks for the info on the Finish Lysander gents, duly noted. A few more oldies...

A Vulcan casting its own shadow over a crashed B24 in Libya...

post-7638-0-50964000-1509966231.jpg

post-7638-0-19841500-1509966306.jpg

306 Polish Fighter Squadron...

post-7638-0-71989000-1509966329.jpg

P-51 at Iwo Jima...

post-7638-0-82341500-1509966359.jpg

Northrop XB-35...

post-7638-0-92485200-1509966387.jpg

Me 323, the largest single fixed wing aircraft to fly during WW2...

post-7638-0-13674700-1509966409.jpg

Me P-1101 at Oberammergue, 1946...

post-7638-0-67938300-1509966470.jpg

Mosquito Night Fighter MkXIII...

post-7638-0-67339800-1509966526.jpg

• Like 10

A couple of pictures of incidents i attended to whilst working at London City Airport the first time i was stationed there.

post-7309-0-09129400-1510060770_thumb.jpg

First up , the remains of an Avro RJ main wheel tyre , we had been having anti skid problems on an aircraft and this was a result of a troubleshooting high speed taxi / braking test . Turned out it was a faulty Dual adaptive Anti skid valve , replaced shortly after this picture was taken , along with this wheel assembly !

post-7309-0-82230700-1510061050.jpg

Funny one this . The BA RJ was being positioned on stand and the tow team had made a bit of a mess on the positioning resulting in the stabilisers overlapping .

They were both touching so the resulting solution was to leave the passengers on the Lufthansa RJ to keep both main leg oleos compressed and to collapse the nose leg oleo on the empty BA RJ forcing  the nose down and tail to raise creating a small gap , then getting the tow team to move the Lufthansa RJ.

Believe it or not there was only some minor paint damage to both after some pretty detailed inspections including NDT testing.

I was on my own that day and it was pretty stressful dealing with it all , thats me in the lifter basket .

post-7309-0-18619800-1510061614_thumb.jpg

post-7309-0-50572600-1510061648_thumb.jpg

Swiss RJ that had a tailstrike on landing , this was my last turnround on a Saturday and i was all set to shoot off home when this arrived . This was the aircraft that ended up being taken across the dock by barge and repaired in a temporary hangar constructed on the other side of the KG5 dock .

Absolutely massive damage to the aircraft and it was in repair for nearly 5 months , a good friend of mine was the crew chief on the repairs .

Bent airframe , around thirty frames replaced , five skin sheets , and lots of stringers .

post-7309-0-86438400-1510062184_thumb.jpg

post-7309-0-10201400-1510062229_thumb.jpg

post-7309-0-12968400-1510062267_thumb.jpg

Finally for today , a couple of shots i took of the BA RJ that had noseleg failure and subsequent partial belly land on its landing roll . Aircraft was written off as the damage was huge and eventually she was dismantled on site. The nose leg had a manufacturing fault and cracks had formed leading to a stress failure and folding back into the airframe , flight crew and cabin crew whom i knew personally did a tremendous job of the landing and emergency .

Pretty sobering when you looked around the damage i can tell you .

Anyway hope they are of some interest , sorry about the quality of the photos , all off one of my old mobiles.

cheer, 

Paul.

• Like 11

You liked my SR71 story here is another true story

RECOLLECTIONS OF AN AIRMAN 

Lt-Col L.A. Strange D.S.O, M.C., DFC

First Published March 1933

This copy from Aviation Book Club Edition 1940 

But on May 10th 1915, I reached 8,500 feet when going after an Aviatik belonging to von Leutzer’s

Squadron from Lille Aerodrome. We were somewhere over Menin, and the Hun was still gaining

though we were both near the tops of respective ceilings. Not all the enemy aircraft were equipped

machine guns in those early days, but the German observer potted at from the rear cockpit with a

parabellum pistol and as some of his bullets came unpleasantly close  I thought it high time to

retaliate, and gave him  a drum from my Lewis gun without much effect But when I wanted to take

off the empty drum and replace it with a full one, it seemed to  jam and as I was unable to remove it

with one hand, I wedged the stick between my knees and tugged at the obstinate thing with both

hands.

After one or two fruitless efforts, I raised myself up out of my seat in order to get a better grip, and I

suppose that my safety belt must have slipped down at the critical moment. Anyhow, my knees

loosened their grip on the stick just as the Martynside, which was already climbing at its maximum

angle, stalled and flicked over into spin.

As I was more than half out of the cockpit at the time, the spin threw me clear of the machine, but I

still kept both my hands on the drum of the Lewis gun. Only a few seconds previously I had been

cursing because I could not get that drum off, but now I prayed fervently that it would stay on for

ever.

I knew it might come off any moment, however and as its edge was cutting my fingers badly, I had to

get a firmer hold of something more reliable. The first thing I thought of was the top of the centre

section strut, which at that time was behind and below the Lewis gun, but as the machine was now

flying upside down, I had sufficient wits left to realize that it was behind and above me, though

where it was exactly I could not tell.

Dare I let go the drum with one hand and make a grab for it? Well, there was nothing else for it but

to take the risk; I let go and found the strut all right, and then I released my other hand and gripped

the strut on the other side. I was then in a more comfortable position, and at least I felt rather more

part of my machine than I had done in my original attitude.

My chin was rammed against the top plane, beside the gun, while my legs were waving about in

empty air. The Martynside was upside down in a flat spin, and from my precarious position the only

thing I could see was the propeller (which seemed unpleasantly close to my face), the town of

Menin, and the adjacent countryside. Menin and its environs were revolving at an impossible angle

—apparently above me—and getting larger with every turn. I began to wonder what sort of a spot I

was going to crash on.

Then I got angry and cursed myself for a fool for wasting time on such idle speculations, while at the

same time it dawned on me that my only chance of righting the machine lay in getting my feet into

the cockpit. If I could manage it, I knew that I was bound to fall automatically into the cockpit when

the machine came over.

I kept on kicking upwards behind me until at last I got first one foot and then the other hooked

inside the cockpit. Somehow I got the stick between my legs I again, do and jammed on full aileron

and elevator; not know exactly what happened then, but somehow the trick was done. The machine

came over the right way up, and I fell off the top plane into my seat with a bump.

I grabbed at the stick with both hands and thanked my lucky stars when I got hold of it Then to my

surprise I found myself unable to move it.

I suddenly realized that I was sitting much lower than usual inside the cockpit; in fact, I was so low

down that I could not see over the edge at all On investigation I found that the bump of my fall had

sent me right through my scat, with the result that I was sitting on the floor of the machine as well

as on the controls, which I was jamming. The cushion had fallen out when the machine turned

upside down, along with everything el.sc that was loose or had been kicked loose when I was trying

to find the stick with my feet.

Something had to be done quickly, as although the engine had stopped through lack of petrol when

the machine was upside down, it was now roaring away merrily and taking me down in a dive which

looked likely to end in the wood to the north of Menin. So I throttled back and braced my shoulders

against the top of the fuselage, and my feet against the rudder bar; then I pulled out the broken bits

of seat and freed the controls. Luckily I found them working all right, so that I was able to put the

machine's nose up and open the throttle again. I rose and cleared the trees on the Menin road with

very little to spare.

I did not trouble to climb any more, but just flew back along the Menin road. In my efforts to find the

control stick with my feet, I had smashed all the instruments on the dashboard, and as I gazed at the

damage, I wondered if I could ever make anyone realize how it had been done. I had only a very hazy

idea myself as to what had really happened, but I felt happy to be alive, and thought it simply

marvellous that I was still able to control the machine.

I hurried back to Abeele, without worrying about the increasing strain on the small of my back or the

futile shots that the Germans on the ground were sending after me. I went to bed early that night

and slept for a good solid twelve hours; but, Lord, how stiff I was the next day! It took a long time

before I was able to move about with any comfort. 

• Like 7

A few screen shots of aircraft from the film Breaking Point that was on Talking pics TV the other week. Principally  C-47 Dakota G-AMPZ (crashed in 2010 somewhere in Germany, I don't know if was completely written off) and Airspeed Consul G-AJNE. But with a few other views of aircraft at Gatwick airport in 1961.

post-5014-0-01529200-1510082215.jpg

post-5014-0-66348500-1510082230.jpg

post-5014-0-21260200-1510082248.jpg

post-5014-0-05578300-1510082273.jpg

post-5014-0-72795800-1510082298.jpg

post-5014-0-05332400-1510082319.jpg

post-5014-0-48983100-1510082332.jpg

post-5014-0-91382000-1510082367.jpg

post-5014-0-75785100-1510082391.jpg

post-5014-0-05987000-1510082393.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like a nice collection. The Javelin hiding behind the Lockheed Shooting Star was Gloster's last aircraft as a stand alone company, 1954.

It's definitely worth a visit. There are lots more aircraft and a great deal of fascinating historical material on show.

steve

• Like 1