Cornish Chronicles - St. Breward Junction

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick your new layout has just popped up on my radar and I will be following progress from the sidelines, good luck with the new venture.

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Nick,

I'm sure you must have plenty of C&L or Exactoscale chairs left over from Horrabridge, what about cutting them down and fitting to the points to make them blend in a little better?

I've seen people cut the sleepers and space them out as well, though I guess if you've gone that far you may as well go the whole way and just build them. Speaking of which, once you've done the first couple it really doesn't take as long as you think to solder up a point.

• RMweb Gold

Alternatively, Nick, you could try an experiment with one of the Peco points, remove the rails and solder them to a few strategically placed copper clad sleepers, with spacers between the rail and the sleepers. If that works, you could fill the gaps in with C&L plastic point timbers (or more copper clad sleepers) and then add cosmetic chairs. I can show you what I've been doing with Exactoscale ones of late, if you like.

Of course, you can get good results by careful ballasting and weathering etc., but my personal preference would be to go for point timbers and sleeper spacing that match the plain track.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Greetings,

I thought it was about time for an update, and a slight change of plan. Nothing radical, but something a little more achievable. 

When I heard about Peco's new Bullhead points, my initial thoughts were to use that track for St. Breward. However Peco suggested in a recent email that it they wouldn't be ready until the summer and I really want to crack on and see what would fit and work in the space this holiday.  

I've seen Chris Nevard and Andy P use bullhead flexible track, with Code 75 points to good effect on their layouts. So this morning, being the first day of the Easter holiday, I popped up to my local model shop and purchased a couple of additional lengths of Peco bullhead track and code 75 points and traps for a smaller version St. Breward Junction. I also bought a couple of sheets of A1 foam board, to use as a temporary surface, as I didn't want to dig the the two wooden boards out of the loft.

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender (3).jpg

I'm not totally convinced by the mixture of track myself, but having said that I think with careful painting, ballasting and weathering I think I can live with it. Even if I don't proceed with this combination, I do now have a much better idea of what will and won't work in the space that I have available. I might experiment with painting, ballasting and weathering a piece, just to see what it looks like over the next couple of days. If I don't like it, I will invest the time in building the 4 points and 2 traps out of C&L parts.

The original boards were a trio measuring 3ft by 1ft, however, I've opted to reduce this to 6ft by 1ft and move the siding to the rear of the set up, rather than the front. 

attachicon.gifIMG_3277.JPG

Anyway thoughts are welcome as always!

Kind regards,

Nick.

Good to see you back in action Nick.

Bgman of this parish has built some points using DCC Concepts parts, which to my eyes look good in the photos he has posted.

• RMweb Gold

Pity about Horrabridge, Nick, but hopefully this one will work out for you.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Horrabridge will be built, I just lack space currently to put the layout up - the foot print is 19ft by 11ft and really I barely have room for St. Breward's modest 6ft by 1ft. I've also never build a layout before, so need to learn everything from scratch. My plan was to 'learn' on a smaller project, before going straight in with the large one.

There are certain things I've struggled with, point building being one of them! It's daft, as I can build sprung wagon chassis in P4, with stupidly fiddly brake levers, but points, nope! I always seem to get something wrong. Mostly round the common crossing. I am considering building points for this project and tapping into Tim, both Brian's and John at DRAG, but I also would like to build something and not continually get part way through it and then find something doesn't work properly.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• 4 months later...

Shame about your dead Beattie Well tank. Are there any electrical experts at DRAG that could have a look?  Q:  Are you going DCC or DC?  That might determine the solution. If you are DC, some judicious rewiring could save the day, assuming the motor is ok.

I assume this is one of the Kernow Well Tanks. I had one which was dead. I was able to check with a meter that power was reaching the point where the pick up wires joined the motor but then nothing. A colleague looked at it for me and diagnosed a 'dry joint' on one of these joints. He applied a soldering iron and problem gone.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Will you be using the new Peco bullhead track and points?

I think so. I bought a set of points to see what they look like. I will try cutting the webs carefully to improve the ballasting; however, that won't be until Christmas I expect. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think so. I bought a set of points to see what they look like. I will try cutting the webs carefully to improve the ballasting; however, that won't be until Christmas I expect. 

That will be interesting to see.

I recommend securely glueing the timbers down before you cut the webs.

• 6 months later...