Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium

For the life of me, I can't seem to fathom out why Hornby's older A4 looks so much better than the newer one. There are subtle differences in the shape of Gresley's Bugatti Nose design on these models. The older one has more pronounced curves around the edges, is a little short and seems narrower between the lamp brackets.

The older one has many obvious faults too, such as: thick boiler bands (if that's what you can call them), there's also too many gaps under the foot plate (if that's what you can call it) that let through too much light. There is more of a forward drop in the profile between the mid-section and the chimney. The arch on the footplate is about 1mm higher on the older model as well. It could be that all this makes it look just a bit more aerodynamic than the prototype!

At first, I thought the glossy black paint made it look much smarter, which it does because (like has been discussed elsewhere) Hornby's paint is way to flat and plasticky looking! 

IMG_2818.jpg.3db5a520cede9f2c550e7e0b2c16593d.jpg   

Here's the Railroad Mallard. I know it's a cheaper model but am sure it uses the same molding as the more expensive mainstream range.

What is it with this? Is there just too much flat black that just seems to absorb all the light making it look a bit dull and boring.   

IMG_2815.jpg.f7923d730641d43ae24ffd010c1b8b01.jpg 

Either way, the blue looks so much more delightful than the GWR Brunswick green. I've never liked it on LNER engines, even when I first saw a A4 for the first time on the 1979 Hornby catalog at the age of 12 I didn't like it. The following year Hornby announced the release of Seagull in LNER garter blue and I was hooked!

Do hope that I'm not chewing the cud too much here...

Regards Shaun 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Sir Nigel Gresley is ready for duty, so when I get the garage warmed up there will be pictures! 

Cab has been detailed as much as possible.

IMG_2841.JPG.c856a4faba43eaed750ffbda464bc494.JPG

We awoke to an inch of snow this morning; I doubt very much that there will be an opportunity to get the primer on the next project.

Before the mojo slips away, I have decided to get a few long overdue projects finished. 

Some half-built brake van kits, LNER Ian Kirk Quintuplet set and 5 loco projects are on the list. These are things that will get done while in doors with the log burner going. Half a day is needed to get the woodwork shop ready for the next project in there, the Mill Towne baseboards! 🤭

Next up then is this ex-midland 2-4-0. To cut a long story short the Perseverance chassis comes from a failed build whereby I somehow managed to melt the body trying to dry the paint. Having acquired another Ratio kit. I'm melding the two together with lots of detailing.  

It might be a challenge to get some weight in it, something easily done to the tender. It might be worth putting pickups on that too.

IMG_2845.JPG.82cd2ae76b73cb1fc6819ad3a5ceed06.JPG

Tender has also had the molded coal removed and replaced with a bunker. 

IMG_2843.JPG.8d7f3020cf1fb4aeda6e8f33a816ecaf.JPG

Loco body has had a scratch-built Westinghouse pump fitted along with all the plumbing associated with it. I did consider replacing the fire box top with a square one from a Jinty doner to make a reboilered engine. Always up for something a bit different me!!

IMG_2842.JPG.a0e1078a449fe0c3b4c3ceb65ee3632a.JPG

Squatch.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Looking forward to this winter's modelling blitz, do like that Midland 2-4-0, my E1, gets a lot of work.

manna

Hi Manna. Ambitious plans I think!

Love to see a picture of your E1...

Managed to get the bearings fitted and the motor mounted. Two etch off-cuts were used to space the motor mount which I soldered to two medium top hat bearings. This leaves just the right amount of space for the gear!

Dry run was very smooth without any lubricant. I can spray it all now.

IMG_2850.JPG.ed66ce827bcb47d7c96efad6fceb828f.JPG

Here's two MR 2-4-0s, the second is a re-boilered engine. (I'm not sure that they were built like that but am pretty sure that's a fowler boiler and fire box. Perhaps someone with better knowledge of MR locomotives will shed light on it and correct me).

319295754_MR2-4-0.jpg.7dab6b604da972dc5171fecba98bd7a7.jpg

1557958713_Reboilered2-4-0.jpg.b5752bdae657de28d9b69ae85ed07e64.jpg

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The primer hasn't really dried overnight despite the info on the can saying "dry in 10 minutes". It's a new can that I haven't tried before and think that it has reacted with the plastic. It's been sitting near the wood stove too. Now I'm trying a fan to see if that helps.

IMG_2851.JPG.f523c71f173a82ce4afe3570a844a949.JPG

Squatch.  

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

The A4 sure looks nice in the BR blue,  one of my favorite paint schemes .  Great job on the model,  looks

most impressive with the teak coaches on the viaduct.  The little 2-4-0 is a nice loco,  wouldn't mind having

one of those in O.    Rain finally stopped......... for the moment.🙃   Felix

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

G'Day Folks

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been going through my collection of pictures of my loco's and builds, I've been through 1500 pics, thought I had more pics of the E1, here's a couple.

manna

DSCF5271.JPG

DSCF4516.jpg

DSCF4614.jpg

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Midland Railway 2-4-0 has now been given a coat of black.

While that's drying, the next project to have found its way from the modeling projects cupboard to the dining table/workbench is this kit. Me thinks it's a GWR double bolster wagon by D&S. It came free with another kit but without any instructions or floor.  Now all the bit and bobs to complete it have been acquired I feel like having a go at it. Despite having built 100s of rolling stock kits this is my first white metal one.

Has anyone ever built those compensated W iron assemblies or have instructions per se?

IMG_2865.JPG.12d5094800617bbdde36a85b45e22bf0.JPG

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

You can't beat a bit of double heading mate!

Are both the E1 and the D2 (GNR D1) your RTR conversions Manna?

Regards Shaun. 

G'Day Folks

Yes both are mine, and both converted from Hornby  GWR County class 4-4-0's, the D2 is actually a D3, but they are hard to tell apart, I'm looking for a cheap County chassis, next one will be a (LNER) D1, no rush I have plenty to do.

manna

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Lovely photos Shaun,   the A4 looks most impressive.

It is nice to get away from the internet.  One can start out intending to spend just a few

minutes looking at something,  and just like that,  a few hours are gone.  Time is hard enough to come by.

Best regards,  Felix

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/12/2022 at 20:53, aardvark said:

No worries, mate.  You take your time and do what you've got to do.

BTW: Lovely paint job on Sir Nige.

All my modeling time this year seems to have been eaten up with other things, especially firewood. I'm not going to complain because now it has turned cold were nice and cozy. I'm still working in the shop building cabinets because I want our house to be in ship shape condition when my mum is here. Her coming all this way on her own is quite a big deal. The family talk about nothing else and my brother choked on his dinner when she told him.

Thank you, BTW, I'm quite proud of that A4 and it has paved the way for some more repaints.   

Regards Shaun.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 05/12/2022 at 23:43, boxerbayrailway said:

Lovely photos Shaun,   the A4 looks most impressive.

It is nice to get away from the internet.  One can start out intending to spend just a few

minutes looking at something,  and just like that,  a few hours are gone.  Time is hard enough to come by.

Best regards,  Felix

Thank you!

That always seems to be the case. I've been spending my relaxation time watching too much YouTube instead of making models!

It's not a complete waste of time because I intend to put the layout on YouTube and am observing how all the other Youtubers go about it. Yourself included who I should add does an excellent presentation! 🤩  

Time is something I have plenty of, just got too many body (and now mind) issues, so am not very good at knuckling down to things.

Hope that you are well.

Regards Shaun. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

4 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Thank you!

That always seems to be the case. I've been spending my relaxation time watching too much YouTube instead of making models!

It's not a complete waste of time because I intend to put the layout on YouTube and am observing how all the other Youtubers go about it. Yourself included who I should add does an excellent presentation! 🤩  

Time is something I have plenty of, just got too many body (and now mind) issues, so am not very good at knuckling down to things.

Hope that you are well.

Regards Shaun. 

seeing the layout on YT would be cool. I rather enjoy watching Mouldy Raspberry

G'Day Folks

Been thinking (A Dangerous process) in the last pic of the J50 passing the platform space, could you not have removable platforms that would sit on the brackets on the viaduct, so you could change era's, GN, LNER with platforms, BR without. Just a thought !!

You Tube..........YUM.

manna

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Been thinking (A Dangerous process) in the last pic of the J50 passing the platform space, could you not have removable platforms that would sit on the brackets on the viaduct, so you could change era's, GN, LNER with platforms, BR without. Just a thought !!

You Tube..........YUM.

manna

That's not a bad idea, having already crossed my mind and found it quite problematic because of the curve! 

Edit: Come to think of it, the platforms were removed after closure to passenger traffic so it's not worth the bother considering there was only a couple of freight workings each day after that!

It would also be great to run things set in GNR days, alas I already have (Some would say) too much stock and to assemble the stock needed I'd need another lifetime. Having said that there will be the odd C1 with GNR coaching stock seen from time to time and on the other end of the scale many trains that would never have been seen at Queensbury including the odd diesel.

YouTube tomorrow, I need a break from cabinets and stuffing wood stoves!      

Heads up that it won't be Queensbury, not until it's finished.

Regards Shaun. 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

All my modeling time this year seems to have been eaten up with other things, especially firewood. I'm not going to complain because now it has turned cold were nice and cozy. I'm still working in the shop building cabinets because I want our house to be in ship shape condition when my mum is here. Her coming all this way on her own is quite a big deal. The family talk about nothing else and my brother choked on his dinner when she told him.

Thank you, BTW, I'm quite proud of that A4 and it has paved the way for some more repaints.   

Regards Shaun.

When my late Mum travelled, on her own, from Edinburgh to Sydney and back at the age of 79, we (my brother, actually) arranged for her to receive Special Assistance all the way, so she was pushed round in a wheelchair jumping all the queues like Lady Muck.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

When my late Mum travelled, on her own, from Edinburgh to Sydney and back at the age of 79, we (my brother, actually) arranged for her to receive Special Assistance all the way, so she was pushed round in a wheelchair jumping all the queues like Lady Muck.

Ditto! First class seat as well!!  She will be treated like lady muck when she's here too. Just the problem with spiders. Mum is an arachnophobe, one black widow and she'll have some sort of an attack, it won't need to actually bite🙄  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

If you're a Youtuber why not subscribe to the Grim-Up-North channel 😇

Hope that you enjoyed that extended video because it took up most of the day!

Squatch. 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

If you're a Youtuber why not subscribe to the Grim-Up-North channel 😇

Hope that you enjoyed that extended video because it took up most of the day!

Squatch. 

This is superb.
Regards,
Chris.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1