Grim-up-North; Goathland, Queensbury & Bradford.

Sasquatch

• RMweb Premium
On 01/08/2022 at 23:40, westerhamstation said:

Hi Shaun, good to hear that you are all safe after that storm, and that no fires were started by it. A really nice set of pictures showing some interesting angles. All the best Adrian.

Prior to our last contact, there is a fire not far from Interstate 5. All we know is that there a three 20-man ground crews' night and day, two helicopters and a bomber attacking it. Two firefighters have been severely injured. 

There was a meeting about this year's fire season in which all that was discussed was upcoming insurance changes. Stuff like removal of rose bushes and rhododendrons adjacent to houses, all really, really stupid when everyone lives in a forest of 200-foot-tall trees.

Everyone that went got frustrated and came away uninformed and angry. I honestly don't understand why they insist on keeping local resident tax paying citizens in the dark. Don't they realize people might want to make arrangements, like packing a life-times worth of work away. They need to remember who's paying their wages. The tax payer! 

It goes without saying of course that we are all eternally thankful, grateful and in awe with the fire crews. They make the rest of us look mighty inferior!

Regards Shaun.

I'll carry on working on the next video when I've finished putting all the trains away. 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Glad to hear that the fire is out.

I would go with the 'Shaun' buildings, unless you actually find photos of the original ones.

Agreed! What I think I'll do then is make two small lift- off scenes. That way if any changes come to pass, things will be easy. 

Thanks for the input Chris.

Regards Shaun.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Shaun, good to know that the fire is out and you are all safe, I think that sometimes it's easier to go with what you have got, rather than knock yourself out trying to build something that you have no real information about and you might not be happy with the end result. I like the idea of the lift off scenes. All the best Adrian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, westerhamstation said:

Hi Shaun, good to know that the fire is out and you are all safe, I think that sometimes it's easier to go with what you have got, rather than knock yourself out trying to build something that you have no real information about and you might not be happy with the end result. I like the idea of the lift off scenes. All the best Adrian.

If you have followed my Dunster thread, you might have spotted that it has quite a few lift-off sections. They are great for hiding the base board joints and very easy to work on especially if there is lots of detail. It also helps ease the amount of work that's needed to get things finished. I've been trying to catch up on the scenics on Queensbury and it isn't going very fast. Using two fairly nice structures that I already have is also a good way to get things moving along. One rule I have about my layouts is to get a bit fictitious outside of railway property anyway! The pub and house on Dunster are wills kits and Goathlands village under the viaduct is my own creation which some on here have offered their preference over the actual station, not to mention the Abbey, Castle etc. 

Regards Shaun.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Another day another tree. Each time they get a little bit better, I guess that's practice for ya!

The evening sunlight helps a lot.

IMG_2466.JPG.45d63530f3650985b00232cf79311c6b.JPG

Poly fiber and camo brown added.

IMG_2467.JPG.f4479e8bca6067fb73731b5910c6eb9b.JPG

Planted on the layout, the roots came out quite good.

IMG_2471.JPG.6eb8ed3f7c966a2f7c079c02b47e3ef0.JPG 

Here's a close up of Thompson's L1 67762 and it's crew. This engine visited Queensbury when some of the class were sent to Bradford. They didn't fare well on the Queensbury Lines' steep gradients and ended up on local empty stock workings. 

It must have caused quite a stir though, being what must have been the first apple green locomotive to be seen at Queensbury since GNR days!

IMG_2473.JPG.289accc822b46201d883d37611d67a3a.JPG

Enough for someone to take a photograph at least albeit in black & white!

13495639_1098887370168456_3206645162054029905_o.jpg.81a66f0ef8d1047b5e3d8889c6b82f10.jpg

62257936_IMG_2473-Copy.JPG.c0020a0d437d0e953020c9204e09bcab.JPG

The work at present, mostly trees bushes and ground cover, is being concentrated behind the Halifax-Keighley platform.

The two roads that see the most traffic for the time being!

IMG_2470.JPG.a5ad51ca63ddd45b532259b787fe508c.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG.031516a56cb83f77024ee669d3314633.JPG

IMG_2472.JPG.fceb4c8f9148d4428e43cfdfaef7b014.JPG

Squatch.    

Edited by Sasquatch
Note to self: Fix L1 numbering!!!
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

A distraction from the Queensbury scenic work had me beavering away all afternoon and evening yesterday.

The other day I took this picture but thought twice about posting it after seeing just how shabby the trees have become over the years. It's probably due to the sun pouring in through the old window which dried them to a crisp and bleached out the greenery.

IMG_2421.JPG.49860cc7129ce7fdbf98b412c724998d.JPG

Mrs. S. helped me make these back in 2009. This one looks positively drought ridden, even dead!

IMG_2476.JPG.e86a46c92a0d2a17300a9934cc1f4643.JPG 

They were made from ornamental bamboo berry sprigs, sisal and scatter. 

This one actually got binned. (R.I.P.) 

IMG_2477.JPG.9b8cf48650f6fc7cf9e38de877b417ed.JPG

My biggest problem is that I ran out of light green Noch leaves. After pulling off all that dead looking foliage, I sieved out the sisal and mixed in a bit of light green acrylic paint thinned with isopropyl alcohol. The old dry scatter soaked it up quickly and the alcohol evaporated so fast that it needed second treatment!

Some clumps of Woodland Scenics Poly-Fiber were added to the bamboo types. There's one here on the far left.

IMG_2480.JPG.106a58ad8990e4459b48fed2b560d7f0.JPG

The others are all Woodland Scenics plastic armature/poly-fiber species. All I did to these was give them a blast with Aqua-Net and add more reclaimed scatter.

IMG_2481.JPG.61f1876be16f7f05b9254ce986d47749.JPG

Some have been placed around the castle.

IMG_2484.JPG.d259f448190842f5535984a015628c35.JPG

IMG_2486.JPG.90e11426493b2e551f677a6982ffe6d2.JPG

After making, finishing and revamping about 50 trees, I'd just started painting the trunks and planting them when Mrs. S. dragged me away by my ear way past bedtime. 🙄

So more later...   

Squatch.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Shaun,

I know Rule 1 always applies but the photo of the real L1 67762 shows her to be wearing Lined BR Black livery!

Sorry to be a pain

Paul

Hi Paul. It is hard to tell.

I deduced that it was green because there is only one light coloured line. Standard British Railways mixed traffic livery had 5/8” of Grey, 1/8” of Cream, 1 ½” break of Black and ¼” of Red and I don't see that so thought it must be green! 

The photo dates from 1949 so I doubt it's black anyway. If you care to download the image and zoom in on the chap in the middle, it's possible to make out the LNER badge on his cap!!

Remember, Thompson wanted all his loco fleet painted green. He was quite a modern thinker for his time I believe. Although the L1s were a mixed traffic class (albeit quite wimpy for their size) they were still leaving the shops in apple green under BR!

I tread very carefully because LNER livery is a minefield and I have found some people can get very irate about the subject. Even getting banned from RMweb. 

Thanks for showing interest, I like people getting involved😀

Regards Shaun   

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Shaun,

I know Rule 1 always applies but the photo of the real L1 67762 shows her to be wearing Lined BR Black livery!

Sorry to be a pain

Paul

45 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Hi Paul. It is hard to tell.

I deduced that it was green because there is only one light coloured line. Standard British Railways mixed traffic livery had 5/8” of Grey, 1/8” of Cream, 1 ½” break of Black and ¼” of Red and I don't see that so thought it must be green! 

The photo dates from 1949 so I doubt it's black anyway. If you care to download the image and zoom in on the chap in the middle, it's possible to make out the LNER badge on his cap!!

Remember, Thompson wanted all his loco fleet painted green. He was quite a modern thinker for his time I believe. Although the L1s were a mixed traffic class (albeit quite wimpy for their size) they were still leaving the shops in apple green under BR!

I tread very carefully because LNER livery is a minefield and I have found some people can get very irate about the subject. Even getting banned from RMweb. 

Thanks for showing interest, I like people getting involved😀

Regards Shaun   

Further to that, I see that the lining style doesn't fit either livery????

Is it possible that the loco was sent out with incomplete lining.

Like I said, minefield!  

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Shaun,

Sorry to be a pain

Paul

Paul. I do believe that you're right!😌 (Grovels for forgiveness etc.)  

67762 was built by NBL in 1948/49 by which time apple green would have been dropped by BR. That would make it almost brand spanking in that Photograph!

Now I'm going to have to look out for a black one and renumber the green one.

Really good-looking locomotive either way. One of my favorites actually and you can understand why I got excited seeing a picture of one at Queensbury. At bit too excited in fact and renumbered my green one before studying the photo carefully. 

Incidentally, F,J, Roaches' Oct, 1948 drawing of number 9000 depicts simple    N    E   shaded lettering above the    9000.

If that's right, it might make for an interesting model.

Thanks for pointing that out BTW, I've enjoyed studying the L1 on the internet. It got me out of the sun shoveling dirt!!!🙏 

Regards Shaun. 

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 7

14 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Paul. I do believe that you're right!😌 (Grovels for forgiveness etc.)  

67762 was built by NBL in 1948/49 by which time apple green would have been dropped by BR. That would make it almost brand spanking in that Photograph!

Now I'm going to have to look out for a black one and renumber the green one.

Really good-looking locomotive either way. One of my favorites actually and you can understand why I got excited seeing a picture of one at Queensbury. At bit too excited in fact and renumbered my green one before studying the photo carefully. 

Incidentally, F,J, Roaches' Oct, 1948 drawing of number 9000 depicts simple    N    E   shaded lettering above the    9000.

If that's right, it might make for an interesting model.

Thanks for pointing that out BTW, I've enjoyed studying the L1 on the internet. It got me out of the sun shoveling dirt!!!🙏 

Regards Shaun. 

Shaun,

No need to apologize.  It seems I’ve sparked your curiosity to the extent that you need to obtain a second L1. If I recall correctly, the first 30 locomotives came out in green. I suspect the Contractor built loco’s were all delivered in lined black.

As for the Crewman with his LNER cap badge, it may have been due to BR taking time to decide on the emblem or he is a defiant railway man who prefers the old order?  I used to work with a Train Driver, who would not wear any part of the provided uniform, instead he wore any uniform he chose from his collection from different countries around the world!!!! The Russian outfit used to stop and make people think.

Paul

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

You would think that after adding 50 odd trees and 2 square feet of brambles etc. there would be some drastic changes to the layout. 

Queensbury...

IMG_2499.JPG.06fd7a40467a8e05e13a53854c963454.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG.0c7cdfd621a2cbc2d40ede28e1dfd609.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG.d242d22b431412b7fc41ecb4d3bce420.JPG

...and the news trees on Goathland.

IMG_2496.JPG.c21d77262d2fe9dae3b9ae01c510bd28.JPG

IMG_2493.JPG.cd5507526af9769fafa07299c755cd22.JPG

IMG_2497.JPG.3879fbcc8cc22012a5bd720b8934636e.JPG

IMG_2494.JPG.a16cacc035d18461b2eef983a80f3469.JPG

Going to need another 40 odd trees and about 4-5 feet of brambles. Not to mention 100s of those flippin' willow herb weeds.

Squatch

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, aardvark said:

I discovered this:

spacer.png

Crikey mate. Just the ticket for a spruce up after you've been out in the bush diggin' through termite mounds for ya tucker I reckon!😊

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Fire weed or willowherb production needs ramping up a bit. This afternoon during the 100-degree heat I shut myself in the train shed with the aircon on full wack and tried few methods.

The one bristle-at-a-time method is too slow. Sisal string works quite well but is a bit too fiddly and still not quick enough.

After a bit of head scratching, I tried various scraps of wire. The one settled upon is sturdy 7 strand internet type. The stuff I use for long runs from the CDU to the SEEPs, so there's a fair few off cuts knocking about.

Method is simple. Working with two at a time, the wire is held in pliers and stripped down about 8mm. The copper strands teased into a plant shape and coated with a mix of PVA and burnt orange acrylic.

This is dipped sharpish fasion into the tub of fireweed mix. 

The plastic coating is held with tweezers and cut about 10mm below and poked into a hole made with a small broach.

IMG_2513.JPG.65db0a01520ace5b78e2d4401a364b37.JPG

Couple of trains for your enjoyment this evening include...

...J39 hauling a CCT parcels and solitary passenger coach waits for the road before being allowed to continue to Bradford.

IMG_2502.JPG.723b7986e75eadaa1af4f69162c4ca3d.JPG

Just what I've been aiming for. A melange of West Riding grimy architecture and LNER style!

IMG_2508.JPG.f2c8fa12201cc7c7be5617f50cfc7dd4.JPG

GNR atlantic on the curve with an excursion bound for the seaside.

IMG_2509.JPG.1410e50c10803293b3b1ee60966ae0f2.JPG

Must get back to the weeds. Apparently, willowherb is edible.

Squatch

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Every evening this week I have found a relaxing 45 minutes to put on a cassette tape and make more rosebay willowherb.

So much so that Mike Gardener thinks the weed is becoming a real problem.

IMG_2517.JPG.4e0582b1f1eb9f1d478bdaef50547e70.JPG

Quite interesting what can be done with 5 inches of ISDN cable and a little patience!

Squatch

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1