3D Transfers: The Next Generation

railtec-models

Early AC electric numbers/cast BR emblems, BR shed plaques,WC/BB names & crests would go pretty well id say.

Thinking a bit differently, how about windscreen wipers for diesels & DMU's? I imagine you could do them a lot finer than either current rtr ones or etched aftermarket ones?

James

Thanks James - this is really useful. Hadn't thought of early ACs; we'd love to do those.

When you say BR shed plaques - do you mean something different to, e.g. 82A?

Re WC/BB names and crests - excuse my ignorance but could you elaborate?

Also hadn't considered windscreen wipers. Love this idea. Will think about how this could be done. I wonder if there is a windscreen wiper geek amongst us who might know if these are all standard?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve

No name plates for Hymeks - its those pesky numbers please!

Don't forget Warships - Name plates only, numbers can be transfers

For Warships needs both red and black versions for each loco - Westerns only need red for Explorer/Pioneer/Crusader/Ranger/Yeoman/Emperor/Empress/Sovereign, and black for all 74

Phil

Thanks James - this is really useful. Hadn't thought of early ACs; we'd love to do those.

When you say BR shed plaques - do you mean something different to, e.g. 82A?

Re WC/BB names and crests - excuse my ignorance but could you elaborate?

Also hadn't considered windscreen wipers. Love this idea. Will think about how this could be done. I wonder if there is a windscreen wiper geek amongst us who might know if these are all standard?

Hi Steve, sorry typing on my phone whilst watching tele! For BR shed plaques i was neaning the later large square plates on 56's, 58's etc: https://goo.gl/images/k124cl

Dont know if thats the full set but itl be close, link is to a pic on the class 58 preservation guys.

For wc/bb, thats the old Bulleid west country,battle of britain &merchant navy classes either streamlined or non streamlined they had name plates and big painted plaques too:

https://goo.gl/images/qFtWxu

As for the windscreen wipers, im sure there will be plenty of info to be tapped out of us on RMweb,im no expert but im sure someone will be! Hope the above clarifies a bit

Cheers

James

<snip> what else are on people's wishlists other than what we already have below?

Hi Steve.

This looks really interesting. I suggest chequer plate as used on the steps of diesel locos. Could be printed as a big sheet and cut to size by customer.

Will be ordering again from you soon!

Cheers

Hi Steve.

This looks really interesting. I suggest chequer plate as used on the steps of diesel locos. Could be printed as a big sheet and cut to size by customer.

Cheers

Second the chequer plate idea too.

• RMweb Gold

I have had some more thoughts about signs etc with raised lettering that this process seems so suitable for:

Those cast-iron plates warning trespassers on the railway - still to be seen today, and each pre (and post) grouping company had its own design.

As an extension of the signalbox nameboards, station nameboards were also made by screwing cast iron letters to boards.

The previous generation of roadsigns (warning of bends etc) were standard cast rectangles with raised lettering, surmounted by a cut out red triangle. Need to commission/team up with someone to produce the blank plates, triangles and poles.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Just an off the wall thought if raised details possible how about raised window frames for Farish flush sided coaches - a full length stripe of body colour/ clear with frames for windows to allow one shot overlay on current stock given delays in new models might help the upgraders - first off would be a DBSO !  or a 158?.

Steve - This looks a great move  in getting new models out and about so thanks.

On the name plate front I guess "Peco" the newly named  56 would be good !!

Cheers and keep up the good work and like you looking for the 8 day week - my employeer seems to have found it however this week

Robert   

Other idea for this. How about wagon label clips and wagon plates? Or seeing how much it would cost to make a alternative to archer rivet transferes. These could be made as a row with a sheet having different prototype spacing (a rivet every inch/2 inch etc). One for window frame surrounds sounds like a good ides. It might be possible to do a transfer to represent the weld lines on the roofs of MK1 type stock, to replace the over scale ones on the Bachmann coaches. Or here's a real crazy idea, how about providing a key board for a scale PC, as the real life keyboards are not flat (I put the last one in as a joke, I think that might be a step too far even for the most dedicated p4 modeller).

Thanks for all the continued responses. Seems like there's a lot of enthusiasm around the concept.

Hi Steve

No name plates for Hymeks - its those pesky numbers please!

Don't forget Warships - Name plates only, numbers can be transfers

For Warships needs both red and black versions for each loco - Westerns only need red for Explorer/Pioneer/Crusader/Ranger/Yeoman/Emperor/Empress/Sovereign, and black for all 74

Phil

Ah yes - Hymek numbers and Warship plates. Thanks for the specific info there Phil - it's info like this which can really speed things up.

Hi Steve, sorry typing on my phone whilst watching tele! For BR shed plaques i was neaning the later large square plates on 56's, 58's etc: https://goo.gl/images/k124cl
Dont know if thats the full set but itl be close, link is to a pic on the class 58 preservation guys.

For wc/bb, thats the old Bulleid west country,battle of britain &merchant navy classes either streamlined or non streamlined they had name plates and big painted plaques too:
https://goo.gl/images/qFtWxu

As for the windscreen wipers, im sure there will be plenty of info to be tapped out of us on RMweb,im no expert but im sure someone will be! Hope the above clarifies a bit
Cheers
James

Oh yes definitely to the sub-sector plaques. The West Country bits would need testing and would be further down the line, subject to tests being satisfactory of course. Loving the ideas - these are things we wouldn't have necessarily thought of.

Hi Steve.

Cheers

Definitely going to be testing these. Hadn't considered a notion of a large sheet to be cut to size, was more thinking of the ready-made size(s) for Network Rail 57s as an example, but there's no reason why we couldn't offer both to cover all bases.

PS guess this is what Steve means re shed plaques

http://www.depotplaques.com/

Not sure those are originals though!

Phil

Thanks Phil. Had deferred releasing these as conventional transfers even in 2mm simply because of etched variants that are available, but now the tech is there then it's something we intend to pursue.

could you try door opening buttons for units and powered doors, late posting boxes for tpo vans, door interlock lights on coaches and units.

Great idea. Post boxes for TPOs may need someone to help us with good images and dimensions though. I think we did climb all over one of these at Didcot with a tape measure but I doubt we measured the actual post box or even took detailed shots of it.

I have had some more thoughts about signs etc with raised lettering that this process seems so suitable for:

Those cast-iron plates warning trespassers on the railway - still to be seen today, and each pre (and post) grouping company had its own design.

As an extension of the signalbox nameboards, station nameboards were also made by screwing cast iron letters to boards.

The previous generation of roadsigns (warning of bends etc) were standard cast rectangles with raised lettering, surmounted by a cut out red triangle. Need to commission/team up with someone to produce the blank plates, triangles and poles.

Great ideas.

Hi,

Just an off the wall thought if raised details possible how about raised window frames for Farish flush sided coaches - a full length stripe of body colour/ clear with frames for windows to allow one shot overlay on current stock given delays in new models might help the upgraders - first off would be a DBSO !  or a 158?.

Steve - This looks a great move  in getting new models out and about so thanks.

On the name plate front I guess "Peco" the newly named  56 would be good !!

Cheers and keep up the good work and like you looking for the 8 day week - my employeer seems to have found it however this week

Robert   

Hey Robert, really interesting idea re a full transfer to cover a coach for window frames. They could be tricky to apply (possibly) and require micron precision in terms of the print but we're definitely willing to explore it.

Other idea for this. How about wagon label clips and wagon plates? Or seeing how much it would cost to make a alternative to archer rivet transferes. These could be made as a row with a sheet having different prototype spacing (a rivet every inch/2 inch etc). One for window frame surrounds sounds like a good ides. It might be possible to do a transfer to represent the weld lines on the roofs of MK1 type stock, to replace the over scale ones on the Bachmann coaches. Or here's a real crazy idea, how about providing a key board for a scale PC, as the real life keyboards are not flat (I put the last one in as a joke, I think that might be a step too far even for the most dedicated p4 modeller).

Love those ideas. The PC keyboard would be an interesting one. Sometimes what might sound like a crazy idea can lead to some good innovation. Gets us thinking outside the box.

If you go into GW plates to P4 standards I'd love to stock them as an alternate range to my own etched ones. 

If there's a market then absolutely. I'll PM you.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the continued responses. Seems like there's a lot of enthusiasm around the concept.

Hey Robert, really interesting idea re a full transfer to cover a coach for window frames. They could be tricky to apply (possibly) and require micron precision in terms of the print but we're definitely willing to explore it.

If you can do a whole coach side, with door handles, grab handles and door hinges as well, then all you'd need is a series of plain transparent coach outlines and you've got a range of coaches.

Great idea. Post boxes for TPOs may need someone to help us with good images and dimensions though. I think we did climb all over one of these at Didcot with a tape measure but I doubt we measured the actual post box or even took detailed shots of it.

I can supply you with a photo of the post box that may be of use, but no measurements I'm afraid.

17020338371_2ee69770b3_h.jpgBBR9-034 by Paul James, on Flickr

Photos af some of the crest and other markings are on the Flickr site if you visit it.

Paul J.

Dear Railtec-models 

With regards 3d transfers is it possible to do multiple unit nameplates like EDINBURGH— BATHGATE 1986-1996 as was fitted on Class 150/2 in Scotland see the the railway centre encyclopedia of railway names page 3 of e section pdf.

and The class 320 emus examples here: http://www.the-siding.co.uk/class320/pictures/320305.jpg and http://www.the-siding.co.uk/class320/pages/320306.htm

Dear Railtec-models 

With regards 3d transfers is it possible to do multiple unit nameplates like EDINBURGH— BATHGATE 1986-1996 as was fitted on Class 150/2 in Scotland see the the railway centre encyclopedia of railway names page 3 of e section pdf.

and The class 320 emus examples here: http://www.the-siding.co.uk/class320/pictures/320305.jpg and http://www.the-siding.co.uk/class320/pages/320306.htm

Hi Redkiterail, I don't have the link to hand for the PDF you mention, though the nameplate for 320306 would certainly be straight-forward. What we'll likely do at some point in the near future is make a generic pack available for a 3D standard style BR name where people can choose whatever name they like (and it wouldn't matter if it was a fictional name or not - it'd be the same price). Before the new tech was installed we did this for names as conventional transfers; we just need to mirror that pack with its 3D counterpart.

With the kind permission of Andy:

For several months we've been exploring how to leverage state-of-the-art technology to push the boundaries of our hobby, how to offer something which hasn't been done or thought of before. We're delighted to announce that after an eye-watering expenditure we've now installed technology which is game changing in more ways than one. Its various capabilities will become evident over time, and the purpose of this post is to tell you about one of those, which is a new concept in modelling: 3D transfers.

Before we get to the good bit, there are some other benefits worth mentioning:

1. On new packs and custom work going forward, transfers will now be spot printed by a completely new process. This means that the carrier will only be present where it needs to be. This in itself isn't ground-breaking because others have been doing it for years albeit with screen printing (which seems archaic compared to the new tech), but we know it's something a lot of people have asked for.

2. We can now be much more flexible in terms of quality and variety of colours, scales and variety of liveries. Providing we have sufficient artwork then no design will (should) be impossible.

3. Lead times particularly for complex requests will be vastly reduced.

It's also worth reiterating that none of our transfers require a separate white base layer. Everything is contained all in the one transfer for maximum ease.

Now, here are a couple of photos of our 3D transfers - and recent packs - which have already been described by magazines and customers as "crisper and more user friendly than etched" as the level of detail possible even includes rivet holes where the plates are bolted to the loco. The plates are raised, as are the border and text - just like the real thing. They slide off just as normal waterslide transfers, require no time delicately filing off a sprue, and are also more economical than other variants.

R37402-1.jpg

3d-name3.jpg

But the technology isn't just limited to nameplates. Anything with raised detail should be possible (within reason), so steam loco cast numberplates, wagon plates, aluminium loco steps, brickwork, even rivetting. Exciting times ahead and we hope this new step forward will help advance everyone's modelling.Disclaimer: We know there is a hefty outstanding list of requests for custom work and new packs - and we will get to them all eventually even if there may be lengthy periods of seeming inactivity (we consistently work around 90hrs every week). We thank those folks who understand and continue to respect the absolute crippling demand on a very limited and niche resource by helping to keep our Inbox and chatboxes free so that we can crack on with helping everybody out.

Sorry for the quote inclusion here in this post, but I thought I'd add my tuppence worth.............simply put...........WOW!

This is a game changer!

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

If you can do a whole coach side, with door handles, grab handles and door hinges as well, then all you'd need is a series of plain transparent coach outlines and you've got a range of coaches.

Going a step further, a complete vehicle side/end as a transfer, that could be floated onto a plain piece of plastikard, and then the carrier film cut through the window apertures. Sort of the ultimate scratch building aid (although possibly not really scratch building any more...)

Archived