3D Transfers: The Next Generation

railtec-models

With the kind permission of Andy:

For several months we've been exploring how to leverage state-of-the-art technology to push the boundaries of our hobby, how to offer something which hasn't been done or thought of before. We're delighted to announce that after an eye-watering expenditure we've now installed technology which is game changing in more ways than one. Its various capabilities will become evident over time, and the purpose of this post is to tell you about one of those, which is a new concept in modelling: 3D transfers.

Before we get to the good bit, there are some other benefits worth mentioning:

1. On new packs and custom work going forward, transfers will now be spot printed by a completely new process. This means that the carrier will only be present where it needs to be. This in itself isn't ground-breaking because others have been doing it for years albeit with screen printing (which seems archaic compared to the new tech), but we know it's something a lot of people have asked for.

2. We can now be much more flexible in terms of quality and variety of colours, scales and variety of liveries. Providing we have sufficient artwork then no design will (should) be impossible.

3. Lead times particularly for complex requests will be vastly reduced.

It's also worth reiterating that none of our transfers require a separate white base layer. Everything is contained all in the one transfer for maximum ease.

Now, here are a couple of photos of our 3D transfers - and recent packs - which have already been described by magazines and customers as "crisper and more user friendly than etched" as the level of detail possible even includes rivet holes where the plates are bolted to the loco. The plates are raised, as are the border and text - just like the real thing. They slide off just as normal waterslide transfers, require no time delicately filing off a sprue, and are also more economical than other variants.

R37402-1.jpg

3d-name3.jpg

But the technology isn't just limited to nameplates. Anything with raised detail should be possible (within reason), so steam loco cast numberplates, wagon plates, aluminium loco steps, brickwork, even rivetting. Exciting times ahead and we hope this new step forward will help advance everyone's modelling.

Disclaimer: We know there is a hefty outstanding list of requests for custom work and new packs - and we will get to them all eventually even if there may be lengthy periods of seeming inactivity (we consistently work around 90hrs every week). We thank those folks who understand and continue to respect the absolute crippling demand on a very limited and niche resource by helping to keep our Inbox and chatboxes free so that we can crack on with helping everybody out.

One of the first tests we made, below. Some of the magazines will also be imminently running a piece.

3d-name.jpg

Very impressive! I can see a lot of possibilities in that process for producing small raised detail, such as worksplates and shedplates. It would make application of such detail a hell of a lot easier. look forward to seeing more .

Paul J.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, an end to the steam loco smokebox door number plate issue at last. Use conventional transfers and you don't get the relief effect replicating the cast numbers, use etched plates and you get the number in bare metal finish, which many, including me, find difficult to convert to the correct white. Keep us informed please, I've quite a few locos that could do with new smokebox door plates. Then there are cast shedcode plates, which of course carry over to early diesels as well.

• RMweb Gold

Excellent development Steve.

I'd always been slightly disappointed by the lack of relief in etched name/numberplates. The entire Western fleet on one sheet? Wow that would be a key purchase for me. Without wanting to start an extended wishlist, the possibilities of this technology could see a massive renaming session for many of us I suspect of our diesel/steam fleets.

Did I mention Hymek numerals are a pig to do using etched numbers? A 3D transfer of the fleet in both 4mm and 2mm would also be fantastic.

Wish list mode /off.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Can you do a brass effect as well?

Thinking this technology might be the ideal way to deal with renaming Hornby GW steam locos, where they have printed the name onto an etched plate / splasher with a raised lip around the edge (but no raised letters)

Isn't a problem.

Good to know as I was wondering if by softening the decal would the crispness of the raised detail be effected.

Would you recommend varnishing the decals after application or are the inks resilient to paint thinners (thinking about enamel or lacquer based weathering washes)?

Jonathan 

Ah, an end to the steam loco smokebox door number plate issue at last. Use conventional transfers and you don't get the relief effect replicating the cast numbers, use etched plates and you get the number in bare metal finish, which many, including me, find difficult to convert to the correct white. Keep us informed please, I've quite a few locos that could do with new smokebox door plates. Then there are cast shedcode plates, which of course carry over to early diesels as well.

These haven't been tested yet but if we can do nameplates then these should be very easily do-able as it's just two colours. Probably the biggest challenge for us - which will no doubt be a doddle to many informed folk here - will be figuring out whether 4" or 5" numerals are required as I seem to recall they differed depending on region(?) and/or era. If that does indeed turn out to be the biggest obstacle then I'd say with some confidence that we'll probably be absolutely fine!

I am after name plates for a particular class 73.

What sort of lead times are you experiencing at the moment?

For nameplates, it's pretty quick. Put it this way - when 37558 Vulcan was unveiled we had the plates printed by Saturday afternoon. There is inevitably always a wait time on custom jobs but I'd say for a standard nameplate then something like 10 days at present, though we have been known to knock out even custom plates within a couple of days. It depends what else we've got on but that should hopefully give you a ball-park.

Excellent development Steve.

I'd always been slightly disappointed by the lack of relief in etched name/numberplates. The entire Western fleet on one sheet? Wow that would be a key purchase for me. Without wanting to start an extended wishlist, the possibilities of this technology could see a massive renaming session for many of us I suspect of our diesel/steam fleets.

Did I mention Hymek numerals are a pig to do using etched numbers? A 3D transfer of the fleet in both 4mm and 2mm would also be fantastic.

Wish list mode /off.

Neil

There's no reason why we can't release packs for the Western and Hymek fleets, though whether we'd put everything on one sheet is something we'd need to think about and discuss. We're keen to avoid waste and forcing folks down the route of paying for large packs when they may only need to use a couple of transfers, but perhaps there will be scope to offer both avenues. We'll need to sit down and figure out what will be required and take it from there. We're happy to be flexible though.

Can you do a brass effect as well?

Thinking this technology might be the ideal way to deal with renaming Hornby GW steam locos, where they have printed the name onto an etched plate / splasher with a raised lip around the edge (but no raised letters)

Yet to be tested. It wouldn't be a "reflective" brass as that would ultimately need a metal component, but I don't see why we couldn't make some tests to achieve a brass colour as opposed to a brass "effect", if that makes sense. If there's a market for it, we'd definitely consider it.

Good to know as I was wondering if by softening the decal would the crispness of the raised detail be effected.

Would you recommend varnishing the decals after application or are the inks resilient to paint thinners (thinking about enamel or lacquer based weathering washes)?

Jonathan 

We haven't tested with every permutation and concoction of product that's out there (which would be quite a challenge), but to our knowledge they withstand pretty much everything within reason, i.e. I wouldn't recommend soaking in brake fluid overnight, but the tech is intended to be as bullet-proof as it can be.

could it be used for grill details to convert coaching stock for engineering trains

That'd be an interesting test. You mean like grilles on Network Rail coaches? We don't see why not, but we're not going to commit to that until we've done some testing.

Can someone find us a few more hours in each day, please?!

[usual disclaimer applies per the original post]

Must admit it was an unfair question regarding weathering and resilience to thinners given we all have our own brew.

Would you considered producing lined boiler bands?

Jonathan

Of course. If we can have detail such as specific dimensions and colours then it makes our job a lot easier in terms of getting a pack out there. We try to have as broad and as deep a knowledge as possible on all aspects of everything on rails from pioneering through to the present day, but inevitably there will be gaps.

Hi Steve,

A very interesting development. What is the resolution like - would they be suitable for N at 1:148 scale?

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben, we believe so, yes. We've already sold a few plates in 2mm scale and customers seem very happy. Once we saw that we could get the really fine rivets on 4mm plates to denote where the plates are bolted to the loco, we figured we'd try an offering in 2mm and we weren't disappointed. But of course it's not really for us to say - it's for each individual to assess and expectations can vary massively, but at least feedback so far has been very encouraging.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve,

I have just been to your website. Is there any way of telling at a glance which 2mm sets use the new 3D technology? I couldn't find anything, but I may have been looking in the wrong way, or the wrong place.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Steve,

I have just been to your website. Is there any way of telling at a glance which 2mm sets use the new 3D technology? I couldn't find anything, but I may have been looking in the wrong way, or the wrong place.

Cheers

Ben A.

Any packs which use the 3D technology will say in the product description, as it's a new concept and therefore will likely need some explanation. So far there are just a handful of 4mm packs which are stock items; the 2mm variants we've sent out the door have all been custom requests. They will gradually start appearing over time however.

Guest eddie reffin

Hi Ben, here is a pic of my 37403 done using the latest transfers from Steve. So much easier than etched plates.

post-3930-0-57678200-1470948659_thumb.jpeg

Okay, so we can begin to take a holistic view of how we can maybe advance a 3D catalog, what else are on people's wishlists other than what we already have below?

- works plates
- shed plates
- steam loco smokebox door plates
- steam loco cast number plates
- signal name boards (these would need to be made to order, which isn't a problem)
- Western loco pack(s) - number plates / name plates
- Hymek loco pack(s) - numbers (transfers only?) / name plates
- Grilles for departmental stock

Early AC electric numbers/cast BR emblems, BR shed plaques,WC/BB names & crests would go pretty well id say.

Thinking a bit differently, how about windscreen wipers for diesels & DMU's? I imagine you could do them a lot finer than either current rtr ones or etched aftermarket ones?

James

Archived