56T Tyne Dock / Consett hoppers

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone have any pics (or source of pics/ info) showing the 56T Consett Trip ore wagon as running in c.1960. I'm wanting to know about the markings at that time (wagon number etc). My Bradwell kit gives excellent prototypical info but is not that date precise re. markings. My very vague memories of the actual thing at Consett seem to tell me that you couldn't see any markings as the wagon was covered in dust/muck. However I would presume that the wagon number would have been made clear every trip by the Guard?

Thanks, 36E

• RMweb Premium

BRILL Summer special No8 of 1999 from Irwell press has an article on the traffic and includes a poorly scanned copy of the official of the prototype wagon.

Mark Saunders

Thanks Mark. I'll probably just weather heavily!!!!!!!

36E

• 2 weeks later...

You can get kits from Dave Alexander, who is based in Inverness

They are about £25 each, i got one for my Brother in law for Christmas

Look at Blackgill for pictures of the hoppers

Regards

Karl

Good colour shots in 'North Eastern Steam' Maurice Johnson, pub Ian Allan. The wagons are 'tones of jeweller's rouge' all over, just a hint of a lighter patch toward the left hand end, which may be where some wiping has happened to reveal the wagon number.

Apologies if this is just too obvious, but nobody has given the actual numbers...

B 446000 to B 446029 (diagram 1/182, lot 2312, Shildon 1951). Thus, by 1960 they would be very workworn.

The works photo has the following on the left-hand hopper panel: 56 T above the wagon number and IRON ORE (large letters) above TO WORK BETWEEN TYNE DOCK / AND CONSETT ONLY. Only the tare (illegible) is on the right-hand panel.

Thanks,

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Apologies if this is just too obvious, but nobody has given the actual numbers...

B 446000 to B 446029 (diagram 1/182, lot 2312, Shildon 1951). Thus, by 1960 they would be very workworn.

The works photo has the following on the left-hand hopper panel: 56 T above the wagon number and IRON ORE (large letters) above TO WORK BETWEEN TYNE DOCK / AND CONSETT ONLY. Only the tare (illegible) is on the right-hand panel.

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks for the extra info gentlemen especially Aberdeen Bill. Just for info, I have one rather manky wagon which came from that auction site but cost nowt and I've invested in a kit from Mr B. Got my new/replacement EM wheels from A. Gibson and the buffers (including two replacements for the manky one!) are coming from Mr Hartshorne at York Show! If anyone is intersted I found loads of pics in my various books on 9Fs and I have a great video with TD Consett shots. I return to the BLACKGILL postings every so often just to admire the whole thing; WHAT A LAYOUT!:)

My reason for just wanting one or two is that; 1. I actually saw these trains at Consett; 2. I'm going to have a couple on my NE area layout being towed to/from works!!!!!

Sincerely Phil R.

• RMweb Premium

Locomotives Illustrated No 5 and 75 which are about the 9F's have a lot of pictures but no close ups of the wagons. In No 5 there is a colour painting as the 2 page centre spread which probably refletcs their well weathered state.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I only have two photos of these wagons, both in the same train. As you remarked they were always pretty dirty and iron ore dust did not help. The lines at Low Fell were lined both sides with this dust.

I have played around with the photos and the markings can be discerned albeit faintly.

Hope these two help.

Just for good measure I have added the full frame of the last wagon in the train. These were returning empty to Tyne Dock.

post-6751-126971854629_thumb.jpg

post-6751-126971869207_thumb.jpg

post-6751-12697192675_thumb.jpg

• 6 years later...

Archived