The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Extractor Ants

34theletterbetweenB&D

For a couple of months now, my dear wife has complained of occasional ants in the kitchen, and has pointed them out to me. I had been of the opinion that these were most probably introduced on the soft fruit; it is a rare summer day we don't pick some, and it comes into the house via the kitchen naturally enough.

But now I suspect differently, because three times in a week I have found one inside the extractor hood, which is connected to an externally vented extraction system, and no part of this system has the soft fruiit bought anywhere near it. They are not on view at the intake or exhaust ends of the inside of the duct to an inspection by torch, and access to more of the duct would be destructive (as in first make large hole in ceiling or lift many floor boards) as it runs in a flame proof trunking in the underfloor void.

What to do? Send a 'cloud' of Borax powder into the duct every day until ant non-appearance is achieved? Haven't found any good suggestions via Google...

There is no easy answer, a friend who is a Chef had the same problem in a restaurant kitchen, and the only answer is to trace the ants nest outside and clear it out. You can try ant poison around the vent outside, but don't drench the whole thing in chemicals inside. Do not in any way obstruct the vent or cover it with a cloth etc., it may affect the vent, but as it is only an extractor, not connected to a heater system, a fine wire mesh in brass could be fitted with due care to block the ants. Such mesh is available on ebay and from model engineers suppliers as water filters, I cannot see it would affect the flow of air, but would mean one more item to regularly clean, as oil crud might build up on it, although in theory the main filter should do this.

Stephen.

Nippon -  Borax -  is the very product I always turn to. However a quick trial has demonstrated to me that it won't carry very far into the duct as a powder. The ideal would be to make a borane and let that self ignite in the duct, but sourcing the requisite reagents is now difficult. (I got some of my chemistry tuition from a real rocket scientist, and he went well extra-curricular during the A-level course.)

Nippon -  Borax -  is the very product I always turn to. However a quick trial has demonstrated to me that it won't carry very far into the duct as a powder....

Nippon is also available as a spray.

Unfortunately Nippon products are no longer stocked by the chain garden centres such as (Bunnings) Homebase, so you need to visit the smaller "local" ones.

Cured the embugger-ants. After a bit more thought about all possible access routes, the nest was found in the rock wool type insulation of the central heating combustor heat exchanger. Presumably the queen came in via the balanced flue intake, which communicates directly to the interior of the external casing as the first stage in scavenging heat by the intake air, and then found its way into the insulation via the small holes in the fold up sheet metalwork corners in which the insulation is contained. The CH pipe network to and from the heat exchanger then of course goes 'everywhere' in the underfloor space, an ant motorway around the house. There they were doing the Tom and Jerry 'ant chain' bit on the return pipe to the heat exchanger.

In some ways I am surprised not to have had this type of trouble at any time previously in the 19 years since this unit went in. There's no access to the insulation for anything much bigger than an ant, but wasps in particular could build a paper nest in the airspace of the casing, provided they have the airspeed to beat the airflow through the intake when the combustor is operating. That, or the wit to wait for when it isn't operating. (The garden has old oak and hornbeam woodland as a perimeter, and I have seen more designs of wasp here than I ever knew existed in the UK. Some of the really petite wood wasps can get through the standard mesh screen in 1950s airbricks and nest in the wall cavity.)

Archived