problem points

PeteN92

I am having trouble with wiring up the final part of my layout. I am running DC and  I have modified the peco electrofrog points by pulling out the join wires on the back and adding wires across the two rails.  One  of the points Is a right hand however I seem to be having trouble with the large Y point.  I was advised to have insulating rail joiners on the V rails of both points initially. Here is a diagram of what I have tried with track feeds and insulating rail joiners : 

post-15016-0-95189300-1472667168_thumb.png

I am running points through gaugemaster seep motors with the built in switch for the polarity switching. This works on the right hand point however on the Y point everything seems to work when the point is set to the right however once the point is switched to the left as the loco hits the frog rails it creates a short over the frog the loco runs both before and after the frog. I have spoken with Peco who said to check that that the switch was fully moving over and that seems to be working fine. The motor is located in the correct place. 

post-15016-0-47248700-1472667187_thumb.png

I have tried using a different switch to rule out the switch on the seep not working. This gave the same result. And having inspected the point and the fact that it works going right leads me to think that this is not the issue.  I am not sure wether i have just got my wiring wrong or if the polarity switch needs to be more complex. It just seems odd as from what I can see the Y point shouldnt be any different from the right hander.  

I hope my description gives an idea of the issue and if anyone could advise what may be causing this or advise where I should have insulating rail joiners and track feeds instead then it would be much appreciated.  

Many thanks 

Pete 

If the track is shorting when you change the point, then there is a problem with links under the point.

If the track is shorting when the loco reaches the frog with the point set both ways then the frog polarity is wrong.

If the track is shorting when the loco reaches the frog, but only when the point is one way, then the frog switch is not changing the frog polarity.

I suspect from your description it is the third scenario, so check the wiring that the common of the switch goes to the frog and not one of the other terminals, and check again that the switch is actually moving all the way when the point is changed.

Thankyou for the advice susie.

after a lot of playing around and attaching a separate microswitch to test

and making sure the polarity was correct

I found the motor need to be nudged across just a little to enable it to throw over further I am now happy to confirm that the entire layout is now functional

Many thanks for your help

Pete

Google seepeggy to see a home made device which centralises these point motors while they are being attached to the baseboard. You will also need two cocktail sticks or similar to centralise the point as well.

• RMweb Premium

Thankyou for the advice susie.

after a lot of playing around and attaching a separate microswitch to test

and making sure the polarity was correct

I found the motor need to be nudged across just a little to enable it to throw over further I am now happy to confirm that the entire layout is now functional

Many thanks for your help

Pete

SEEP point motors are very unforgiving, especially regarding the switch. They MUST be 100% aligned or they will cause problems, as you have found. Well done.

As long as secured properly in place, you ought not have further problems.

Archived