Shortening Bude Smoke Deflectors

Clive Mark

Does anyone know if the Hornby Bude smoke deflectors can be shortened to be an accurate standard length version so that Bude can be renamed to a standard unrebuilt WC?

That's assuming they can be gently removed without damage.

Otherwise its etched replacements. Does anyone know of alternatives to the Albert Goodall ones from RT models?

The attraction of reusing the Hornby deflectors is that they are already painted and lined. Also the plastic beading seems to be better shaped than the flatness of etched beading.

Thanks

Clive Mark

Wouldn't it be easier to trade it in for one which already has the standard length deflectors?

No!

They have done Bude with a cut down tender which I prefer.

Recently we have had Manston and Exeter with the Raves on the tenders and Camelford will also have the rave tender.

This has been gone over in the Exeter thread, the smoke deflectors should come off very easily without damaging the loco body. As they are fitted after the loco body was lined you shouldn't have to do any re-lining.

I have managed to remove one deflector with a gentle pull. Unfortunately the rear end of the extended deflector is anchored by a plastic pin. That will leave a small hole to disguise. As for the deflectors, they seem to be a standard deflector with an additional panel. If that is carefully removed the deflectors can be reused. Fortunately there is no beading at the rear edge. The rivet detail and beading is so finely moulded by Hornby that no etching could achieve that finesse so I think its worth doing it this way.

As an owner of one myself I wouldn't cut them down because if you do you loose the uniqueness of the train as it's had them since it's birth.

I have one to keep as Bude. I recently bought two cheaper as seconds from AC Models in Eastleigh to convert. The main attraction being the cut down tenders and later style lining on the cab sides. Hornby have done relatively few editions with cut down tender... I can only think of Wilton and Weymouth off the top of my head. Try and get your hands on any of those. a) they are scarce, and b) go for silly prices because they don't come up often.

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for quite open sales hint. I may well have a couple of Wiltons to spare after my  sort out. There you go, if you are angry then that's fine, but I hate EBay and I've yet to work out how to sell anything on the new RMW sales site (the old site was brilliant).

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I have one to keep as Bude. I recently bought two cheaper as seconds from AC Models in Eastleigh to convert. The main attraction being the cut down tenders and later style lining on the cab sides. Hornby have done relatively few editions with cut down tender... I can only think of Wilton and Weymouth off the top of my head. Try and get your hands on any of those. a) they are scarce, and b) go for silly prices because they don't come up often.

Beware different cut down tender types. 34041 Wilton (4500g) and 34091 Weymouth (5500g) have different cut down tenders... 34043 Combe Martin (in a box set) has a 4500g cut down tender as per Bude. 34107 Blandform Forum has the same 5500g tender as Weymouth.

34051 Winston Churchill in the R3300 Funeral Train Pack has the 4500g cut down tender but unfortunately I've yet to see any retailer splitting those packs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived