Hither Green P.A.D - A Lyddrail challenge layout

carlw

Carl,

The layout is coming along very well.

Remember HG is a small PAD. While you could say any track component would be present, plus concrete items, oil drums and plant, I don't think a lot of general things like track panels & sleepers were stored there. Also the area where your digger is sited was the PAD area for laying out point work during construction.

Also this area would have a compressor for air tools, a KGT road/rail crane or rail crane would be used for track assembling, a loader (rough road version) would move materials about too.

You say you are falling behind, I haven't started my layout yet and will not have time till early May!

Good luck.

Carl,

Remember HG is a small PAD. While you could say any track component would be present, plus concrete items, oil drums and plant, I don't think a lot of general things like track panels & sleepers were stored there. Also the area where your digger is sited was the PAD area for laying out point work during construction.

Also this area would have a compressor for air tools, a KGT road/rail crane or rail crane would be used for track assembling, a loader (rough road version) would move materials about too.

You say you are falling behind, I haven't started my layout yet and will not have time till early May!

Good luck.

Thank you for mentioning those 3 letters, KGT. I have been trying to find photos of those on the Internet with very little success other than the odd photo of them in the background or vehicle which were way too modern. Now with those letters I can find loads of them :-).

The digger is more there because it's a place holder for those road rail cranes. I have also put the coal staths loaded with ballast in that area because it fits better than it would in its correct position ( the joys of trying to get something to fit in 12" that should need about 36")

Regarding the air compressor would they use a portable trailer mounted one or a fixed one? Here's where I need that one I have butchered for the cherry picker.

Cheers

Carl

Carl,

Good luck.

It was me who was/is falling behind, Paul - Carl's about done!  - He's even got time to build rolling stock!

Cheers, Andy.

Edited by theplasticbrummy

Thank you for mentioning those 3 letters, KGT. I have been trying to find photos of those on the Internet with very little success other than the odd photo of them in the background or vehicle which were way too modern. Now with those letters I can find loads of them :-).

The digger is more there because it's a place holder for those road rail cranes. I have also put the coal staths loaded with ballast in that area because it fits better than it would in its correct position ( the joys of trying to get something to fit in 12" that should need about 36")

Regarding the air compressor would they use a portable trailer mounted one or a fixed one? Here's where I need that one I have butchered for the cherry picker.

Cheers

Carl

Carl,

I am not suggesting you change the coal staths etc and diggers would be on site. You have got the feel of the location very well.

Ashford PAD had a fixed compressor and portable trailer type in the 2 PAD laying out areas.

I will send you some KGT pics I don't have any of my own. In BR times the KGT type was the first machine used. As time went on there were many types of road/rail digger/cranes. Also Plasser cranes were used at HG too.

Cheers.

It was me who was/is falling behind, Paul - Carl's about done!  - He's even got time to build rolling stock!

Cheers, Andy.

Andy,

My mistake. He is taking the micky building stock, I should do a few new items for my layout but I doubt I will have time!

Cheers.

Carl,

I am not suggesting you change the coal staths etc and diggers would be on site. You have got the feel of the location very well.

Ashford PAD had a fixed compressor and portable trailer type in the 2 PAD laying out areas.

I will send you some KGT pics I don't have any of my own. In BR times the KGT type was the first machine used. As time went on there were many types of road/rail digger/cranes. Also Plasser cranes were used at HG too.

Cheers.

I have been chatting to Steve and we have worked out that the only way to do the KGT cranes is to scratch them. Thoughts are to cut the cab off the current digger and scratch the rest up with plasticard.

Cheers

I have been chatting to Steve and we have worked out that the only way to do the KGT cranes is to scratch them. Thoughts are to cut the cab off the current digger and scratch the rest up with plasticard.

Cheers

Carl,

I will send you another CD of pics, the KGT info includes a plan of a slightly newer version. I will need to scratch for 4mm too.

Cheers.

Carl,

I will send you another CD of pics, the KGT info includes a plan of a slightly newer version. I will need to scratch for 4mm too.

Cheers.

Thanks Paul that would be great.

If you have any other photos of other plant stuff that you think would be of use could you include them as well please.

Cheers

Carl

Just a quick little update.

Old sleepers removed and loaded for disposal.

post-7442-0-05429700-1492092777_thumb.jpeg

New concrete sleepers ready to replace them.

post-7442-0-64168700-1492092839_thumb.jpeg

All the loads are removable, with metal weights under them so they can be picked up with magnets.

Cheers

Carl

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of updates over the last few weeks, I have just got back from my family holiday to Orlando.

Over the the last week I have been busy with progressing a few projects.

First up I have finished the fiddle yard track work. I know it breaks the rules of the challenge but I'm not spending money/wasting time on a tiny fiddle yard that I would bin afterwards. I know this might have upset a few ;-).

post-7442-0-68961800-1494876733_thumb.jpeg

The seahorse's have all been built and painted just waiting for the transfers now.

post-7442-0-05589100-1494876954_thumb.jpeg

Lastly to please Mr Farmer who was taking the Micky last week I have started with all the transfers that I need to get done. (The real reason I have left these so long is that I wanted to get enough stock built so that when I turn up at Paul's there are trains to run).

post-7442-0-99491500-1494877040_thumb.jpeg

Cheers

Carl

• Like 6

Just seen this for the first time, an interesting and original concept with the yard sandwiched between two dummy mainlines [just like the real Hither Green]. gives it the illusion of being bigger and a sense of place. Keep up the good work.

Just seen this for the first time, an interesting and original concept with the yard sandwiched between two dummy mainlines [just like the real Hither Green]. gives it the illusion of being bigger and a sense of place. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for you comments.

I'm so pleased that people are seeing the real Hither Green in what is only a likeness and not an actual model of the location. It tells me that I have the feel of the place somewhere on target.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of updates over the last few weeks, I have just got back from my family holiday to Orlando.

Over the the last week I have been busy with progressing a few projects.

First up I have finished the fiddle yard track work. I know it breaks the rules of the challenge but I'm not spending money/wasting time on a tiny fiddle yard that I would bin afterwards. I know this might have upset a few ;-).

Cheers

Carl

Carl,

Progress is very good, wagons are looking nice.

Due to rule infringements I have cancelled your attendance!

Only joking, if I ever build my entry you will see how many rules I break, not as many as Steve of course.

cheers.

Two Colas 37's in the yard on Saturday. One failed and a replacement was sent from Derby, D6757. Looked great running thro' Hither Green station

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have just come across this thread. A very enjoyable read. Well done, this is coming on a treat :sungum:

Looking forward to seeing more updates. 

Cheers, Anthony 

If your canceling Carl's attendance due to rule infringement,can I have his space so I can make mine even bigger please Paul.

The wagons are starting to look good Carl. Take your time with them.

Steve.

Hi Carl,

The project is looking superb, really interesting concept and some great looking stock. I hope we get to see this at showcase in the future.

All the best

Mark

That would require it to be good enough for Nobby to give me an invite, although I would be open to the idea ;-)

Evening all,

I have been working on bits and bobs again this week, the majority of which has been adding transfers to wagons. I would say I have done somewhere in the region of about 100 individual transfers so far, it's very slow progress with the drying time and gloss between doing each one.

BWhile waiting for them to dry I got on with a bit more paint on the tubes. Here is a selection of 6 of them, as can be seen they need the under frames painting, buffers and couplings.

post-7442-0-91055500-1495652773_thumb.jpeg

A little side project has been the construction of a road/rail dumper.

post-7442-0-80909300-1495652999_thumb.jpeg

On a side note it looks like I will be able to make it up to DEMU showcase on the Sunday, so hoping to get some more goodies.

Cheers

Carl

• Like 2

That R/R dumper is looking STUNNING, Carl.  Have you scratch-built it as I don't recognise it as an available kit?  Pipe trucks coming along nicely too.

Good to see you progressing with stock for your LRSGCL and I'll look forward to seeing you at Showcase - Don't expect their to be any bargains left though as Farmer will have snaffled them all first ;)  - I'm out of the bargain hunting at the moment since receiving a bill from Revolution trains that would probably make the Treasury splutter!

Hopefully see you in a couple of weeks mate.

Cheers, Andy.

• Like 1