Hither Green P.A.D - A Lyddrail challenge layout

carlw

Was just going to say Carl the dumper looks good. Wonder who told you what to do with the Fleetline kit??

The tube wagons are coming on nicely I'll get round to mine sooner or later. Yes see you and Andy at showcase doubt there'll be many bargains. Not looking for anything N gauge as yet anyway.

• Like 1

That R/R dumper is looking STUNNING, Carl.  Have you scratch-built it as I don't recognise it as an available kit?  Pipe trucks coming along nicely too.

Good to see you progressing with stock for your LRSGCL and I'll look forward to seeing you at Showcase - Don't expect their to be any bargains left though as Farmer will have snaffled them all first ;)  - I'm out of the bargain hunting at the moment since receiving a bill from Revolution trains that would probably make the Treasury splutter!

Hopefully see you in a couple of weeks mate.

Cheers, Andy.

I do have to concede that the dumper is only a fleetline kit, a staple and a bit of plastic strip. But I do think it has come out nice and I'm happy with it. Credit to Mr F for the knowledge on this.

I'm looking to pick up some bits and pieces from BH, more plastic strip and maybe a loco or two(33 or 56 maybe). Also If I can find a cheapish 108 power chassis for the 3D printed Iris. I'm still not sure which livery I want to do for Iris as I really like both the RTC and green version.

Cheers

Carl

Morning all,

Today's update is on the Seahorse wagons.

I have made removable ballast loads using the same techniques as previous mentioned, although I have to admit that I do think they look better loaded.

post-7442-0-60851900-1496132671_thumb.jpeg

I have still been battling on with transfers, Wow it's mind numbing and I wish I had done some earlier rather than having a large amount at the same time.

The Tubes have had the under frames all painted sleeper grime and I have made the peco coupling up ready for fitting, these little things hurt your fingers!

I have had some bad news yesterday which is going to prevent me attending DEMU. I'm disappointed but unavoidable.

Cheers

Carl

Edited by carlw
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great layout Carl you must be really pleased with how its turned out.

Hope your getting on with the wagons mate.

Steve

Thanks Steve

I am feeling really please with how this has turned out, it has turned out to be a good proving ground for the scenery for TWY (which has been neglected over the last year). But the benefit with this layout is that it has allowed me to get on with stock which can be used on both layouts.

The Wagons are coming along nicely, I think I have done 500+ indivual transfers so far. I think the only transfers which won't be complete on the by Lydd rail are the numbers. I have email Steve at Railtec to see if he could do me a pack for them rather than me having to do each number one by one.

I have found a bit of time to start on a BY van and a SR CCT. I have had to strip the Halfords primer off them and re do it as the paint ran out as I was doing them and splattered on them.

I have painted the facia boards black last week and they look really smart.

I have been thinking about how to make Mr Tailby happy about dimensions this week, I might cut out some card to cover all but one of the fiddle yard roads so that the only one left to use would fit within the 288sq CM rule ;-)

Cheers

Carl

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Steve

I am feeling really .........................................edited

I have been thinking about how to make Mr Tailby happy about dimensions this week, I might cut out some card to cover all but one of the fiddle yard roads so that the only one left to use would fit within the 288sq CM rule ;-)

Cheers

Carl

Hi Carl

The rules are only applicable to a small group of entrants as stated else where to everyone else they are "conceptual guidelines" :rtfm:

So don't worry about the 2 square feet fiddly yard. :good: :good:

Excellent concept, layout and selection of stock in progress. I will certainly follow this one with interest having just come across it.

In post 63, do I spot a couple of ZRBs in Rail Stores green/grey? If so, what specific colour did you use for the 'green'?

Excellent concept, layout and selection of stock in progress. I will certainly follow this one with interest having just come across it.

In post 63, do I spot a couple of ZRBs in Rail Stores green/grey? If so, what specific colour did you use for the 'green'?

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

For the Railstores wagons I have used Humbrol 80.

post-7442-0-72191600-1497870508_thumb.jpeg

Cheers

Carl

• Like 1

Hi all,

Lost of work done this weeks. Only 4 weeks left until Lydd Rail so the push for the finish line is gathering pace, with lots of my spare time spent in the loft.

First job complete is the painting of all facia and back boards black. You would not beleive how hard it was to get B&Q to sell me a Black paint.

post-7442-0-40001300-1498394739_thumb.jpeg

I'm also still up to my eyeballs with transfers. I think that this week I have done somewhere I the region of about 250 individual transfers. The 10 Seahorses took 88 by themselves ( luckily they come as a pack so all letters and numbers are in groups on the sheets.

post-7442-0-30869200-1498394898_thumb.jpeg

I don't think I will get all wagons complete by Lydd Rail but I'm sure I came forgiven ;-).

Cheers

Carl

• Like 2

That's some good work with the transfers, Carl.  I know what you mean, I started a rake of 27 BSC blue JTA/JUAs and made the mistake of counting how many transfers I'd got to put on, it was circa 1000!  I've done nine wagons on wide side so far :fool: .

Looking great so far mate - Looking forward to playing at LR in for weeks!

Cheers, Andy.

Afternoon all,

A little update this week. Mainly so that Andrew knows I'm not being lazy and that I'm still working away on these wagons. I think I have done about 400 transfers this week.

Here are an example of 3 wagons that have seen my attention this week.

post-7442-0-73932700-1499005789_thumb.jpeg

Only 2 more weekends to get stuff done, better make the most of the time left.

Carl

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have had a great weekend away at Lydd Rail where Hither Green made its debut. After a bit of work (cleaning wheels) the layout ran well.

After several conversations a few upgrade ideas were decided upon. The biggest change will happen at the front right hand end of the layout, where to hide the exit to the fiddle yard and also to add a bit more height it was agreed that I should add the fuel point shed. Not only will this add to the scenics but it will also allow a bit more operating interest as trains could be delivered to the sidings and locos cut off to be refueled before being stabled in the loco sidings.

post-7442-0-28173700-1500921299_thumb.jpeg

post-7442-0-61133500-1500921749_thumb.jpeg

Cheers

Carl

• Like 3

Just a couple I took over the weekend.

The layout looked very good and you must be pleased with how it's turned out.

Yes the additions you plan will enhance the operation of the layout.

Keeping the wheels and track clean and doing this on a regular basis will aid running as we found out.

post-5955-0-39359100-1500968565.jpg

post-5955-0-52267400-1500968582.jpg

• Like 1

Just a couple I took over the weekend.

The layout looked very good and you must be pleased with how it's turned out.

Yes the additions you plan will enhance the operation of the layout.

Keeping the wheels and track clean and doing this on a regular basis will aid running as we found out.

It's looking good.

Dave.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

It's been just over 3 months since I put the last update on here, that's not to say I haven't been working away on the layout and stock. Although I did take a bit of a break over the summer to spend some time with the family.

As mentioned in an earlier post, while at Lydd rail it was suggested that I could add in the fuel road at the front to help break up the end of the scenic section and also add some operational interest. Work has started on this and the track and wiring for it is complete. I have made a start on the building which is now in need of detailing. For the floor surface I think that I'm going to get some etched mesh as that appears to be what the floor is built of on the real thing.

post-7442-0-92094200-1510404937_thumb.jpg

Stock wise I have been working on a few things. I will show two of the items here that have made the most progress.

The first is a 73 which has been repainted from EWS (yuk) into the original Dept. Grey. I think that of the 4 locos that received this livery 73106 lasted the longest, and as Steve already has 108. It will become 73106.

post-7442-0-72154700-1510405287_thumb.jpg

Here is a 3D model of a Halibut that has taken a long time to get to this point. Mainly because the yellow paint took about 6 weeks to dry. Which is very odd as the white primer and the grey was set in 24hrs.

post-7442-0-15265200-1510405405_thumb.jpg

I have been purchasing bits and pieces over the last few weeks and I will add an update for these in the future, some of which have already made it onto the workbench.

Last for today's update is something that from looking at the layout you won't notice, but it will make exhibiting it more interesting and also stop the big hand of God visiting all the time. I have added 7 Seep electromagnet uncouplers. So a big task now will be adding the little etch to the peco couplers and maybe even converting some of the Farish couplers into peco ones (Steve I might need your help with that please).

Cheers

Carl

• Like 7

Today I have been scratching a wagon that is badly missed in N gauge. Here is my first attempt at a scratch built wagon, it's a ZCA Seaurchin in case you can't make it out.

post-7442-0-34439200-1511032759_thumb.jpg

I'm going to see if I can get it resin cast, if not I guess I will just be scratching them to order as I know a few people who are after some Urchins.

Cheers

Carl

• Like 2