Hither Green P.A.D - A Lyddrail challenge layout

carlw

While at Lydd rail in the summer I picked up a couple of D bolsters on the second and table. The plan for these wagons was to turn them into a YSA cable wagon.

https://flic.kr/p/9Vwidd

The first of which has made its way onto the workbench. Work started with removing the bolsters and filing the remains flat.

Working from photos I have built the frame and handrails. The handrails still need the center bracing adding. I need to come up with some decent cable drums and then bodge up some cradles to hold them.

post-7442-0-20795700-1511299611_thumb.jpg

Feed back is welcome.

Cheers

Carl

Edited by carlw
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Part of my purchases at Warley were several peco kits t start knocking them into a Vac braked cable laying train.

Here is the first 2 of the production line, a conflat A and a Plate. I have another Plate to do, im going to keep an eye out for anymore cheap kits I can use. I think there were also Lowfits converted for the same use.

post-7442-0-00184500-1512226463_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Carl

• Like 3

Part of my purchases at Warley were several peco kits t start knocking them into a Vac braked cable laying train.

Here is the first 2 of the production line, a conflat A and a Plate. I have another Plate to do, im going to keep an eye out for anymore cheap kits I can use. I think there were also Lowfits converted for the same use.

Cheers

Carl

Carl,

I only saw ex plate 2 axle S&T cable wagons in Kent. There were ex bogie C and ex Bev too.

post-1373-0-78000700-1512313829_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Paul.

Edited by Lyddrail
  • Like 2

Carl,

I only saw ex plate 2 axle S&T cable wagons in Kent. There were ex bogie C and ex Bev too.

attachicon.gifL-030 TWY 17-1-91.jpg

Cheers.

Paul.

Thanks for the heads up on the 2 axle wagons, I will ensure that I only buy Plates from now on.

Interesting to note that the plates in the foreground has had the bodywork chopped off. Will mean that I should be able to scratch them just using a standard peco chassis.

I wasn't able to find any Bogie C's at Warley last week but I was aware of them. As for the BEV's the problem with them is the lack of availability of the Kits from the N gauge society. As soon as they fix the mold for the bogies I will be looking to get a load of the kits as it's the same kit as the Turbots.

Cheers

Carl

Hi Carl,

Great work on the BoBol D conversion and the plates and ConFlat A to,

Glad you found a use for the BoBol D's.

MC

Hi Mike,

I had this wagon in mind when I saw the 2 Bolsters in the box.

Thanks

Carl

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up on the 2 axle wagons, I will ensure that I only buy Plates from now on.

Interesting to note that the plates in the foreground has had the bodywork chopped off. Will mean that I should be able to scratch them just using a standard peco chassis.

I wasn't able to find any Bogie C's at Warley last week but I was aware of them. As for the BEV's the problem with them is the lack of availability of the Kits from the N gauge society. As soon as they fix the mold for the bogies I will be looking to get a load of the kits as it's the same kit as the Turbots.

Cheers

Carl

Carl,

I hadn't noticed you had left the body on the Plate. Another pic of Plates first seen, note the kick boards along the bottom were added while in use.

post-1373-0-71884200-1512333612_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 2

Carl,

I hadn't noticed you had left the body on the Plate. Another pic of Plates first seen, note the kick boards along the bottom were added while in use.

attachicon.gifL-301 TWY 11-4-91.jpg

Cheers.

I was working of this pic for this Plate, I also noted a few photos on Paul Bartletts site of them with the body painted in red ( think the furthest wagon in your first photo is one of them)

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brplate/e268d0ec5

Interesting that they were seen with and without the kick boards. Was this a H&S addition?

Did they generally run in formations of 4?

Cheers

Carl

I was working of this pic for this Plate, I also noted a few photos on Paul Bartletts site of them with the body painted in red ( think the furthest wagon in your first photo is one of them)

http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brplate/e268d0ec5

Interesting that they were seen with and without the kick boards. Was this a H&S addition?

Did they generally run in formations of 4?

Cheers

Carl

Carl,

I hadn't seen those pics, our Western friends did things differently.

I believe the kick boards were a safety addition.

My first pic was a rake of 7 or 8. The second pic was 4 + brake van + 4 or 5.

Cheers.

Nothing on TV tonight, the wife is wrapping present so I'm back in the loft again. I really have my Mojo going at the moment.

Tonight I have knocked up the Ex Plate ZVV cable wagon closet to the camera in the pic below. It's a model of one in Paul's last pic above.

I have used a Peco 15ft chassis ,a bit of plank embossed plasticard, some 40thou wire and some 80thou sq microstrip.

post-7442-0-93455400-1512680248_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Carl

Nothing on TV tonight, the wife is wrapping present so I'm back in the loft again. I really have my Mojo going at the moment.

Tonight I have knocked up the Ex Plate ZVV cable wagon closet to the camera in the pic below. It's a model of one in Paul's last pic above.

I have used a Peco 15ft chassis ,a bit of plank embossed plasticard, some 40thou wire and some 80thou sq microstrip.

Cheers

Carl

Carl,

Well done, looks good. You have done your 2mm model before I do my 4mm, I will do a rake one day.

Cheers.

Carl,

Well done, looks good. You have done your 2mm model before I do my 4mm, I will do a rake one day.

Cheers.

Paul ,

What was it you joked at Shenfeild? All my stock is straight out of a box ;-)

Cheers

Carl

Hi all,

I have been busy in the loft again today doing some more scratching.

I have built the second YSA from the other D bolster I got during the summer from Mike. Also in the photo you can see I have built another 2 ex plate wagons for my Vac cable train.

post-7442-0-20487600-1513532629_thumb.jpeg

These have used the last of my current stock of 15’ chassis and D bolsters. It’s also used almost all of the 0.4mm wire i had. I have an order in with shapeways for some cable drums amongst other things, once these arrive I can make the cradles and then I can get on with painting the wagons.

While browsing the DEMU forum the other day i found a thread about scratching a Ferry Tube. As these aren't available as kits scratching them is my only option. Looking at photos and plans I can just use a Chivers kit for the chassis and ends, then replace the sides with some that i have scratched.

With the above in mind I got some embossed plasticard and microstrip out. Below can be seen my results.

post-7442-0-63490200-1513532639_thumb.jpeg

Cheers

Carl

• Like 4

Paul,

Yes I’m looking at doing the one that went back and forth to Ashford with wheel sets. After speak to Mr Farmer this evening it was suggested that mixing a Chivers Tube with a Parkside Pipe as another option. Thinking about it, it might be a better option than what I have produced.

Cheers

Carl

C

Paul,

Yes I’m looking at doing the one that went back and forth to Ashford with wheel sets. After speak to Mr Farmer this evening it was suggested that mixing a Chivers Tube with a Parkside Pipe as another option. Thinking about it, it might be a better option than what I have produced.

Cheers

Carl

Carl,

That is how I will do my 4mm versions with Parkside Tube & Pipe sides mixed together. This was how Smasher did the one I use on TWY.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Been working on bits and pieces over the last few weeks. Below are a couple of things that have seen the most progress.

First up is the new fuel point for Hither Green, I know it’s not the same as the original, but it had to fit in the small space at the front and also hide some of the exit to the fiddle yard. As can be seen the building, mesh floor and ballasting have been completed.

post-7442-0-87949800-1516470674_thumb.jpeg

Next can be seen the progress of the 2 YSA wagons, the wagons have entered the paint phase. I have built one set of cable drums and their cradles.

post-7442-0-74301600-1516470743_thumb.jpeg

Cheers

Carl

• Like 6