Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

• 1 month later...

The tedious job of cutting window apertures and adding balconies is complete, the walls glued in place, and it's had a coat of primer. Next some rubbing down and tidying up, then painting and adding windows, plus any details.

DSC05568cr.jpg.f2f43b6d025c2a47993f99f0865dc693.jpg

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

I've added a small parapet to the roof and painted it, picked out the raised floor lines, and fitted the windows to one side. I've also made a start on the balcony windows/doors - just the top floor done. They are from Scene-Setters glazing grids with the frames thickened up and the panels coloured in with a Posca white paint pen:

DSC05654red.jpg.1a37555b2b3edee3ee077cc03af2b2c1.jpg

DSC05652red.jpg.a9ed53a6f523b42611303ee64646840c.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

The next building project will be the corner block at Bermondsey Street and Crucifix Lane (which is basically the continuation of St Thomas Street along the front of the viaduct). I've done some on-line research and plotted out the floor plan for the block and building. I'm planning to include a representation of the Sarsons malt vinegar brewery on the plot next to the building (I know it's not in the right place but at this end of the layout there is a lot less adherence to the actual area).

DSC05671red.jpg.be7afb655aeddd18da42eb70cefa35b4.jpg

I've sketched up a very rough character drawing of the block and estimated heights. The model will be another card and styrene overlay structure with the floors based on my plan drawing.

DSC05670red.jpg.3f9937a43a35ade1b81f10ae4491bc57.jpg

Edited by grahame
  • Like 12

On 26/11/2023 at 10:28, grahame said:

I've added a small parapet to the roof and painted it, picked out the raised floor lines, and fitted the windows to one side. I've also made a start on the balcony windows/doors - just the top floor done. They are from Scene-Setters glazing grids with the frames thickened up and the panels coloured in with a Posca white paint pen:

DSC05654red.jpg.1a37555b2b3edee3ee077cc03af2b2c1.jpg

DSC05652red.jpg.a9ed53a6f523b42611303ee64646840c.jpg

Hi Grahame,

Really enjoying the thread and seeing your brilliant scratchbuilding skills. 
i was wondering where you source your scene setters glazing from. I’ve had a look online but can’t seem to find it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Jeremy

11 minutes ago, cornish trains jez said:

i was wondering where you source your scene setters glazing from. I’ve had a look online but can’t seem to find it.

As @grahame is in the pub for the afternoon. An internet search indicates that they are from Freestone models accessories  but their web-site is under reconstruction at the moment,

http://freestonemodel.co.uk/

Some other resellers had them but they seem to be out of stock.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Yep, as mentioned, from Freestone Models. As well as ordering on-line, he does also attend exhibitions with a trade stand. The glazing grids are available in various sizes - I ordered a number of packs in different sizes which do last a while.

You'll also need a Posca white paint pen for thickening up the edge frames.

HTH.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, grahame said:

Yep, as mentioned, from Freestone Models. As well as ordering on-line, he does also attend exhibitions with a trade stand. The glazing grids are available in various sizes - I ordered a number of packs in different sizes which do last a while.

You'll also need a Posca white paint pen for thickening up the edge frames.

HTH.

Cheers Grahame . Much appreciated.

On 03/12/2023 at 12:33, MyRule1 said:

As @grahame is in the pub for the afternoon. An internet search indicates that they are from Freestone models accessories  but their web-site is under reconstruction at the moment,

http://freestonemodel.co.uk/

Some other resellers had them but they seem to be out of stock.

Thank you! Are you in the pub with Grahame? 😂

Very little done - I was out all day yesterday on a family Xmas meal, been to the dentist today and I've Aussie relatives visiting for a few days on Saturday - so probably won't get much done until later next week.

Nonetheless I've cut a mountboard base for the block and drawn up the building and brewery locations on it. I'm planning on using some of the ramshackle workshop factory (I made - see previously in this thread) as part of the brewery with it appropriately breweryfied. I've started by cutting down and changing the boiler house a bit. You can see where I need to touch up paintwork in the pic below, where it's been cut and modified. The flat roof extension is much smaller and the roof tank had to be moved.

DSC05679red.jpg.4a1974f97f92cbb15d72e79d5ee18cdb.jpg

Edited by grahame
  • Like 12

My Aussie guests have now left so some form of normality can return to the house. And I've started back on the Crucifix Lane block of an office building and a vinegar brewery. I've made a start on the carcasses, attaching them directly to the block footprint card floor. The building fascias will be cut from brick embossed plasticard:

DSC05690red.jpg.8e070880ca17b346833073544130394a.jpg

I've also knocked up a mix of parts from a donor building (the ramshackle workshop as mentioned) and some temporary structures to check my brewery design and how it will all go together. The front edge of the block is the brewery yard allowing the building to be set back a little from the edge of the layout. There will be entry gates on the left. The front of the office building and brewery will be facing way from the edge. See my layout thread 'London Bridge (at the end of the 20thC)'.

DSC05691red.jpg.e06d1bf62517c946cd12ff2e943d859d.jpg

Edited by grahame
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1

A little more progress on the block, but there's still a heck of a lot to do although the overall shape is getting there. The flat roofs on each building need to have sections made and added, and all the outer brickwork walls need to be cut, details added, painted and windows/doors fitted.

DSC05707crperred.jpg.6c56602488ddd50c0a8808e151d9df4b.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Rather busy this morning (blood test, shopping, and trips to the launderette and post office) but I managed to make a start on cutting windows and detailing the brewery tower walls this afternoon - 

DSC05725red.jpg.c5c393f870e6f73e3469ceb85c93dcaa.jpg

• Like 9

The other tower wall now has apertures cut and both have details added this morning. As it's too wet to get some paint on them I've cut the brewery frontage, which faces away from the front of the layout. And I'll plan the ventilated roof area and water tank on top of the tower. I'll probably make that from plasticard.

DSC05726red.jpg.30c8a5757ed64c81535162d3b05cab59.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I roughed up a character sketch of the ventilated roof and water tank:

DSC05729red.jpg.a3ce8d9b91b99457b7b4bb5906c4ad3d.jpg

And I've made a start on knocking it up. Plus I've been able to get the walls primed and a base colour on them meaning things are taking shape although most bits aren't glued in place (the walls obviously need the windows and door fitted first) so it looks a little rough and ready.

DSC05728crperred.jpg.50676b2ae96144920ac820fef27e1db7.jpg

DSC05727roperred.jpg.c7f7244d8b59796ff31de8e0ff430796.jpg

• Like 14

Here's a better pic of the block (as it is currently - still a lot of work to do) on the layout (I popped out to the railway shed) in the position at the front that it will occupy. Between it and the buildings in the background will be the viaduct.

DSC05730crperred.jpg.20b626266f0ace533c0fcecf6ffc58d5.jpg

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

Some more activity on the brewery (although the office block needs me to get started on it) ; ventilated roof space detailed, roof water tank made (although I'm not happy with it and will probably make another), pitched roof tiles (with Redutex although ridge tiles need to be made and added), some wall details painted (although I'm out of matt varnish so need to get some more when the shops open) . . . . . .

DSC05759ed.jpg.81e4fa889f5f64abfb192095dc9f5f49.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I found an aerosol can of matt vanish in the shed so most things now vanished, windows fitted (but not the doors as I've yet to make them), water tank cut down and mounted on beams, and two chimney stacks added to office block (although another still to do). 

DSC05763cpeed.jpg.c6c66aca1a172d3d7b0149ff1eeacad9.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6