Point motors: Tortoise vs Cobalt

• RMweb Gold

I was shown these at the weekend, the opinion was not quite as durable as the tortoise etc but significantly cheaper and low profile. Those using them had modified the end of the arm to mount the piano wire better so it didn't slip.

https://m.rapidonline.com/conrad-1396900-points-motor-with-limit-and-polarity-switch-for-the-core-59-1100

• RMweb Gold

I was shown these at the weekend, the opinion was not quite as durable as the tortoise etc but significantly cheaper and low profile. Those using them had modified the end of the arm to mount the piano wire better so it didn't slip.

https://m.rapidonline.com/conrad-1396900-points-motor-with-limit-and-polarity-switch-for-the-core-59-1100

I have an absolute ton of these is anybody wants to buy them!!!

You can run them on 1.5V DC but we chose to go with Servos and Megapoints on our N Gauge Layout. I've used Cobalts on Oak Road but (nothing against DCC Concepts) I wish I'd used servos instead because they're a) quieter, and b) slightly faster and more realistic.

That said, the new surface mount DCC Concepts motors can actually be mounted underneath the baseboard (as long as it's not three feet thick!) and the wire placed in a tube. Richard wouldn't confirm this when I spoke to him about it but it'll work fine. Downside I believe is that you have to buy a set number at a time with a controller to suit? 

Mike

I have an absolute ton of these is anybody wants to buy them!!!

You can run them on 1.5V DC but we chose to go with Servos and Megapoints on our N Gauge Layout. I've used Cobalts on Oak Road but (nothing against DCC Concepts) I wish I'd used servos instead because they're a) quieter, and b) slightly faster and more realistic.

That said, the new surface mount DCC Concepts motors can actually be mounted underneath the baseboard (as long as it's not three feet thick!) and the wire placed in a tube. Richard wouldn't confirm this when I spoke to him about it but it'll work fine. Downside I believe is that you have to buy a set number at a time with a controller to suit?

Mike

Why are you you getting rid of them?

• RMweb Premium

There is another slow motion point motor, British made,

that hasn't been mentioned;

TrainTronics TT300 anybody?

I've also tried them. Relies on limit switches as it is not a stall type.

Great to start with, but once they have been used a while the clutch started to slip so the motor ran continuously.

(however I have used the circuit to successfully control a transfer table!)

Keith

Archived