Gosty Hill, small mid 80`s layout.

Tove

Hi Brian,

How are you progressing? Have you managed to get things moving again after I stuck my oar in :)

Rich

What oar would that be then Rich.......! :onthequiet:

I`m just finishing up a few bits and bobs on the point`s i`ve laid, and also putting down the remaining track i have. (need to order more!)

Have also been playing around around with the Dapol screwlink couplings as well,so it`s a bit slow at the moment.

But i should have some pics over the weekend,plus a little alteration to the industries i`m proposing for the layout..nothing drastic mind you!.

Thanks for the interest,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

What oar would that be then Rich.......! :onthequiet:

I`m just finishing up a few bits and bobs on the point`s i`ve laid, and also putting down the remaining track i have. (need to order more!)

Have also been playing around around with the Dapol screwlink couplings as well,so it`s a bit slow at the moment.

But i should have some pics over the weekend,plus a little alteration to the industries i`m proposing for the layout..nothing drastic mind you!.

Thanks for the interest,

Brian.

Glad to hear your making progress!  Hopefully i'll be joining you on track laying shortly!  Interested to see how your looking to amend the industries, and looking forward to seeing the picture progress!

Rich

Hi Brian,

just caught up with this great thread and have to say you are not alone in the number of times you have redrawn your lans and ended up more or less how you started (that is if I have read things correctly) I look forward to further updates in the near future.

regards

Mike

Bostin layout, me mon!! ;)

If yoh like the "semi derelict" look of Old Hill, Ah s'pose yoh'm glad yoh doh 'av ter live 'ere... :rolleyes: :jester:

Cheers Jordan.

Nah - sum on us live in the posh bit :P :mosking: ;)

"Posh bit"....?

Ahh, yoh mean yoh got a view of the cut then ar kid.....!! :mosking:

Hi Brian,

just caught up with this great thread and have to say you are not alone in the number of times you have redrawn your lans and ended up more or less how you started (that is if I have read things correctly) I look forward to further updates in the near future.

regards

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I`m afraid that i have been know to be a bit of serial scribbler when it comes to track plan`s..!!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

I`m afraid that i have been know to be a bit of serial scribbler when it comes to track plan`s..!!

Aren't we all! I've numerous ideas for layouts, track plans, industry scenarios and diorama thoughts! One of these days I may write a book!!!

Rich

Aren't we all! I've numerous ideas for layouts, track plans, industry scenarios and diorama thoughts! One of these days I may write a book!!!

Rich

Wild Swan is publishing another new Iain Rice layout design book next month: Creating Cameo Layouts

• RMweb Gold

Wild Swan is publishing another new Iain Rice layout design book next month: Creating Cameo Layouts

Thats useful to know!  Thanks Chris.

I've got a couple of ideas for a book thats a little different to the others, but I just need time to do something about it!  Work, family, model railways all seem to fill the 28 hours that each day brings!!!

Rich

Thats useful to know!  Thanks Chris.

I've got a couple of ideas for a book thats a little different to the others, but I just need time to do something about it!  Work, family, model railways all seem to fill the 28 hours that each day brings!!!

Rich

I'd be happy to help with design, editing, proof-reading etc.

Thanks Chris,

That's useful to know, sorry for hijacking the thread Brian!

Rich

No problem Rich......but i will expect a complimentry copy of your first book though.!  ;)

On the layout front,i don`t have any photo`s just yet as i went to a local model rail exhibition, (Cradley Heath) after work this afternoon.

But when i got back i did do a little track work, this was more remedial than progress,all thanks to post # 267 by Martyn (3 link) over on the Marsh Lane Depot thread.

All i`ll say is 'fishplates',i`d put some of mine on the wrong way round,ie; nut`s on the inside of the running rail,instead of the outside... :fool:

Oh well,all sorted now.

Hopefull some photo`s tomorrow.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

No problem Rich......but i will expect a complimentry copy of your first book though.!  ;)

On the layout front,i don`t have any photo`s just yet as i went to a local model rail exhibition, (Cradley Heath) after work this afternoon.

But when i got back i did do a little track work, this was more remedial than progress,all thanks to post # 267 by Martyn (3 link) over on the Marsh Lane Depot thread.

All i`ll say is 'fishplates',i`d put some of mine on the wrong way round,ie; nut`s on the inside of the running rail,instead of the outside... :fool:

Oh well,all sorted now.

Hopefull some photo`s tomorrow.

Brian.

Deal!  You've reminded me talking nuts ... I must remember that when I add mine!  Glad you got it sorted, looking forward to seeing the progress.

Rich

Evening Brian, I've read your thread from start to finish and it's a great choice of location and era, as you say you can run 25's with Railfreight liveried locos. I'll enjoy watching this take shape.

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon,

The 25`s are one of my favorite loco`s and one the reason`s for the date the layout is set in also.

Thanks for looking,

Brian.

As promised an update on the trackwork....

At the momment i have all of the loop laid and the track and point`s detailed,all bar some small details on the crossing area of the point`s.

This is the state of play as of tonight.

post-19751-0-76041700-1477251419_thumb.jpg

post-19751-0-86319200-1477251422_thumb.jpg

As per the crossing vee, i thought they looked a bit plain and that something was missing,so i had a quick trawel though the interweb and came up with this post on another forum by Mr Martin Wynne of Templot fame...

http://scalerail.phpbbhosts.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=485

If you scroll down about halfway,you`ll find a very nice diagram and a close up picture of the 'knuckle & vee' section of a point.

It show`s that there are three bolt`s that hold the 'knuckle & vee' section together along with some spacer block`s. (hope this makes sence?)

Anyhow i`ve made a start on detailing this area on my point`s.

post-19751-0-97359800-1477251424_thumb.jpg

I have the nut`s glued on one side and will order some bolt and washer casting for the other side,but in the meantime i will add the spacer`s with some plastic card.

Also, some of you may have noticed that another point template has appeared on the back siding.This i will cover tomorrow along with the planned changes to the industries that i`m going to have.

But for now, thanks for looking, more tomorrow!.

Brian.

As promised an update on the trackwork....

At the momment i have all of the loop laid and the track and point`s detailed,all bar some small details on the crossing area of the point`s.

This is the state of play as of tonight.

As per the crossing vee, i thought they looked a bit plain and that something was missing,so i had a quick trawel though the interweb and came up with this post on another forum by Mr Martin Wynne of Templot fame...

http://scalerail.phpbbhosts.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=485

If you scroll down about halfway,you`ll find a very nice diagram and a close up picture of the 'knuckle & vee' section of a point.

It show`s that there are three bolt`s that hold the 'knuckle & vee' section together along with some spacer block`s. (hope this makes sence?)

Anyhow i`ve made a start on detailing this area on my point`s.

I have the nut`s glued on one side and will order some bolt and washer casting for the other side,but in the meantime i will add the spacer`s with some plastic card.

Also, some of you may have noticed that another point template has appeared on the back siding.This i will cover tomorrow along with the planned changes to the industries that i`m going to have.

But for now, thanks for looking, more tomorrow!.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

The trackwork looks very neat, and nice and flowing too.

Nice touch with the extra nuts you've added, no doubt lifting it all to a higher level than just a plain crossover or turnout.

So you've added an extra siding, which will only add to the operational possibilities.

Great work, looking forward to more

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Brian,

Nice progress there. Love the point work too! Whose/which tie bars are you using? They look neat and unobtrusive! Like the details, always said we were all nuts in this hobby! ;)

Rich

Rich,Jinty & Phil.

Thanks guy`s for the comment`s, much appreciated.

Hi Brian,
Nice progress there. Love the point work too! Whose/which tie bars are you using? They look neat and unobtrusive! Like the details, always said we were all nuts in this hobby! ;)

Rich

I assume that your on about the front tie bar,as the back ones are the AMBIS etched ones with a plasticard tie bar?.

Rather than trying to explain them,i`ve had a quick scribble;

post-19751-0-55069900-1477328254_thumb.jpg

There made following what a mate of mine is using for his O gauge points,(so i can`t claim these!) but i`ve used a beefier center tube as explained on the drawing.

There a little fiddley to hold and solder to the point blades,but like most thing`s you find a way!.

Cheers,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian,

That's both confusing and perfectly clear!!! The drawing is great I can totally understand that, but am confused a bit by your front and back tiebars? I thought there was just one on a point?

Rich

Archived