Gosty Hill, small mid 80`s layout.

Tove

Hi Rich,

From looking at photo`s and from what other people have done here,two tiebars/strecher bars seem`s to be the most common practice?,so that`s what i`ve done!.

I`m sure someone will have an explaination as to the why and wherefor`s.

As i mentioned yesterday i`ve added a seconed siding to the back line,which was going to be a steel tube works siding,but i`ve decided to change this now.

So whilst working on the trackwork last week, i had seconed thought`s about this as i could`nt visualise what the buildings would look like when finished.So during one of my regular raid`s on flickr for pictures, i came across some for the perfect industry to put in it`s place.

The said industry is a scrap yard,on what was the old GWR Birmingham (snow hill) to Wolverhampton (low level) line,and from what i can make out it shut up shop in the 80`s.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eagle50043/albums/72157634406302639

As you see it`s a nice compact site at the rail end,with a nice big covered loading shed, and which is ideal for sheilding the end of a siding.

It also appeal`s because it has an unkempt look to it,and with the extra siding i can have it covered in grass and dirt!.

I also came across another black country scrap yard with a simillar building,but with an enclosed end.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/71592768@N08/19781503540/in/album-72157636877739706/

This will make an ideal subject as well,if combined with the above building.

Anyhow, to give you an idea of what i have in mind for this end of the layout,i decided to do a little scribble;

(of course it`s not to scale!)

post-19751-0-00969500-1477332760_thumb.jpg

I have also been thinking about the front siding,and with the HEA`s coming from Dapol next year (fingers crossed!) i have added a small household coal distributor to the end half,with the intention of buying the following;

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=18334&cat=310&page=1

I will also make a convyer for the above,so it can be loaded from ground level.

As for the front half of the siding,i shall put in a concerete area and use it as an unloading site for small /one off deliveries by rail.

I have also been looking at signal boxes for the layout as well.

Initially i was going with an ex-LMS wooden box before i change the line back to an ex-GWR (BR - W ) line,but i still wanted a wooden box.

So i was more than happy to find this cracking photo of an ex-GWR wooden box,still in service during my time frame and in the black country!.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/71592768@N08/15594325954/in/album-72157638798054463/

I was also pleasantly supprised to find that this box had been saved, and now resides on the Swindon and Cricklade railway at Hayes Knoll.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jenster1979/4526783996/in/photolist-7U1XaW-jwyCUZ-gBNMT4-oGoCzM-oEUWSB-njUC1d-gBNkee-oEVEwB-deBCU2-m6sriZ-m6utyW-ufRQJ5-oMvggW-foDLoY-6sAbm1-bxREi8-oEUW5p-dMmig8-pL1ZNS-o6srni-4vihPz-oosiSb-gBP134-oGovbD-m6stun-4ujXRS-cSwsys-oo9ABt-oo85dY-4vpFyZ-8yGWLE-m6svGi-gBMSUu-gBmhmH-o9eeiD-m6t7Lp-deQA5s-cr6oNd-dM6V1F-p4Xtbd-8mUXi4-G9R4Xt-ndAfV5-oEUs3L-gBkUvQ-hMv8tf-8mUYJx-gBN9ju-54DPWT-pNHfEK

I would like to find some drawings to work off,as i assume it`s a standard type of box,but if i can`t,i can at least have a day out and go (if permited) and measure it up.

But if someone know`s where i can find some drawings i would be most greatfull.

Thanks for looking,

Brian.

Stretcher bars - number depends on the switch length as they are or at least the supplemental ones are there to maintain gauge. There is a good thread on Templot club about point blade gap and there is a link to the report about the Grayrigg accident The turnout that failed had 3 but 2 were defective which led to the failure. Some good prototype photos too.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

As i mentioned yesterday i`ve added a seconed siding to the back line,which was going to be a steel tube works siding,but i`ve decided to change this now.

So whilst working on the trackwork last week, i had seconed thought`s about this as i could`nt visualise what the buildings would look like when finished.So during one of my regular raid`s on flickr for pictures, i came across some for the perfect industry to put in it`s place.

The said industry is a scrap yard,on what was the old GWR Birmingham (snow hill) to Wolverhampton (low level) line,and from what i can make out it shut up shop in the 80`s.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eagle50043/albums/72157634406302639

As you see it`s a nice compact site at the rail end,with a nice big covered loading shed, and which is ideal for sheilding the end of a siding.

It also appeal`s because it has an unkempt look to it,and with the extra siding i can have it covered in grass and dirt!.

Hi Brian,

I shall have to research the subject to tie-bars a bit more, especially in light of what Stephen has said.  Like your plans for the layout tho - think you've made a good choice with the scrapyard, addition shunting ability, and also provides a wide variety of wagon types to go at as well!  Just a thought (which you may also have had), but Speedlink would have been a staple 'trip' working around then so you could have other wagons serving off scene industries, on a train, that just drops off the off scrap wagon or household coal vehicle ... in addition to dedicated trips serving the scrapyard etc...

As for your sketch ... i think if i could sketch like that I'd have become an artist!! Really good visualisation Brian, well done.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

That "scribble" is really good and certainly helps with the visualisation. The way the canal loses itself under the road bridge is a good way of avoiding an awkward transition to the backscene. I've previously thought of having lock gates behind the bridge to also avoid the "join".

The signal box looks like a McKenzie & Holland style, but seems to have more, smaller panes in each window?

Hi Brian,

I shall have to research the subject to tie-bars a bit more, especially in light of what Stephen has said.  Like your plans for the layout tho - think you've made a good choice with the scrapyard, addition shunting ability, and also provides a wide variety of wagon types to go at as well!  Just a thought (which you may also have had), but Speedlink would have been a staple 'trip' working around then so you could have other wagons serving off scene industries, on a train, that just drops off the off scrap wagon or household coal vehicle ... in addition to dedicated trips serving the scrapyard etc...

As for your sketch ... i think if i could sketch like that I'd have become an artist!! Really good visualisation Brian, well done.

Rich

Thanks Rich,

I do think that the scrap yard fit`s in better with the space avalible,and it hides the end/corner of the layout.

As for wagon`s,i`m probaby going to use mainly 4 wheel POA`s in the blue & yellow livery,and perhaps a couple of the bigger Sheerness bogie wagons,that is if i can get round to scratch building one or two of them!.

Also, as the layout is set firmly in the speedlink era i think it`d be impolite of me not to have a through service that shunted out one or both of the sidings on the way passed!.

But as my storage is limited to four foot in length,i may have to do some trip working`s as well.

re the sketch;it`s really nothing other than a scribble,but i`m glad you like it.....

Brian.

That "scribble" is really good and certainly helps with the visualisation. The way the canal loses itself under the road bridge is a good way of avoiding an awkward transition to the backscene. I've previously thought of having lock gates behind the bridge to also avoid the "join".

The signal box looks like a McKenzie & Holland style, but seems to have more, smaller panes in each window?

Thanks R-Rich,

Even though i can see what i want from an area,it`s sometimes hard to convey it in writing,so i find that a scrrible works better!.

As for the canal,after seeing Mr Gilbert`s excellent little layout: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85974-bakewell-street/

i too thought about a lock scene,but after doing a search of local canal`s i came across a tunnel called 'Gosty Hill' hence the name of the layout.

It also turn`s out that there abit more common that i first thought,as there are about four such canal tunnels within a 10 mile radius of where i live!.

But granted, it does look a bridge in the scrrible....!!

Brian.

It looks like the McKenzie & Holland type built after about 1875.

I did recently buy a GWR architecture book thinking that i might find some plans of the box in it,but with no such luck.

But now i know what type to look for, i might stand a better chance?.

Thanks,

Brian.

It looks like the McKenzie & Holland type built after about 1875.

Just as a little extra info, i`ve found out that the signalbox (Rowley Regis & Blackheath ) was built in 1887,and is a GWR type 24c design.

Brian.

Ok to prove that thing`s work,here is some dodgy video!.

The sound break at the start is my fault,i hit the wrong button on the controller.... :fool:

I should hopefully resume laying the rest of the track over the weekend,as i`m expecting a delivery of track and parts tomorrow.

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Great sound out of that 20, who's sound project is it?

Keep them videos coming. 

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty,

I brought the 20 as is for a bargin price off flee bay about a month ago and the description said it`s a South West Digital sound decoder.

The speaker could do with changing though as the last owner has put a rectangular one in,and as such it stick`s out either side of the fuel tank.

Mind you It could do with turning down a bit though,as i think the last that had it guy was deaf..!!

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

I brought the 20 as is for a bargin price off flee bay about a month ago and the description said it`s a South West Digital sound decoder.

Hi Brian,

Looking nice - love the trackwork (have a thing for that at the moment as you may have guessed) and that 20s runs nice and smooth over it.  Yes sounds like an SWD project to me, same as mine - that familiar clank that Im sure really shouldn't be there!  It annoys the hell out of me, and I've not heard it on a real 20, so not sure what it is.  Mine you its better than my SWD 37 .. when I run that I keep reaching for phone as there is definitely a message arriving ping on the sound track - presumably from the sound recordist mobile!!  Keep thinking I'm going to get it reblown sometime, but not sure who has the best 37 sounds these days. Need to do some research.

Also, apologies if I've missed it (or forgotten it earlier) but really like the way the layout sits, and that sky back scene really does look good - how did you achieve it?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Glad your liking the trackwork.

The 20 may run smoothly over it now, but i have had to fettle a couple of bit`s,namley the crossing vee`s on a couple of the point`s.

This is because i`ve altered the pre-made crossing vee`s that C&L supply,to 31.5mm.All nice and straight forward,except that a couple of the vee nose`s sat a little too high when laid,and so i`ve had to run a file over them to level them off again!.

A bit of rookie error on my part,but then i am more used to building with American spike and tie plate construction or just plain soldered copper clad trackwork.(attached pic`s) 

Well that`s my excuse...... :D

post-19751-0-67176900-1477666914_thumb.jpg

post-19751-0-70073800-1477666915.jpg

"Yes sounds like an SWD project to me, same as mine - that familiar clank that Im sure really shouldn't be there!  It annoys the hell out of me, and I've not heard it on a real 20, so not sure what it is."

I had`nt really taken much notice of the clank to be honest,but i know what you mean.I had a 40 last year in which i put a Howes sound chip.

Now too my ear`s it sounded as though there was this continuous white nosie in the background,but strangley non of mates seemed to pick it up unless they really listened hard?.

But it really got to me!!.

I`ve still got sound to put in a 47 & 25,and i shall be going down the legobiffoman sound route,as i was really impressed with what i`ve heard on you tube,& and first hand at Telford this year.

(usual disclaimers)

This is his 37 sound file;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kryEk2lJGsQ

Rather than explaining the backscene in full again,here is the post;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115491-gosty-hill-small-mid-80s-layout/?p=2452090

Just one little thing to add to it though. It is held in place with 3M spray mount adhesive, (permanent type) but i`ve noticed that in a couple of spot`s the glue does seem to be holding the backscene properly.Easy enough to sort though, i just brush my hand back over it .

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

This is his 37 sound file;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kryEk2lJGsQ

Rather than explaining the backscene in full again,here is the post;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115491-gosty-hill-small-mid-80s-layout/?p=2452090

Thanks for the link to the back scenes post Brian, not really sure how I missed it when i looked back!  I shall go an investigate a bit!  Definitely like his 20 sound, might see about getting one of those for the other 20 I have, that way each one sounds slightly different.

Cheers

Rich

Today i`ve laid the front siding along with the catch point to protect the 'main' from runaway`s.

post-19751-0-06390400-1477855753_thumb.jpg

It`s not quite finished yet,as there are some more slide chairs and a stretcher bar to add,but is pretty much done.

There was one thing that i`ve added,wether or not it`s right i don`t know,but i thought it would be a little different?.

post-19751-0-15144900-1477855755_thumb.jpg

As the front rail mirror`s the far rail, (in length) i decided to add a couple of bolt holes to the end of the rail.Though it remain`s to be seen if there`ll be visible when it`s painted.

As for the rest of the layout,the sleepers are down for the scrap yard siding point,and i should have this built by the end of the week?.

I have also found another little detail to add to my point`s,that being a metal strap that is bolted from the stock rail`s to the switch blades.This is apparently used to stop 'rail creep',which i assume mean`s that it stop`s the  switch blades from sliding forward over time with use?. :scratchhead:

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

Where`s have the last two week`s gone....

Oh well another small update on track!.

The scrap dealer siding`s and point are now in and just need a few finishing details.So apart from laying the main out to the left hand side,along with the remains of the ex-main siding,the track work is now almost complete.

This will just leave two track`s to lay on the four track traverser,(right side) and then it`ll be on to building the removable traverser (left side) to enable run through trains.

Hopefully this can be done before the years end!.

post-19751-0-65924000-1479143414_thumb.jpg

The only other bit of news is the arrival of my two Dapol 08`s..... and Oh sooo nice they are too..... :danced:

post-19751-0-21070000-1479143326_thumb.jpg

As you can see i`ve had both of the blue version`s,because the early numbered one has the forward boxes on both sides,(sorry no idea what there for!) as apposed to only one side.

The plan is for 08202 to be turned into 08466 a railfreight liveried loco,https://www.flickr.com/photos/104413683@N07/14335227144/in/photolist-nQKMAG-zNnEFg-vS77Zn-zJ6HbA-9eP7Xe-sDi8go-FZbX7E-5VmyAN-HNyPVq-7mzWsS-hS4UjS-ixAssn-x6h8ZC-GQQ883-xCnbps-yJHaG6-ovPEU3-BwPpfL-CFkUaT-p1xQWh-ABDg2r-B8R9ZA-BaStsh-tADtho-MCEitj-MSLREU-McT2bT-MKNGoN-MtqC36-KXBME6-LfByRM-KUPuuA-L9ERgA-L9ER4S-LbrvrD-KMvPd7-KfkSWJ-KcmK6w-KiKMuw-KeFRLp-Jq8ZMJ-KaC5jU-AGrnXr-wpGGDQ-tfQ4Eb-rUQpd7-ov8wqu-owfYgX-nvDT3y-dXaDLG

and D3045 to be left in blue,but renumbered 08603,https://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwpeakdaleworkscom/5711703762/in/photolist-9GHYx5-nZ9u8G-arSm3T-deRLS8-qfM7Na-a8JrxY-8cL8Qm-9x5Qza-saAWQU-9mv6NG-4jM2is-8moF7R-ayBT7c-ddmcn2-rCXS96-faX5t7-fQzEqC-a6Ypm3-osA3Lu-4BNFZD-bzg9Wc-5qr6Zi-fd6WGB-oxnDSk-vse9E-7VpYCA-mVoZgK-7oZew3-n765q3-ei8Pey-HMCAwY-6xqAsM-dFeuNk-naa1sa-7GUGHr-qmxQJq-oj7K38-DidHuJ-fDeJui-qnwuGA-j9rjY3-pfb4pm-dbfAmk-9pPcBN-fkVXYr-7MhfG-5yDnCT-jMdqcp-fDeLfK-CZVaMD

Both loco`s where allocated to Bescot in the eighties.

That`s it`s for now,cheers,

Brian.

Welcome back Tove, thought you'd done one!!!!!

Nice 08's, I've got two of the early blue ones and I'd seen the workings out on the Dapol 08 thread that the pre-TOPS version was limited up to 08226 due to the side door hinges being the long ones. Have a look at the Dapol 08 thread as I did ask the question as to which TOPS 08's could the pre-TOPS locos be turned into.

My two are going to be 08068 and 08220 (220 incidentally had red rods!)

I've also got the Digitrains  Zimo sound decoder arriving tomorrow, this decoder has the correct 5 functions available to operate the lighting correctly. Again that info is in the Dapol thread.

I think the forward boxes are compressor boxes, although I'll stand corrected.

The trackwork is looking great as well, can't wait to see the first run through.

Jinty ;)

Welcome back Tove, thought you'd done one!!!!!

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jint`s,

But i`m like a recurring nightmare...you think i`ve  gone,but...... :scared:

Nice 08's, I've got two of the early blue ones and I'd seen the workings out on the Dapol 08 thread that the pre-TOPS version was limited up to 08226 due to the side door hinges being the long ones. Have a look at the Dapol 08 thread as I did ask the question as to which TOPS 08's could the pre-TOPS locos be turned into.

My two are going to be 08068 and 08220 (220 incidentally had red rods!)

I've also got the Digitrains  Zimo sound decoder arriving tomorrow, this decoder has the correct 5 functions available to operate the lighting correctly. Again that info is in the Dapol thread.

Jinty ;)

I`d initially not noticed the differing door hinges between members,but as i`d out lined in this post it should`nt be too hard a job,http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102801-Dapol-08/page-17&do=findComment&comment=2429147

I had forgotten have far back the post was though, as it was buried in amongst some of the C**P that was posted!.

And like you i`m now going to go with the Zimo decoders as well,especially after seeing/hearing Vaughan45`s post on his 08.

I`d just better get my order in quick now!

Also appreciate the kind words on the trackwork.Hopfully it won`t be too long before the run through`s begin,though i am a bit short on stock at the moment,so i need to get building!.

Brian.

Great progress!! I think I've looked at my trains a couple of times in the last few weeks, but that's about all :(

...oh apart from open the box my Dapol 08 came in, & run it up & down a few times :D (the loco, not the box!! :jester:)

Great progress!! I think I've looked at my trains a couple of times in the last few weeks, but that's about all :(

Thanks Jordan.

I know what you mean,sometimes i don`t even want to go into the railway room!.

...oh apart from open the box my Dapol 08 came in, & run it up & down a few times :D (the loco, not the box!! :jester:)

Now that would turn a few head`s if you could do that .....!! :mosking:

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Oh well another small update on track!.

The scrap dealer siding`s and point are now in and just need a few finishing details.So apart from laying the main out to the left hand side,along with the remains of the ex-main siding,the track work is now almost complete.

This will just leave two track`s to lay on the four track traverser,(right side) and then it`ll be on to building the removable traverser (left side) to enable run through trains.

Hopefully this can be done before the years end!.

attachicon.gifScrap dealer sidings (Gosty hill).jpg

The only other bit of news is the arrival of my two Dapol 08`s..... and Oh sooo nice they are too..... :danced:

attachicon.gifDapol 08`s arrive at Gosty hill.jpg

As you can see i`ve had both of the blue version`s,because the early numbered one has the forward boxes on both sides,(sorry no idea what there for!) as apposed to only one side.

The plan is for 08202 to be turned into 08466 a railfreight liveried loco,https://www.flickr.com/photos/104413683@N07/14335227144/in/photolist-nQKMAG-zNnEFg-vS77Zn-zJ6HbA-9eP7Xe-sDi8go-FZbX7E-5VmyAN-HNyPVq-7mzWsS-hS4UjS-ixAssn-x6h8ZC-GQQ883-xCnbps-yJHaG6-ovPEU3-BwPpfL-CFkUaT-p1xQWh-ABDg2r-B8R9ZA-BaStsh-tADtho-MCEitj-MSLREU-McT2bT-MKNGoN-MtqC36-KXBME6-LfByRM-KUPuuA-L9ERgA-L9ER4S-LbrvrD-KMvPd7-KfkSWJ-KcmK6w-KiKMuw-KeFRLp-Jq8ZMJ-KaC5jU-AGrnXr-wpGGDQ-tfQ4Eb-rUQpd7-ov8wqu-owfYgX-nvDT3y-dXaDLG

and D3045 to be left in blue,but renumbered 08603,https://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwpeakdaleworkscom/5711703762/in/photolist-9GHYx5-nZ9u8G-arSm3T-deRLS8-qfM7Na-a8JrxY-8cL8Qm-9x5Qza-saAWQU-9mv6NG-4jM2is-8moF7R-ayBT7c-ddmcn2-rCXS96-faX5t7-fQzEqC-a6Ypm3-osA3Lu-4BNFZD-bzg9Wc-5qr6Zi-fd6WGB-oxnDSk-vse9E-7VpYCA-mVoZgK-7oZew3-n765q3-ei8Pey-HMCAwY-6xqAsM-dFeuNk-naa1sa-7GUGHr-qmxQJq-oj7K38-DidHuJ-fDeJui-qnwuGA-j9rjY3-pfb4pm-dbfAmk-9pPcBN-fkVXYr-7MhfG-5yDnCT-jMdqcp-fDeLfK-CZVaMD

Both loco`s where allocated to Bescot in the eighties.

That`s it`s for now,cheers,

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Wow, you are making progress!  Trackwork looks good mate, well done.  The Dapol 08s are lovely things, I've added a couple to Marsh Lane!  

Anyway, just checking in to say I'm keeping an eye on it ... if only family and work didn't get in the way of modelling!

Rich

Hi Brian,

Wow, you are making progress!  Trackwork looks good mate, well done.  The Dapol 08s are lovely things, I've added a couple to Marsh Lane!  

Anyway, just checking in to say I'm keeping an eye on it ... if only family and work didn't get in the way of modelling!

Rich

Cheers Rich, appreciate the trackwork comment`s.

I`m hoping to get sound into my 08`s by the end of the week,provided the chips and speakers come.It was going to be the 25`s turn, but as you`ve pointed out these are just too nice!.

Thanks for stopping by mate.

Wanted to add my positive comments about the track - looks like you've been busy, and looks damn good!

Best

Simon

Cheers Simon,appreciate the positive comment`s.

Unlike yourself, i`ve not totally hand laid my track,purely to get things moving along.Though i did build the back turnout as that was not planned!.

"Busy"!!

I tend to work in fit`s and start`s,but i`ve got some time off this week before i start a four week run of night`s,so another update is due i think!......... ;)

Cheers,

Brian.

Well i`ve been playing around for the past couple of day`s with a mock up of the bridge,with a view to seeing how it would look hidding the right hand exit.

Well that was the plan......

However i got slightly carried away with the mock up and built three additional low relif buildings as well to sit along the backscene, plus the retaining wall that sit`s in front of them also.

These are all made from foamboard and thick cardboard with brick paper coverings,which were purchased off an internet site,that once downloaded (PDF) allows you to print as much as you want.

Oh yes, also i could`nt resist adding some greenery that was salvaged from my last layout also.

post-19751-0-72120900-1479848812_thumb.jpg

post-19751-0-81976700-1479848813_thumb.jpg

I have to admit i`m quite happy with the way it look`s,so i think i`ll be sticking with this arrangment for when i get round to building them properly.

Cheers,

Brian.

Archived