Jinty in O gauge

steve fay

• RMweb Gold

I`m not usually a follower of O gauge RTR and prefer the finish of an etched kit......... rather than the plastic(moulding) lines and  over thick footpate edges that are the common compromises on

the so called cheaper mass produced locos.

I am very very impressed with this Jinty and the Terrier that has come before for the quality of detail and finish.  To me, they achieve the least plastic looking RTR available.

A very well done to Dapol, i would say they are leaps ahead of similar priced competition.

• Like 2

I now have examples of the Dapol Jinty both the BR crest versions and neither has had the sandbox filler in the 'keyhole' fitted. My mate has the LMS version and that does have them. I have emailed DCC supplies as the Dapol spares people and await a response.

I now have examples of the Dapol Jinty both the BR crest versions and neither has had the sandbox filler in the 'keyhole' fitted. My mate has the LMS version and that does have them. I have emailed DCC supplies as the Dapol spares people and await a response.

Me too - on late crest numbered and un-numbered.

Don't get me wrong, the Dapol jinty is a beautiful model, and I would buy another tomorrow if it fit my layout plans, with or without the sand box filler parts fitted. I just thought it fair to alert buyers to the 'missing' parts. The quality is far better than I could produce from a kit and I can enjoy running trains which is an aspect of the hobby I particularly enjoy. My first O gauge kit build is approaching its eighteenth birthday and is still not complete.

• RMweb Gold

The Rails of Sheffield video a few posts above yours seems to show the same with the parts visible on the LMS version but can't be seen on the BR ones

The Rails of Sheffield video a few posts above yours seems to show the same with the parts visible on the LMS version but can't be seen on the BR ones

I may be wrong on this but did not BR remove the sandbox fillers in the keyholes and put them on the top of the boxes attached to the frames.....or am I imagining things Edited by Crewe North

I may be wrong on this but did not BR remove the sandbox fillers in the keyholes and put them on the top of the boxes attached to the frames.....or am I imagining things

Without looking it up, I seem to recollect that it is the reverse. 7250-7309 had the filler on the tank top but then the remainder were fitted with the keyhole filler.

Pete

• RMweb Premium

Your eyesight must be better than mine, it has the keyhole but I cannot see the filler cap. Annoyingly that's the best photo I've got.

I'm going to the GCR this weekend so I'll have a proper look and get a shot. I'm going to be modelling 47406 so it'll be useful to know.

Yes it has, the small vertical line beneath and to the right of the emblem is the filler. If you click on the photo and zoom in you can see it better.

Pete

Edited by maq1988

Your eyesight must be better than mine, it has the keyhole but I cannot see the filler cap. Annoyingly that's the best photo I've got.

I'm going to the GCR this weekend so I'll have a proper look and get a shot. I'm going to be modelling 47406 so it'll be useful to know.

Apologies I thought that you were referring to the keyhole not the actual filler cap.

Pete

I've just been advised by my retailer that - according to Dapol, the filler caps present on LMS examples within the body of the keyhole were repositioned direct to the top of the sandboxes in BR days, therefore they have not been fitted to the keyhole of BR liveried engines.

I've just been advised by my retailer that - according to Dapol, the filler caps present on LMS examples within the body of the keyhole were repositioned direct to the top of the sandboxes in BR days, therefore they have not been fitted to the keyhole of BR liveried engines.

Crikey!......I'm right for once

As Andrew says, not easy to correct. It might have been better to have left the LMS style filler cap in place rather than an obvious 'hole'?

Ray.

But once the filler lid had been removed by BR it left a ....hole......in fact two holes one in the tank side and one in the footplate where the neck of the filler had poked through.If that bit of plastic (?) With the square hole in it can be removed then it's bang on prototype Edited by Crewe North

The model is correct, by the time of nationalisation the sandbox covers in the keyhole where removed due to water ingress which caused a problem, the cover was placed directly onto the sandbox itself, the order to modify the arrangement was an LMS one and it would be correct for some late LMS one not to have the cover in the keyhole, all locomotives were modified by 1947.

Trust this helps,

Johng

• Like 2

So what about the resulting hole in the footplate through which the filler pipe had previously passed?  Was that left as a hole or was it plated over?  (I'm not referring to the keyhole in the tank side

- I know that remained).

It did indeed remain a hole, you could gain access to the repositioned sandbox filler cap through it or under the valance. The first 50 built had no keyhole and the filler was on the tank top, the remainder were build with the keyhole with the filler,  The LMS issued a work Order in Dec 1944 for the removal of the pipe, this took time to complete, most likely a few years as the loco's were overhauled and lead to jokes about the 'Keyhole' ,aka 'clockwork toy'

johng

Johng